• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Trigger happy soldiers...the bane of many a peaceful demonstration. Looking forward to see where this goes from there.

Indeed, and yet despite Saxe-Weimar sportingly offering an excellent example of how not to manage civil unrest, a good number of other small states are set to repeat their mistakes.

Great scene with the protesters. I always know a good piece of writing when my brain is able to paint a picture concurrently with my reading.

Looking forward to more.

Thank you very much for the kind words, there will be plenty of other revolutions to be covered in future updates.

If you've read "Iron Kingdom" then I think you have read a good, albeit flawed (but then again, I don't think any historical work is perfect except for my own published work! :p) work on German/Prussian political history. But then again, there's so much more to history than political history.

Of course, Seel would probably like to know a respected historian has beaten him to the punch with his 2002 book: "History of Germany, 1780-1918: The Long Nineteenth Century" by David Blackbourn. His best book is (imo) "The Conquest of Nature: Water, Lanscape, and the Making of Modern Germany". Of course, these books are not necessarily political history per se, indeed, Conquest of Nature is an environmental history (and since I am not a proponent of political philsophy, but rather one of Annales School, I have a greater preference for such works).

Also a good read to be introduced to German philosophies of the period is Frederick Beiser "The Romantic Imperative: The Concept of Early German Romanticism". Being trained in German Enlightenment philosophy, I would also say any period philosophical works by Kant, Fichte, Schelling, and Hegel are also good reads if you wish to continue building on Clark's assertion that Prussia/Germany wasn't a reactionary militant state but a very progressive and liberal one (to which I agree since all the major German philosophers of the 19th Century laid the foundation for this change in Prussian and German political philosophy and identity)!

Ah, I pinched my title from elsewhere as well! Another one added to the ever growing reading list!

I'm liking the Young The German Empire Movement very much! More power to them! (And a few more conciliatory soldiers, while we're at it. Gunning down liberal, peaceable demonstrators isn't the best way to get people (well, me... :D) to go against their cause...

I'm very much looking forward to seeing where this new liberal spring will lead. Hopefully we'll get a proper constitution out of Freidrich Wilhelm. He seems rational enough from the brief places we've seen him thus far. (Incidentally, did you watch the BBC's 37 Days last week? I pray that your Wilhelm II – should he indeed exist – will, when the time comes, not be so bellicose.)

The Young Germans will play a huge role in shaping the 1840s, and beyond, you can rest assured Densley! I did not see 37 days, but it sounds like something I'd enjoy - hopefully the iPlayer can offer me a chance to catch up!

Nice AAR! :) But how did the Prussian Kings become Emperors? o.o

Thank you, and welcome! You're quite right, I'm a bit early with my usage of Kaiser - but it's a much better sounding title than König!

I must say, the first stage of the Young German Revolution was vividly written. Will this be the "Bloody Sunday" of a future "Young The German Empire" :)p) nationwide revolt?

Thank you very much! Saxe-Weimar was but a small Duchy in the confederation, but the most recent update shows the wider significance the revolt there can take on. It remains to he seen what the Prussian and Austrian response will be to this challenge to the status quo, however.

Thank you all for so many excellent comments, please keep them coming!

So pan-Germanism finally rears its head, then? Saxe-Weimar might not be the most prestigious of nations to inherit, but its annexation is certainly important from a symbolic aspect. I wonder how many others will follow?

I can't say Ludwig Ier is a particular favourite of mine. Not many reactionaries rank highly in my list of historical figures, to be honest, but now that he's intent on actively crushing the Young The German Empire Movement I have reason to dislike him even more. I do hope they'll make a notable impact in Prussia – and not because of the death toll...

Looking forward to more German politics!

So pan-Germanism finally rears its head, then? Saxe-Weimar might not be the most prestigious of nations to inherit, but its annexation is certainly important from a symbolic aspect. I wonder how many others will follow?

I can't say Ludwig Ier is a particular favourite of mine. Not many reactionaries rank highly in my list of historical figures, to be honest, but now that he's intent on actively crushing the Young The German Empire Movement I have reason to dislike him even more. I do hope they'll make a notable impact in Prussia – and not because of the death toll...

Pan-Germanism comes from Germanic Romanticism and ideas of Christian Germanic Pantheism! Hurray Romanticism... implicitly hidden in the contents of this AAR! Damn it Fichte, he rears his ugly head again. :glare: BTW, Fichte's oration, "Address to the German Nation" (1808) is generally considered the birth of the German Nationalist Ideology - and Fichte of course is among my favorite Romanticist Philosophers... go figure! It's a very good read, I highly recommend it - and since you speak German (or are learning German) you can read it in Deutsch! :p

Prussia was able to come out of the Liberal Revolution with some additional land, good deal. Thought we were going to see a French-Prussian war against the rest of the great powers.

Still a lot to annex, but a good start nonetheless, plus reforms :)

I enjoyed 37 Days, though I wish the French, Russians and Austrians had played some role rather than being mere (m/p)uppets in the background – I guess they only had so much budget and time to focus on the British and German stories.

Is crown from the gutter gone? Or why did it not fire and why did they proposed annexation

So who won the elections? :huh:

BaU3goj.jpg

The Alsace Crisis

As the Prussian Army entered the proud city of Weimar, they were greeted enthusiastically as national liberators. The German tricolours had multiplied during the rebellion, and seemed to fly from every building, hang from every window, and be brandished by every hand of those who lined the streets. Internationally, the Prussian’s were keen to downplay the nationalist element of the rebellion. To the Austrian’s, they explained that they were there to restore order to the rebellious province and contain the spread of the liberal insurrections. Vienna, itself gripped by rebelliousness, was in no state to do anything other than protest at the annexation. Bavaria found themselves torn – an alliance with Prussia was an attractive option to help secure her new position as the lesser of the great powers, but any moves to unity in the north presented a huge challenge to Bavarian independence. Ultimately, the Austrians and Bavarians were unable to resist the Prussia action, and so in public it seemed that the three foremost powers in the Bund were content with the Prussian annexation – at least while the fires of the revolution continued to burn throughout Germany.

In private, however, the three rivals furiously jostled for influence in what was seen as the key to the North German states – Saxony. The Duchy, traditionally a rival of Prussia, had been drawn closer toward her northern neighbours sphere by the shear economic weight – it was Prussia capital that built the new railways, Prussian good which supplied the Saxon factories, and the Prussian markets where the finished goods were sold. The Austrians were viewed as the traditional protector, the counterweight which could resist Prussian power, and so were well connected with the upper classes. Bavaria had the weakest hand, but could not be ignored while she held the strategic fortress at Bayreuth.

The mood in Leipzig was shifting toward Prussia however. In 1844, Berlin once again flexed her financial muscles and provided the capital to expand many of the factories. By this point, Prussians owned over 25 million Deutschmarks of industry in the Duchy, a figure approaching 40% of the total. Austria did her best to maintain her position, periodically securing the expulsion of their Prussian counterparts, but it was difficult to see how Leipzig could resist the pull of Berlin.

Internationally, the great oriental crisis began to approach its conclusion. The Ottoman armies, bolstered by British, Russian and Austrian support, have secured numerous victories in the Levant, and were in command of the Sinai Peninsula. With the threat to the core territory of the Ottomans lifted, international enthusiasm waned, and the British in particular wanted to secure a negotiated peace. Egypt would remain nominally independent, but all the disputed territory would be returned to the Sultan.

VU8VMgH.jpg

From the perspective of the Great Powers, the oriental crisis had essentially maintained the status quo. The Ottomans were no longer considered by anyone to constitute one of the Great Powers, but her territorial integrity had been maintained, bringing a measure of stability back to the region, and crucially, from the British perspective, Russian ambitions on the Bosporus were checked. Austria had prevented any collapse of Ottoman power on her borders, which at times of internal strife was a relief. France had established herself as the friend of Egypt, but not to the extent they had envisaged and indeed, not of the strong Egypt they had hoped. However, many of the powers had entered the conflict in the hope that international action would relieve the domestic pressure they were all coming to feel, albeit to varying degrees. They were all to be disappointed.

The liberal agitation was intensifying across Europe. In Austria, the government was effectively paralysed as protestors turned to violence, constructing barricades around the main squares. Metternich’s carefully constructed monopoly over political power began to fray, and demands for liberalism became intermingled with demands for greater autonomy among the many nationalities that made up the Empire. France was also paralysed, the Orleans Monarchy looked like it may be about to fall. In Prussia, the elections of Frederick Wilhelm’s willingness to engage in some form of reform softened the demands, but nevertheless the state continued to struggle under the pressure from the agitators.

The election of 1844 had on the face of things returned a strong majority for the conservatives, however, in reality the factions were not the most cohesive. Many members returned relied on local power bases and swore only notional loyalty to the parties. The fractural nature of the played into the hands of the conservatives – as supporting the status quo is easy with a majority but easier still when the opposition cannot agree an effective programme of reform. The political climate, therefore, was not at all troubling for the Prussian executive. However, the pressure on the streets was more difficult to ignore. In July 1845, Frederick Wilhelm decided to concede another key demand of the reformers – and significantly reduced the censorship laws which had limited the press in Prussia. The new free press would allow newspapers to circulate, even if they openly criticised the government of the day. This reform did much to appease the liberal agitators, particularly in the larger cities where underground liberal papers had already gained significant traction. At a time where many European governments were clamping down and refusing to give an inch, the Prussian’s appeared willing to make concessions from a position of strength, winning much admiration among the populace.

Elsewhere, the Young German revolution continued to gain traction, particularly among the smaller Duchies. Tensions boiled over in Brunswick next, and soon 15,000 angry peasants (supported by a significant body of cavalry) laid siege to the capital. In response, neighbouring Hanover raised a force of 18,000 to attempt to prevent the spread of any agitation. However, the Hanoverians were not minded to cross the border. Prussia too massed 30,000 men in nearby Magdeburg, but also had little appetite to cross the border. Austria expressed outrage that no action was being taken to defend the borders of the German Bund, and spoke of arranging a southern German force to restore order to the north. However, events elsewhere soon drew attention away from domestic politics in a small Duchy. On the 14th September 1845 a revolution erupted in Alsace Lorraine. Made up mainly of German sympathisers, demanding the establishment of an independent state which would join the German Bund. There were some within the movement who expressed more liberal tendencies, and suggested that a union with Prussia would be a better result. Frederick Wilhelm, unwilling to jeopardise the cordial relations with France, was reluctant to declare support for the rebels. German liberals, although drawn to the elements within the movement that advocated steps towards a unified, reformist Germany, were concerned with the large agrarian conservative elements that dominated the movement, and therefore there was little pressure from the reformist camp for Prussian involvement.

MZ5TK55.jpg

Austria, meanwhile, had no qualms about declaring their full hearted support for Alsace. Rebels, supported by Austrian funds and taking advantage of France being distracted with revolt throughout the country, soon overran much of the area around Strasbourg and Colmar. France, worried by her internal weakness, reached out to Russia for support, and also made overtures to Berlin. Austria managed to secure the support of Belgium, but found herself facing a dangerous two front war which she could not hope to win. Vienna sent her own ambassadors to Berlin, but Frederick Wilhelm threw them out without consultation. In January 1846, Prussia declared her full support for France. Austria now did not face a dangerous alliance, but a catastrophic one.

HnLztl4.jpg

Prussia marshalled her forces, and prepared for an invasion of Bohemia. Smaller forces lined the Belgian border, while France managed to defeat the rebels and regain control of Alsace and Lorraine. Austria were forced to split their forces three-way, and looked unable to hold the line on any of the fronts where the conflict would erupt. Prussia and Russia entered discussions to agree a partition of Austrian lands in the north and east of the Empire, and the French were prepared to support a Prussian initiative to overthrow the Bund and establish a more formal dominance over the North German states. However, the Prussians were unwilling to guarantee French ownership of Alsace Lorraine, and the French themselves were reluctant to commit to a war while they remained so weak internally. The Austrians and French began to communicate in secret, and privately agreed that neither would benefit from a general war. Both were growing scared of the growing Prussian strength, and the assertive way in which Prussia had involved herself in the crisis spoke of a state with grand ambitions on the European stage. On the 20th February 1846, the two states agreed to step back from the brink. Austria would give up her attempt to secure freedom in Alsace, recognising the fait accompli that France had reasserted control in the region. France, for her part, would end her threats to take military action. An uneasy peace settled over the Great Powers of Europe.

Saxe-Weimar is very much a baby step, but grabbing it unopposed is nevertheless a triumph for Prussia. It is far from the last we will hear from the Young German Revolutionaries!

Pan-Germanism comes from Germanic Romanticism and ideas of Christian Germanic Pantheism! Hurray Romanticism... implicitly hidden in the contents of this AAR! Damn it Fichte, he rears his ugly head again. :glare: BTW, Fichte's oration, "Address to the German Nation" (1808) is generally considered the birth of the German Nationalist Ideology - and Fichte of course is among my favorite Romanticist Philosophers... go figure! It's a very good read, I highly recommend it - and since you speak German (or are learning German) you can read it in Deutsch! :p

Volksmarshall, as always I am impressed by the breadth and depth of your philosophical knowledge, puts mine to shame! That's another historical text on my reading list, although it will be a while until I can make a dent in it!

Prussia was able to come out of the Liberal Revolution with some additional land, good deal. Thought we were going to see a French-Prussian war against the rest of the great powers.

It may happen one day, although the most recent update shows that beneath the surface, neither France not Prussia truly trust each other. Unless the Prussians were to fully renounce any claim to Alsace, a full alliance in a general war appears unlikely. However, for the time being it suits the two states to remain on good terms.

Still a lot to annex, but a good start nonetheless, plus reforms :)

I enjoyed 37 Days, though I wish the French, Russians and Austrians had played some role rather than being mere (m/p)uppets in the background – I guess they only had so much budget and time to focus on the British and German stories.

Indeed, there is a huge amount to do if Prussia is to make a serious bid for German unity.

Is crown from the gutter gone? Or why did it not fire and why did they proposed annexation

Crown from the gutter didn't fire - I'm not sure what the conditions are in PoD for this event. If it had fired, I would have refused it. However enlightened Frederick Wilhelm may be, he still has some pride!

So who won the elections? :huh:

In the end, the election was of limited significance. I didn't really make a major attempt to support any one side during the campaign, and for the time being the Prussian constitution ensures that the parliament remains weak. Unlike the powerful Liberals who Bismarck had to contend with, there is no united block and crucially no power yet to reject the budget. Future elections will be more important, and I'll treat them to a little more prominance in light of that.

Thanks everyone for the comments as always!

Realpolitik at its best ;) I wanted things to move to war so I could form the NGF - I should have mobilised which would have ratcheted up the temperature.

I have a feeling things might change between France and Prussia in the future...;)

Ah! And so we see the true fragility of the Concery of Europe (and here also the title becomes relevant in a very big way.) Elsaß is indeed an interesting area to start with in terms of crises. I do wonder if you've positioned yourself into a bit of a corner now. I would seem very strange to renege on France and go after Elsaß now. Time will tell, I guess.

Great stuff, as ever. :)

Some nice chunky goodness here.

Thanks very much!

Caught up, fantastic update!

Good thing you didn't go to war with my beloved Habsburgs, I worry you would have annihilated them. :(

I think with France onside I'd have had to actively try and lose that war, but I also fear that with France being the alliance leader and their only goal to prevent the secession, I may have struggled to actually secure any material benefits. It would certainly be easier to deal with the Austrians on my own terms - at least this settlement reduces the likelihood of a Franco-Austrian accord against me!

I have a feeling things might change between France and Prussia in the future...;)

It is almost inevitable that we will collide, but it makes sense to make as much use of them as possible in the meantime.

Ah! And so we see the true fragility of the Concery of Europe (and here also the title becomes relevant in a very big way.) Elsaß is indeed an interesting area to start with in terms of crises. I do wonder if you've positioned yourself into a bit of a corner now. I would seem very strange to renege on France and go after Elsaß now. Time will tell, I guess.

Great stuff, as ever. :)

Regrettably for now we must use the Francophone Alsace - I'll do my beat to give you cause to revert to the (true) geographic title! From an expansionist point of view, creating Elsass at this time would just have meant an additional south German minor to rival Austria for influence in, whereas a conflict with Austria could have brought material benefit.

Peace just about won this crisis, but the atmosphere in Europe feels volatile. It seems unlikely that the post Napoleonic settlement will survive the decade.

Thanks all for your comments, next update coming tonight!

BaU3goj.jpg

The Springtime of Nations; February 1846 – July 1848

With the crisis over Alsace drawing to a close anger was building in Prussia. Few could understand why Prussia had sided against those calling for pan German unity. A view was formed that Prussia had put her personal territorial ambitions ahead of the good of the German people, and although no one doubted that she was spoiling for a fight against the Austrians, it was less clear that she would be the defender of all Germans. However, revolutionary sentiment across the rest of Germany had not abated. In February, the next state to be engulfed in open revolt was Hesse-Darmstadt. The northern enclave was overrun by a small force of 8,000, but more seriously 14,000 rose in the capital, dispersing the small defensive force.

Even Prussia herself, who had won the most plaudits among the German states for her response to the demands of the reformers, came under sustained pressure. The climate in the large cities was tense – military presence was noticeably more visible and protests frequently threatened to boil over. In early March the Prussian Government eased the restrictions which surrounded all political parties save the Konservative Partei. On the face of it, all parties now had equal rights to stand in elections, although there was still concern about polling corruption in many cases.

The epicentre of unrest was Saxony, where the police and army were barely managing to contain a liberal insurrection. The situation was exacerbated by the large numbers of Austrian and Prussian agents who fought a (subterfuge) campaign for influence. Corruption pervaded all levels of society, while the rule of law continued gradually deteriorate. Austrian sponsored agents began to step up their attacks against all those suspected of cooperating with the Prussians, pushing the two rivals ever closer to war. In Berlin, the state began to focus more and more resource on expanding the armed forces, and equipping the existing armies with the latest rifles and equipment. Carl von Clausewitz, a General during the Napoleonic wars, had written extensively on the art of war, and his writings gained greater influence in the years following his death.

H9GQ0Yn.jpg

By July, the revolt in Brunswick succeeded in establishing a new revolutionary government. The predictable petition for annexation arrived in Berlin before the end of the month, and Frederick Wilhelm was delighted to acquiesce. Brunswick linked the previously separated Prussian territory in Rhineland with the Brandenburger heartlands, creating a contagious state. The Austrian reaction was to express their outrage and demand an immediate restoration of the status quo. However, none of the South German states, much less the North German states, expressed any desire to support the Austrian action, and Vienna did not feel secure enough to challenge Prussia alone.

The Austrian failure to act against the reformist forces applied a torch to the tinder wood stack that was revolutionary sentiment. Over 50,000 rose in September in Hesse-Darmstadt alone, expressing their desire to join the Prussian state as soon as was practical. The revolt was far larger than any of the last decade and within a matter of days had overrun the loyalist forces, and delivered their request to join with Prussia.

kKU81mF.jpg

Austria reacted by stepping up their pressure on pro-Prussian sentiment in Saxony. The Duchy came to represent the fate of the North German states – with it Prussia could not be prevented from overrunning all of North Germany, but without it she could not truly claim to dominate the region. Austria was determined that Leipzig would be the line in the sand which Prussian soldiers would never be allowed to cross. Austria used her influence to strongly undermine Prussia in the capital, pinning an attack of the Saxon heir on those connected with Berlin. This severely hindered the Prussian attempt to draw the Duchy into her sphere. Despite this setback Prussian influence, and no less importantly her capital, continued to speak loudly in Leipzig. By January, Prussia had built her position enough to remove Saxony from the Austrian sphere.

tOOWntY.jpg

Throughout Germany, there was a clear sense of momentum. One by one, smaller Duchies continued to fall under the influence of the revolutionary forces. Hesse-Kassel was the next state to face an insurrection, again on a vastly larger scale than the earlier uprisings. Over 40,000 men rose in February 1847, very quickly overwhelming the small loyalist force. By May, the familiar requests were sent to Berlin, and soon her control over central Germany grew.

MudSmgh.jpg

The Prussian state continued to carefully monitor the more radical elements in society, looking for the slightest sign of an insurrection closer to home. In July, Frederick Wilhelm proposed that Parliament introduce legislation to reduce some of the restrictions on the franchise, limiting the weightings which had protected landowners voting strength. These were enthusiastically greeted by the captains of industry with their ‘new’ wealth, and effectively kneecapped any established support for major constitutional reform.

Prussia was to be the exception, however. Across the continent, revolutionary sentiment erupted. The Netherlands, France and Austria all found themselves gripped by a full blown social conflict. The breadth of the revolt encouraged like-minded individuals throughout Europe, and it soon appeared that the continent was to be engulfed in an upheaval that had not been seen since the revolutionary wars of the late 18th century. This came to be known as the ‘Springtime of Nations’. Despite the political reforms, there were still an estimated 360,000 involved in the Jacobin movement in Prussia.

h2vbWDv.jpg

Over 25,000 rebels rose in Saxe-Coburg-Gotha in September, and as happened elsewhere overcame loyalist defence with stunning ease. It took only two months for the rebels to gain control, and yet another Duchy passed into the growing Prussia. None of Prussia’s neighbours were in any state to act against the ever increasing strength. France was overcome by the end of the month, with barricades set up in the capital. The King fled towards the end of the year, and a second French Republic was swiftly declared. A large Republican uprising also erupted in the Netherlands, with over 80,000 alone on the Prussian border.

oUKrR0U.jpg

With no threat from her European rivals, Prussia moved from a benevolent neutral position to actively fostering revolutionary sentiment throughout the German Confederation. In 1848 alone, revolts erupted in almost all North German states, including both Saxony and Hanover, but far the two largest. Over 120,000 in Hanover and another 100,000 in Saxony. There was no hope for either state to resist these forces, and between March and June three states fell to revolutionary governments, and all joined Prussia. This increased the Prussian population by some 4 million people, almost doubled the number of sea ports, and dramatically increased access to critical raw materials like iron.

K7Fg0Pe.jpg

The number of independent North German states had been reduced to just 10, two of whom were mere enclaves within Prussia. Frederick Wilhelm immediately began recruiting new armies which would increase the Prussian standing army by around 20%. A major revolt broke out in Bavaria, capturing much of the country, while Austria faced an existential crisis as Hungary declared independence. Around one third of the Empire’s population was separated from Vienna. Never had there been such a gulf between the relative power of Austria and Prussia; at the same time as Berlin’s power extended across Germany, Austria was locked in a civil war, with her major allies overrun by rebels. Berlin immediately began work on fabricating claims on the Bohemian provinces of the Empire.

2XSEHoJ.jpg

Prussia sent her feelers out to France, where the new government were found to be receptive to Prussian aims. The Franco-Prussian alliance had been allowed to lapse, but a liberal Prussia was viewed as being a crucial supportive neighbour as the new state fought to establish herself among the great powers. Austria remained the voice of reaction; although it was a voice which had been effectively silenced by internal strife, there were few countries willing to actively support her plight. Frantic diplomatic missions moved back and forward between Vienna and Berlin, with the Austrians desperate to avoid a conflict at this time. Agitation was beginning to rear its head in the Italian and Polish provinces of the empire as the Austrian armies struggled to contain Hungarian forces.

The Dutch government was soon toppled, the second Liberal regime to emerge over the course of the revolutions. With Prussia championing a united Germany, and the reactionary governments that remained in Europe looking like they were on the ropes, it appeared that the revolt had succeeded. At the end of July, the Liberal revolutions came to an end. Europe had entered a new age.

h6GlUg4.jpg

Ah...the end of the revolution. It always makes me tear up. :( Prussia is growing and growing, but the French and Dutch revolutions don't bode well. Hopefully the Austrians won't be too hard to take over. ;)

Good to see Prussia having influence over Saxony, hopefully we'll see the NGF soon. Nice update.

Thank you. The NGF shouldn't be too far away after the liberal revolutions, and with Austria in her current plight I'll hopefully be able to do more than just secure the northern states.

Ah...the end of the revolution. It always makes me tear up. :( Prussia is growing and growing, but the French and Dutch revolutions don't bode well. Hopefully the Austrians won't be too hard to take over. ;)

The French and Dutch revolutions do not create too many problems - their instability problems offer Prussia room to manoeuvre. The Austrian diplomacy has also left her dangerously isolated - save her southern Germany allies and Italian puppets there is no one who will intervene on her side. The Hungarian revolution is a major blow too - a number of Austrian units defected and of course some casualties have been suffered during the conflict.