+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beams

Beams

Beams just feel so useless (maybe I'm just bad and don't know how to use them). So useless, that I don't even cast them anymore, (except heal on an ally)
    They are just so easy to block with E! or E, and not only does it block the beam, but knocks the other guy over and deals damage to him. The only real uses I see for beams are
    1, If you enemy is far away and has about 60 HP, so the first tick of damage will kill him.
    2, the enemy is knocked over or frozen so he can't E! or E (but there are still better combos against a frozen or knocked down target)
    3, Against some one who's really new and doesn't know how to E! or E (But I like teaching noobs how to play rather than just stomping them)
    Are there any other uses for beams? or are they just kinda pointless.
    What would you guys do to improve them?
    My opinion is as follows
    I would make the damage start higher, but not make it gain damage over time. Seems so weird that it would be that way, its entire purpose seems to be killing less experienced players. against experienced players, it starts at to low damage to do anything before he doe's E!, but against new players its about the fastest way of killing them. It provided almost no game-play for good players, and is just a tool for killing off noobs, which is sad IMO because we should be teaching newer players rather just killing them with a spell that they will almost never have to fight against once (and if) they become good at the game.
    (But, again, maybe I'm just bad.)
    Meow.

Well what ive found, is that newer players use them alot then learn that e domes will give them huge knock back and stop using them. But also later on with higher level players, they can time them properly to get a quick near instant and long range bit of damage and often doesnt have the beam constant for long

Some quite decent players discuss it abit in this duels vid -

Beams have very, very high damage against a target who is unable to cast a shield (see: crowd-control). Additionally, they're incredibly valuable for applying or removing debuffs. I'm not concerned about the effect they have on newer players, as getting knocked down repeatedly is just part of that learning experience. Eventually they'll figure out when the best time to use them is.
    Steam/WW ID: Tol Eressea

So i just had an idea.
    Why are you punished if your opponent blocks your beam?
    If your opponent blocks a rock or a spray, that's all that happens, its blocked, you are not punished for it.
    But if you opponent blocks your beam, you are knocked down, take damage, and take any status effect that your beam might have applied.
    So, why don't we simply stop punishing them for getting blocked? make it so E still reflects beams, but if the beam is reflected at to narrow an angle, it just doesn't reflect, and stops on the shield. You could still counter a beam by doing E and then charging a rock, so unless he stops using his beam he will get hit.
    (opposing beams that collide would still knock each-other over and stuff)
    Meow.

Actually, rocks WILL damage the caster if you do it right. If you look closely at a wall-blocked rock you will see that it bounces slightly back which can damage anyone hit. You have to place the rockwall at the right distance, though, since the rock will otherwise go straight through.

Anyway, beams are extremely high range and pretty much instantly cast. They would have absolutely no risk if the shields wouldn't knock you down, so you always could use beams when your enemy isn't in a dome shield. Beams have higher dps than rocks and higher range than pretty much anything but icicles and spears. They are just SO FREAKING POWERFUL that they have to have a strong counterplay.

Kinda like coldquakes just that coldquakes don't have any counter, only defenses. :P
    [VEFI] Taren

Team Veneficus [VEFI]
    Vefi, vidi, vici

We'll look into solving the easily-blocked-beams shortly. The counter won't be as hard for the attacker as it is now at least.
    //NDKarlsson

Don't think of beams as damage spell, more like a long poking stick.

Here's what I think: if your beam is reflected directly at you by a shield, its damage is applied to you, as though you were firing it at yourself. You aren't knocked down or anything, you just take whatever damage your beam should be doing for as long as you channel it. At the same time, the shield's duration expires rapidly in proportion to your beam's DPS. So, for example, you could wear SSE armor and brute force your way through a shield by channeling SSS.

If two beams meet head-on, their summed damage is dealt to both wizards for as long as both wizards channel, creating a game of chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrinus View Post
    Here's what I think: if your beam is reflected directly at you by a shield, its damage is applied to you, as though you were firing it at yourself. You aren't knocked down or anything, you just take whatever damage your beam should be doing for as long as you channel it. At the same time, the shield's duration expires rapidly in proportion to your beam's DPS. So, for example, you could wear SSE armor and brute force your way through a shield by channeling SSS.

If two beams meet head-on, their summed damage is dealt to both wizards for as long as both wizards channel, creating a game of chicken.
    Hijinx ensue. I like it.
    Steam/Wizard Name: Kaza

"Kaza, that spear of yours is broken."

Quote Originally Posted by ersetzen View Post
    Actually, rocks WILL damage the caster if you do it right. If you look closely at a wall-blocked rock you will see that it bounces slightly back which can damage anyone hit. You have to place the rockwall at the right distance, though, since the rock will otherwise go straight through.

Anyway, beams are extremely high range and pretty much instantly cast. They would have absolutely no risk if the shields wouldn't knock you down, so you always could use beams when your enemy isn't in a dome shield. Beams have higher dps than rocks and higher range than pretty much anything but icicles and spears. They are just SO FREAKING POWERFUL that they have to have a strong counterplay.

Kinda like coldquakes just that coldquakes don't have any counter, only defenses. :P
    I agree with this; they need strong counter-play. I'd like to point out that beams are actually quite useful in team play. A coordinated assault with a teammate disabling someone will allow you to beam w/o them being able to shield. Alternatively, beams can be used to force an opponent to shield. If your enemy is getting healed, beam them. They almost always bubble, which removes their healer from the picture. If you run into someone smart enough to just cE then you beam the healer instead.

Just thought I would bring this up as well.

The damage a reflected spell deals to the caster if reflected back at them is equal to the damage the spell would deal if selfcasted.

What I mean:

An QFS beam will deal 275 damage to the caster if reflected back at him. That's the same damage !QFS would deal to a player... Well in some cases anyway, it behaves unusually...

Why should we care? Well firstly, it's highly unlikely to ever deal 275+ with an QFS at it's current state (Both mechanics of beams like shields as well as it's damage), this yet again, punishes the caster even more.
    Last edited by Khrayfish; 21-02-2014 at 02:15.

Beams are also useful against people standing next to an elemental wall (storm), since any E they place will only last for a split second.

+ Reply to Thread