• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Onwards to Africa:

North Africa in 1836:

South Africa in 1836:

Notable African Nations:

GENOA

Rule: Reactionary, Order

Allies: Brazil, Foix, Navarra

Provinces: 28
Population: 3.31 million
Workers: 65% Farmers, 25% Laborers, 4% Slaves, 1% Clergyman, 5% Other

Leadership: 16
Brigades: 0
Ships: 0

Technologies: 22
Factories: 0
Literacy: 43%

Following a disastrous war with rival Etruria in the late 15th century, the Republic of Genoa was evicted from its Italian homeland. It has since reinvented itself as the most populous of the Christian Arab kingdoms.

FUNJ

Rule: Conservative, Favors Liberty

Allies: Byzantium
Satellite of: Byzantium

Provinces: 43
Population: 8.45 million
Workers:77% Farmers, 7% Laborers, 5% Artisans, 4% Slaves, 2% Aristocrats, 1% Clergymen, 4% Other

Leadership: 50
Brigades:5
Ships:3

Technologies: 9
Literacy: 44%

Never successfully converted to Islam by the Fatimids, Nubia became part of the Byzantine Empire in the 13th century. The Despots of Nubia have loyally ruled over large expanses of Africa and parts of Greece and the Middle East for their Byzantine overlords ever since.

EGYPT

Rule: Conservative, Favors Order

Allies:Byzantium
Satellite of: Byzantium

Provinces: 10
Population: 2.85 million
Workers: 77% Farmers, 11% Artisans, 4% Slaves, 2% Aristocrats, 2% Soldiers, 4% Other

Technologies: 8
Literacy: 31%

Another Byzantine satellite, the Doux of Alexandria has served the Empire since its conquest of Egypt in the mid-14th century. Although not as large as Funj, its control of the important trading center of Alexandria gives it special significance.

MALI

Status: Partially Westernized Nation, Prussian Constitutionalism

Allies: Malacca

Provinces: 59
Population: 21.73 million
Workers: 61% Farmers, 20% Artisans, 5% Laborers, 4% Soldiers, 3% Slaves, 2% Aristocrats, 2% Clergymen, 3% Other

Leadership: 13
Brigades: 14
Ships: 14

Technologies: 2
Literacy: 33%

The last remaining major Muslim nation outside Southeast Asia, proud Mali has dominated West Africa since medieval times. Though repeatedly thwarted by Denmark in its attempts to obtain a Mediterranean port, it has been a formidable obstacle to European colonization in the region.

ETHIOPIA

Allies: Athens, Epirus, Syria

Provinces: 9
Population: 3.92 million
Workers: 74% Farmers, 12% Artisans, 3% Clergymen, 3% Aristocrats, 3% Slaves, 1% Soldiers, 4% Other

Leadership: 19
Brigades: 2

Literacy: 20%

By the end of the 14th century, the Byzantines had expanded well beyond the horn of Africa, reclaiming the ancient land of Abyssinia for the Christian world. But the cultural differences between Greeks and Oromos were vast, eventually successfully revolting and forming their own state in the late 16th century.

For the monarchies, I'd be interested to know which families made it from the CK2 era to Vicky II :)

This is a much more advanced Africa than in real life - civilised nations in the north east and an already partially civilised Mali. It will be very interesting to see how the scrabble for Africa unfolds.

I'm somewhat disturbed by literacy rates being this high. This is too different from real history, and I can't see why a country like Ethiopia in this timeline three folds real Ottoman Empire in terms of literacy.

How does literacy mechanics in the converter work? With these numbers, I fear that there will be simply too many advanced nations to simulate these period, making somewhat "ahistorical" (ahistorical for this timeline even) results.

I'm somewhat disturbed by literacy rates being this high. This is too different from real history, and I can't see why a country like Ethiopia in this timeline three folds real Ottoman Empire in terms of literacy.

How does literacy mechanics in the converter work? With these numbers, I fear that there will be simply too many advanced nations to simulate these period, making somewhat "ahistorical" (ahistorical for this timeline even) results.

Ethiopia is an old country, and despite what it's become was at one time a world power. It wouldn't take much of a change to keep it fairly high on the list of nations, especially if the Eastern Roman Empire was able to blunt the Islamic jihads.

I'm more puzzled by the "reclaimed for Christianity" part.

Last edited:
Well, Byzantium ruled over Egypt and Funj as vassals in CK2, which stayed vassals in EU3, and are now puppets. Since they were ruled all that time by Byzantium, I don't think high literacy is too far off the mark. Mali went to EU3 as muslim tech, because of their ties to the north, and had tech higher than some Europeans, so I feel them having literacy as plausable. Genoa is just a displaced European, so their literacy is plausable. Ethiopia and Kanem Bornu are the only ones that shouldn't have high literacy, and they don't. Anyway, it looks like Frankfurt might have trouble getting the nations it needs to form Germany in it's shere, what with Hungary. Still, it'll probably sphere France and Berry, and have a large chunk of Europe in it's sphere.

Maybe I gave the wrong example, but my concern still holds true. The lowest literacy rate among major states is like %20. Do you guys think this should be the case?

In my comparison between ethiopia and ottoman empire, I took the rate from vanilla Vic2 btw, to give a sense about generally artificially high literacy rates across all countries.

And also, the real concern is not literacy rate's mean is high, rather is its variance being too low. So, technology would not be a factor in developing of this part of timeline.

Last edited:
Maybe I gave the wrong example, but my concern still holds true. The lowest literacy rate among major states is like %20. Do you guys think this should be the case?

In my comparison between ethiopia and ottoman empire, I took the rate from vanilla Vic2 btw, to give a sense about generally artificially high literacy rates.

It is a different world, with different results, fully generated (okay some conversation tweaking) through AI creation. I have no familiarity with Vicky so I don't know how significant literacy rates are, but it is what it is and I am concerned not.

Idhrendur has put a minimum literacy limit of 10% in. I think he said in the converter thread that lower literacy rates caused some issues. So, yes, non-European nations are going to be higher tech in this game.

In the specific case of Africa, I do think that the fact that Mali and Ethiopia have bordered essentially European-culture nations since Medieval times makes it reasonable for it to be considerably more developed than it was in OTL. As we shall see, however, the Americas (which weren't discovered until 1581, and then known only to Navarra until the 1630's), are considerably less populated.

The 'reclaimed for Christianity' was a reference to the fact that Abyssinnia fell to the Fatimids in the 12th century before the Byzantines pushed them out.

And finally introducing the Americas:

North America in 1836:

South America in 1836:

Notable Nations in the Americas:

LEINSTER

Rule: Reactionary, Liberty

Allies: Sibir

Provinces: 47
Population: 8.20 million
Workers: 65% Farmers, 17% Artisans, 7% Laborers, 3% Slaves, 2% Soldiers, 1% Clergymen, 4% Other

Leadership: 21
Brigades: 20
Ships: 20

Technologies: 28
Literacy: 60%

From its humble beginnings as the free city of Ormond, Leinster grew to dominate Ireland, Wales, Cornwall and parts of Scotland before a shattering defeat by England drove it from the island of Britain in the late 15th century. Undaunted, it became a major colonial power, but the English attacked again in the early 19th century nearly driving it from Europe entirely and forcing it to relocate its capitol to the new world.

PERU

Allies: Mexico

Provinces: 12
Population: 1.31 million
Workers: 45% Farmers, 25% Laborers, 13% Soldiers, 8% Artisans, 4% Slaves, 1% Clergymen, 3% Other

Leadership: 46
Brigades: 13
Ships: 12

Literacy: 43%

Peruvian independence was a severe blow to Bohemia’s wealth and power, as the new nation took possession of its mines and the key trade center of Cuzco. Since independence, this most populous of New World nations has proved enterprising, even planting a few colonies in the Pacific.

MEXICO

Rule: Conservative, Order

Allies: Peru

Provinces: 3
Population: 926.81 Thousand
Workers: 73% Farmers, 11% Artisans, 4% Slaves, 4% Soldiers, 3% Aristocrats, 1% Clergymen, 4% Other

Leadership: 32
Brigades: 4

Literacy: 28%

Centered on the highlands where the Aztec empire once was, the small but relatively populous nation of Mexico formed from a revolt that united the indigenous population with colonists from Leinster and Castille.

ARGENTINA

Allies: Brazil

Provinces: 25
Population: 827.50 Thousand
Workers: 89% Farmers, 4% Soldiers, 1% Clergymen, 1% Slaves, 1% Artisans, 1% Laborers, 3% Other

Leadership: 21
Ships: 7

Technologies: 23
Literacy: 31%

During the tumultuous Danish revolution, most of its South American colonies became independent, forming the nation of Argentina, formerly known as La Plata.

HAITI

Provinces: 6
Population: 235.46 thousand
Workers: 85% Farmers, 7% Artisans, 3% Aristocrats, 2% Soldiers, 3% Other

Leadership: 1
Brigades:1
Ships:0

Technologies: 31
Literacy: 41%

The oldest of the states in the New World, the Haitians revolted against their Etrurian overlords in the 1750’s.

USA

Provinces:16
Population: 119.53 thousand
Workers: 43% Laborers, 41% Farmers, 7% Soldiers, 4% Slaves, 5% Other

Leadership: 16
Ships: 6

Technologies: 27
Literacy: 48%

The United States of America takes its name from an earlier revolutionary state that arose on the east coast but was ultimately crushed by Berry. The successor USA inherited the radical ideology of its predecessor, and its location withinthe continental interior made it more difficult for the European powers to reconquer.

What no mention of the mighty nations of Canada and Venezuala? Also, Leinster is going to crush some people with 60% literacy and the most of the New World.

I think a number is missing in the description of Peru. 1.31 cannot be the highest population of the new world considering Leinster has 8.2 million.

But WOW Leinster could become a powerhouse, 60 % literacy, favours liberty, highest population of the neighbourhood, and wast tracks of land to expand into. I don't know what the converter does about decisions and modifiers, but if some US events like Manifest Destiny went to Leinster....

Of course, the US events could go to the US as well. Seeing a Civil War in 119.00 inhabitants USA would be hilarious.

I think a number is missing in the description of Peru. 1.31 cannot be the highest population of the new world considering Leinster has 8.2 million.

But WOW Leinster could become a powerhouse, 60 % literacy, favours liberty, highest population of the neighbourhood, and wast tracks of land to expand into. I don't know what the converter does about decisions and modifiers, but if some US events like Manifest Destiny went to Leinster....

Of course, the US events could go to the US as well. Seeing a Civil War in 119.00 inhabitants USA would be hilarious.

I wasn't counting Leinster, because it's not a true New World nation. Almost half its population is still in Ireland, and it has colonies in Africa as well. I think the U.S. will get the usual U.S. stuff which means that Northern Manitoba will be inexplicably attractive to immigrants, so we may well see a civil war between free Manitoba and slave Minnesota, but the population will be much larger than it is now.

Ah, I almost forgot about the United States of California.

THE LONG PEACE, 1821-1836

Historians rarely dwell on the fifteen years of global calm known as the long peace, other than to ruminate over its cause, often leaving people to feel that it was a time of stasis, of little interest to academic study. Yet while this aberrant period lacked the wars that so often drive history, it is not true that nothing changed.

There were major political shifts that were achieved without the usual accompanying mayhem. Perhaps feeling that in this new, peaceful world, they had no need for an Emperor to watch over them, the states of the Holy Roman Empire agreed to dissolve the Empire after more than a thousand years. Olav IX of Norway would be the last Emperor.

As an ancient European empire disappeared, a new one appeared in Japan. In truth, of course, Japan had always been an empire. But in the past, the Emperor’s title had been largely empty; real power had lain with the various Daimyos who held title to vast lands, far larger than the Imperial demesne. But a strong alliance between Shogun and Emperor had reined in these warlords, enabling Japan to be viewed as a true empire rather than an imaginary construct, for the first time in centuries.

The radical ideas that had fomented in Quebec and Canada in the 1760’s and achieved their most radical form in the United States of America, had long since filtered back to Europe. Government by the people for the people was now the rule—at least in theory—not only in many of the former colonies but also in Syria, Epirus and Achaea. While the world’s major nations all favored strongly authoritarian rule, whether by a monarch or a president, they could not stop the spread of other ideas, aided by the new publishing houses that had sprung up all over Europe.

Slavery, long considered a natural part of every human society, was under attack. Many nations in both Europe and the Americas had outlawed it as barbaric in recent decades. While few might be so daring as to claim all men should be equal, the idea of one man owning another was becoming unthinkable to many. The advent of ideas about ‘human rights’, and ‘liberty’ was feared by many, especially those in power, who argued that it would come to terrible bloodshed, recalling the infamous Raedsel in Denmark in 1800. But many saw the Long Peace itself as a sign that humanity had progressed beyond that, become so civilized and sophisticated that future disputes would be resolved without strife.

Politics was not the only endeavor where new ideas were being put forth. Starting in some of Europe’s creative micro-states like Sardinia, Liege and Aragon, new styles of music, art and literature were appearing that emphasized emotional responses to the natural world. Other thinkers tried to understand the structure of markets, how prices were determined, and to develop mathematical models of economics. And despite the years of peace, some innovations in military thinking emerged as well in the training of professional standing armies, and changing views of naval tactics.

Perhaps the most far-reaching of all would be the changes in material technology. Though their application had thus far been limited, prototypes of machines such as simple steam engines and mechanical looms were widespread in Europe. Some already foresaw a future where such innovations could lead to production of goods at far greater rates—and far cheaper—than traditional artisanal methods.

With all these developments in the arts and sciences, and in political and economic thought, some might have had an inkling that they were on the brink of a new era. And after the first days of 1836, one thing became abundantly clear about this new era: there would be blood.

With all these developments in the arts and sciences, and in political and economic thought, some might have had an inkling that they were on the brink of a new era. And after the first days of 1836, one thing became abundantly clear about this new era: there would be blood.

I did not hope otherwise. Am I too evil? :D