• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(90419)

Recruit
8 Badges
Jan 5, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Dungeonland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Magicka
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Vikings
Hello,

I'm playing Old Gods dlc with no other mods.
Can't load save, it crashes to desktop. It's ironman mode so don't have any previous. I don't use cloud save

Is there any way to fix this?
I'm not fond of starting this from beginning :(

ps. sorry for wrong place, i've been searching at forum some answers and hit "post" button in wrong tab

I think that tampering too much with a save invalidates the ironman part as well.
Anyhow, you can load it up in a text editor (strongly suggest notepad++) and see if there's anything that might be causing it.
Do keep in mind that you'll be spending quite possibly a few hours at it unless you have some idea of what might be wrong simply due to the sheer size of the file.

Can't really think of something else.
Maybe the save game analyser might help.

A good habit to get into is to make a back up of the save file just in case something like this does happen it does not seem to invalidate it though i play with mods so im unaware of the effect on achievements.

If it is broken, it is broken, unless you know why it is broken.

One time i edited the files, but when i deleted what i had added, the game started working fine again.

Dunno, I rarely if ever played ironman due to ruler designer compatibilities.
Gimme five minutes and I can check.

*edit*

Looks like there's some changes in data locations, but everything should still be there somewhere.
Ans trying to change one county's culture broke the save. xD

Last edited:
It doesn't seem you can actually back up ironman saves either, unless you checked off save to cloud when you started it. I tried backing up my ironman saves and it caused them all to break reading something in red caps like 'BROKEN SAVE GAME'. I tried directly copying it, copying the save folder..all of it invalidated the saves.

It doesn't seem you can actually back up ironman saves either, unless you checked off save to cloud when you started it. I tried backing up my ironman saves and it caused them all to break reading something in red caps like 'BROKEN SAVE GAME'. I tried directly copying it, copying the save folder..all of it invalidated the saves.

You can backup ironman saves. I do it all the time.

The trick lies in renaming the saved file after you copy it back into the saves' folder.

thanks for all your answers

ironman save looks kind of encrypted. Finding sth in that big file with or those *&$*^@ signs is rather impossible for me.
From now on i think backup is a must but devs really should do sth with those saves because losing a save game is the most push back from a game i can possibly wonder. Especially that i found that it is not only problem for me.

i'm trying with ckII save repair tool, but it's about 15m processing right now. So maybe tomorrow i'll know more ;]

(edit) about 3 hours and nothing so i think no game for me :/

Last edited: