• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

cybrxkhan

Going to Scarborough Fair
57 Badges
Jul 14, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
VIET MUSIC
Carefully chosen music selections to enhance immersion and your game experience!

Latest Music packs: Celtic 5, Middle East 5, and Random Medieval 7
A new Compilation Pack, the Music Compilation Pack 7, is also available.

Click here to see all the Music Downloads

Click here to see further Recommended Music

VIET Music is a series of music packs designed to add a variety of interesting and diverse music to the game, ranging from Renaissance guitars to Mongol throat singing and West African drums. They can be downloaded as separate packs or in compilation collections of 8 packs each. This thread is designed to be an archive of all the music packs I make. 1-2 new music packs are uploaded with every VIET/HIP update.

All music is legally available online, so you don't have to worry about legal issues. I have provided information in every download as to where I got the music (check out the links included in them - many of the sites have more music that you can download for free). Except in rare cases, all music included can play at any time (unlike DLC music which was originally programmed to only play in certain situations). However, almost all songs are programmed to be more likely in certain situations.

While these music packs are intended to be used alongside VIET, they can be used with any mods, or with no mods at all. In other words, the music modules DO NOT require VIET or any other mod at all!

If you want more information on adding your own music, or customizing when music can be played, look at this thread here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?593803-Adding-Own-Music-Mini-Tutorial-(Or-What-it-s-got-code-No-don-t-run-away

Modding in your own music is extremely easy, and can be learned in a matter of seconds even if you have no experience with modding or coding. I highly suggest doing so to further customize your CKII experience!

Installation Instructions

1. Download the .rar file.
2. Open up the file before unzipping the files. Look inside the correct folder for the music you want.
3. Copy the contents into "crusader kings ii/music." Note that you must extract both the .ogg files AND the text file. The text file is the code necessary to allow the game to get the new music. For instance, if you want to downnload the "Middle East 1" music, go into the "Middle East 1" folder, and copy "middle_east_1.txt" AND all the .ogg files into vanilla's music folder. Make sure you don't copy the other text files - this will cause CTDs!
4. Launch CKII.
5. Play, and have fun!
6. Post suggestions, feedback, complaints, and other comments on the VIET Music thread.

Last edited:
Reactions:
DOWNLOADS

Music Compilations

For those who don't want to do individual downloads or just want them all - each compilation consists of 8 music packs, in Chronological Order of when they were released, so they won't always include the latest music packs. This is merely for the convenience of those who didn't download the many previous music packs.

• Music Pack 1: African, Celtic, Chant Collection, French Renaissance, Hindu, Italian Renaissance, Middle East, Random Renaissance
  • Music Pack 2: Celtic 2, English Renaissance, French Renaissance 2, German Renaissance, German Renaissance 2, Medieval Mediterranean, Spanish Guitar, Turkish
  • Music Pack 3: Celtic 3, English Renaissance 2, Iranian, Nature Sounds, Random Medieval, Random Renaissance 2, Spanish Renaissance, West African
  • Music Pack 4: American, English Renaissance 3, Finno-Ugric, Jewish, Jewish 2, Middle East 2, Random Medieval 2, Silk Road
  • Music Pack 5: Celtic 4, East Asian, Greek, Hindu 2, Latin, Random Medieval 3, Random Medieval 4, Silk Road 2
  • Music Pack 6: East Asian 2, English Renaissance 4, French Renaissance 3, Middle East 3, Nature Sounds 2, Silk Road 3, Random Medieval 5, Random Mediterranean
  • Music Pack 7: Celtic 5, French Renaissance 4, Greek 2, Middle East 4, Middle East 5, Northern Pagan, Orthodox Chant, Random Medieval 6, Random Mediterranean 2, Random Medieval 6, Random Medieval 7

Individual Music Packs

Pick and choose what you want:

• African: traditional African music, less likely to fire for those not of the East African, West African, or North African culture groups
  • American: music from various native American cultures, more likely to play for American cultures or those who have courtiers from American cultures
  • Celtic: Irish and Scottish music, more likely to fire for the Celtic culture group
  • Celtic 2: Irish and Scottish music, more likely to fire for the Celtic culture group
  • Celtic 3: Celtic music, more likely to fire for the Celtic culture
  • Celtic 4: Celtic music, more likely to fire for the Celtic culture group
  • Celtic 5: Celtic music, more likely to fire for the Celtic culture group***NEW!!!***
  • Chant Collection: various Gregorian and sacred Catholic chants, more likely to fire for Catholics
  • East Asian: East Asian music, more likely to fire for those of the Sinic/East Asian and Serindian culture groups or those with Sinic courtiers or provinces.
  • East Asian 2: East Asian music, more likely to fire for those of the Sinic/East Asian and Serindian culture groups or those with Sinic courtiers or provinces.
  • English Renaissance: English music from the Renaissance, more like to fire for West Germanic, Celtic, and Norman characters.
  • English Renaissance 2: English music from the Renaissance, more like to fire for West Germanic, Celtic, and Norman characters.
  • English Renaissance 3: English music from the Renaissance, more like to fire for West Germanic, Celtic, and Norman characters.
  • English Renaissance 4: English music from the Renaissance, more like to fire for West Germanic, Celtic, and Norman characters.
  • Finno-Ugric: traditional Finnish, Estonian, and Sami music, more likely to fire for Finno-Ugric characters and Finnish Pagans
  • French Renaissance: French music from the Renaissance, more likely to fire for Dutch, Norman, Frankish, and Occitans.
  • French Renaissance 2: French music from the Renaissance, more likely to fire for Dutch, Norman, Frankish, and Occitans.
  • French Renaissance 3: French music from the Renaissance, more likely to fire for Dutch, Norman, Frankish, and Occitans.
  • French Renaissance 4: French music from the Renaissance, more likely to fire for Dutch, Norman, Frankish, and Occitans.
  • German Renaissance: German music from the Renaissance, more likely to fire for those with Central Germanic or Bohemian cultures, or are part of the HRE
  • German Renaissance 2: German music from the Renaissance, more likely to fire for those with Central Germanic or Bohemian cultures, or are part of the HRE
  • Greek: Greek music, more likely to play for Greek/Griko characters or those which Greek/Griko capitals.
  • Greek 2: Greek music and orthodox chants, more likely to play for Greek/Griko characters, those which Greek/Griko capitals, or those of the eastern Churches.
  • Hindu: Various music from the Indian subcontinent, more likely to play for those of the Indo-Aryan and Dravidian culture groups, or have a demesne province with such a culture
  • Hindu 2: Various music from the Indian subcontinent, more likely to fire for those of the Indo-Aryan or Dravidian cultures, or have demesne provinces with such cultures.
  • Iranian: Iranian songs, more likely to fire for Muslims, Zoroastrians, those in the Iranian culture group, and the Turkish and Chagatai cultures.
  • Italian Renaissance: Italian music from the Renaissance, more likely to fire for the Latin culture group, patricians, or Republics.
  • Jewish: Jewish music and hymns, more likely to play for characters of a Jewish religion or culture, or those who have Jewish courtiers in their court.
  • Jewish 2: Jewish music and hymns, more likely to play for characters of a Jewish religion or culture, or those who have Jewish courtiers in their court.
  • Latin: Music from Iberia and Italy, more likely to play for characters of the Iberian or a Latin culture groups.
  • Medieval Mediterranean: Various medieval music from the Mediterranean, more likely to fire for the Iberian and Latin culture groups.
  • Middle East 1: Various Middle Eastern music, more likely to fire for non-Christians and non-Pagans.
  • Middle East 2: More likely to fire for Muslims and Zoroastrians, as well as those of the Iranian, Arabic, Indian, North African, Andalusian Arabic, Turkish, Armenian, Georgian, and Bukharim cultures.
  • Middle East 3: Middle Eastern music, more likely to play for various Middle Eastern and Central Asian cultures, as well as Muslims and Zoroastrians
  • Middle East 4: Middle Eastern music, more likely to play for various Middle Eastern and Central Asian cultures, as well as Muslims and Zoroastrians
  • Middle East 5: Middle Eastern music, more likely to play for various Middle Eastern and Central Asian cultures, as well as Muslims and Zoroastrians***NEW!!!***
  • Nature Sounds: Ambient nature sounds, more likely to fire for certain cultures depending on "song".
  • Nature Sounds 2: Ambient sounds, more likely to fire in certain situations depending on "song".
  • Northern Pagan: Music for northern Europe, more like to play for Norse, Baltic, Slavic, or Finnish Pagans, or those of the North Germanic, Baltic, Slavic, and Finno-Ugric culture groups
  • Orthodox Chant: Chants and prayers for the eastern Churches, more likely to play for characters who are of various Christian Orthodox religions
  • Random Medieval: Random Medieval music, more likely to fire for Catholics, and those of the Iberian, Latin, and Gallic culture groups
  • Random Medieval 2: Random Medieval music, more likely to fire for Catholics
  • Random Medieval 3: More likely to fire for Christians.
  • Random Medieval 4: More likely to fire for Christians
  • Random Medieval 5: More likely to fire for Catholics and Western/Central Europeans
  • Random Medieval 6: More likely to fire for Catholics and Western/Central Europeans
  • Random Medieval 7: More likely to fire for Catholics and Western/Central Europeans***NEW!!!***
  • Random Mediterranean: Random Mediterranean music, more likely to fire for various Mediterranean cultures
  • Random Mediterranean 2: Random Mediterranean music, more likely to fire for various Mediterranean cultures
  • Random Renaissance: Random Renaissance music, more likely to fire for Christians.
  • Random Renaissance 2: Random Renaissance music, more likely to fire for Catholics.
  • Silk Road: Music from cultures across the Silk Road, more likely to play for those of the Altaic, Iranian, Himalayan culture groups, or the Khitan or Alan cultures, or the Tengri Pagan, Zoroastrian, or Gnostic religions
  • Silk Road 2: Music from cultures across the Silk Road, more likely to play for characters of the Buddhist or Tengri Pagan religions, or those of Altaic, Indian, East Asian, or Iranian cultures.
  • Silk Road 3:Japanese "Gagaku" (imperial court music), more likely to play for those of the Himalayan, Sinic, Serindian, Iranian, or Altaic culture groups, or the Buddhist, Tengri Pagan, Zoroastrian, or Gnostic religions. (See this post here for more info.)
  • Spanish Guitar: Classical guitar music from Spain, less likely to fire for non-Iberians.
  • Spanish Renaissance: Spanish music from the Renaissance, more like to fire for Iberians.
  • Turkish: Turkish music, more likely to fire for Turkish, Azeri, Armenian, Georgian, and Kurdish characters.
  • West African: West African music, more likely to fire for West African or West African pagan characters.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Further Music Recommendations

Listed in this post are artists, albums, and/or songs I listen to while playing CKII, but can't put in my music packs due to legal issues. I've listed them by alphabetical order of artist or source, and linked an example (or several) wherever possible. Click on their names to hear the examples. If you don't know how to add music to the game, it's real easy - just see this tutorial here.

• Anno 1404 - good music particularly for the Middle East and Mediterranean in my opinion, the song I linked to is a particular favorite of mine.
  • Cantiga - these guys do medieval, renaissance, and some Celtic music in a very easy to listen style. Might sound too childlike for some, but I like them very much and recommend all their albums.
  • Children of the Nile - although the game is an ancient Egyptian city builder, the music can work for the Middle East. In fact the composer used middle eastern styles and instruments for the soundtrack, so a number of the songs can fit any middle eastern era, in my opinion.
  • Cusco - Cusco's a New Age group that's been around for quite a while, and I've been listening to their music since I was a kid. Anyways, as their name implies a lot of their stuff is Native American/MesoAmerican-inspired, but they go into other themes.
  • Eluveitie - Celtic songs and music, courtesy of Ordep. Would work for... Celts, obviously; some of these songs have a more ancient and mystical feel then the usual Celtic music packs we have. Here are some more samples of their music.
  • Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom - Emperor was the last of Sierra's traditional city-builder games, which also included Caesar, Pharaoh, and Zeus. Anyhow, the music, composed by Jeff van Dyck of Total War fame, is pretty nice, and while obviously these songs are best for the Khitan/Chinese, some of them even fit Central Asia/the Silk Road, in my opinion.
  • Hiroshi Nagashima - not a lot of his stuff can be found online, but he has one album, Oasis, that fits the Middle East. It may be not ambient enough for CKII for some, but it's worth a try.
  • Jordi Savall - pretty good musician of old music, generally he focuses on Europe but he has done Middle Eastern stuff, such as his renditions of Dimitrie Cantemir's Ottoman music, which I adore.
  • Jsayles - it's a wonderful site that has a lot of late medieval and renaissance pieces interpreted for guitar, and all for free.
  • Kingdom of Heaven - this is a movie about the crusades. Should fit very well with Crusader Kings. There are songs in the soundtrack that fit both Europe and the Middle East.
  • Knights of Honor - medieval-esque sounding music. Thanks to Gzalzi for the suggestion!
  • Loreena McKennitt - a well-known Celtic musician, a good number of her work has an old timey feel with a hint of the Middle East. Suggested albums include An Ancient Muse and a Midwinter's Night Dream.
  • Medieval II Total War - good old classic, particularly the stuff from the Kingdoms expansion, Teutonic stuff is particularly appropriate for Northern Europe and the like, while Crusades stuff is good for the Middle East.
  • Oblivion - for some Oblivion's soundtrack may be a bit too ambient, but I think it's relaxing, pastoral feel fits CKII nicely. I also happen to like a lot, anyhow.
  • Prince of Persia - obviously for the Middle East. I advise looking at music from the more recent games in the series, the older one don't sound as middle eastern/as appropriate for CKII.
  • Skyrim - you probably have played it, but it's worth mentioning. It's powerful and orchestral without being overwhelming, and fits the TOG areas of CKII well.
  • Spice and Wolf - it's an anime series that's technically fantasy but is pretty much in 15th century Europe in all but name - I can even tell when the characters are in Hansestic Poland, for instance (it's one of the few "fantasy" works of any medium that actually portrays medieval economics and society fairly well, I'm usually not an anime fan but it's good for medieval stuff, and the music is sounds appropriate for the time period). Do note the first and second seasons have somewhat different styles of music. The link above is from the second season, which has a renaissance-seque style; this link here is from the first season which is more rural and folksy.
  • Suleiman the Magnificent - an album of music from a movie, I think (?). My father had it in his CD collection when I was little, which is how I know of it, but anyhow it obviously fits the Turks the best, but would also work for the Middle East and Eastern Mediterranean.
  • The Witcher - overall the soundtrack is pretty diverse in influence. This song linked here would probably make a nice companion to the Celtic music packs I have,Mande a contrast to the more upbeat and exciting Celtic songs.
  • Toothbrush Waltz - if you don't get it, don't worry about it. Btw, Kaiki best girl.
  • "Traditional" Chinese Music - Chinese music playlist I came across on youtube ages ago, for those who are playing the Khitan/Chinese/whatever. Not exactly traditional, but hey. Fun fact: most "traditional" or "ancient" Chinese music you hear nowadays is actually not that old, and in fact is as old as, say, Bach or Mozart, so calling them "traditional" or "ancient" should be as ridiculous as saying Beethoven represents the ancient traditions of the European peoples.

Last edited:
Reactions:
"Middle East 2" is blocked unfortunately.

any chance for an all-in-one-without-subzips-inside file ;) ?

Announcement: For fans of VIET music, I am happy to announce that OrdepNM and I are currently trying to get the music packs back, into the next update (or at worse the one after) as we haven't had a proper music pack since my illness began. While we are finalizing the details if this music pack, I'd like to offer the community the chance to vote on which music pack they'd like to have afterwards. The choices are the following, based on what I think I'll be able to do.

• Middle Eastern
  • French Renaissance
  • German Renaissance
  • Silk Road (ie Central Asian/steppe with some Persian, Tibetan, etc mixed in)
  • Celtic
  • Turkish

"Middle East 2" is blocked unfortunately.

Hmm. Did you try renown loading it at a later time? Sometimes mediafire acts weird like that.

Does anyone have thus issue?

any chance for an all-in-one-without-subzips-inside file ;) ?

As Solamyas said its impractical and impossible at this point given that I literally have hundreds of tracks you can currently download. The eight pack compilations are the best I can do, and even those are pretty hefty to handle.

Last edited:
https://mega.co.nz/#!eBZU2aLA!Z_dm-SIa88ii4t_PZCaxfUjIzrtvybb6hBJpLU5Fa9s

Every (nearly) music files he uploaded in one folder without subzip, dump all the files (not the folder itself) in the ckii music folder. It's the one I'm using so I removed some of the tracks that i didn't like (about 20 of them) and the nature sound pack. I also removed the "play if a courtier is X" option because i didn't like hearing the sames Jewish songs all the time because of 1 courtier.

I vote for Turkish, though what exactly is covered by Silk Road?

Silk Road covers music of Central Asia/steppe peoples for the most part, with some Persian, Tibetan, etc music thrown in.

I love Celtic music but I'll tell you why I would rather the VIET music pack focus on something else. If I'm playing as a Celt I can turn on Celtic music almost anywhere (Rhapsody, Pandora, etc.) and use that instead of game music. It's not quite as easy to find some more obscure music that feels right for this game. I've been playing a lot lately as various groups north of the Black Sea and I'd like to hear some more of that type of music.

This is for a new music pack, right?

Yes. Voting is for the pack after the upcoming one. So VIET 1.5.3 will have a Latin music pack, and 1.5.4 whatever wins the vote.