• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

froglegs

Colonel
4 Badges
Mar 10, 2005
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • 500k Club
The American Mod For AOD

View attachment The American Mod.zip

The American Mod is a 1936 scenario designed for a single player human USA against the AI. The mod requires the AOD 108 patch posted 24 August, 2012 (SUBR).

In an optional multiplayer game, additional human players my play as United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, or The Soviet Union. However, USA must be human and Japan must be AI in all games.

What is different about The American Mod?

The AI for Japan has been greatly enhanced to give the human USA player a realistic game play challenge. This has been done in several ways. The Japan AI has been modified to play more like a human Japan would play. This is done by improved ai files and by new “opportunity events”.

USA production in early years of the game has been restricted to reflect elastic peace time circumstances.

The SEMP mod (Thanks to the SEMP Developers!) is for the most part incorporated into The American Mod as a starting point to which over 100 additional events plus the SEMP events are added and many ai files are added or modified. The SEMP game changed will fire by the second day of the game automatically without the need to manually fire them. This event autofire enables the game to be played multiplayer -- something that SEMP was not able to do.

Why was The American Mod created?

It has always been claimed that it was too easy to play AOD as the USA player. That is true. This mod corrects that belief by vastly improving the Japanese AI. In addition, many other changed have been made with the order of battle and unit production ai for many nations, especially so for Germany, Italy, UK, SU, and Australia.

There are many game play tweaks including:

Production time -- generally almost doubled for ships and ground units
Historic Battleships -- since many players would never build them in favor of other units,historic BB’s are given at historic times by event.
Ship speed -- generally increased for most non-BB’s. Some BB speeds reduced.
Ship brigade attachments -- now 2 for CV’s and subs, 4 for DD’s, 5 for CL, CA, BC, CA.

What Difficulty Level To Start Play?

The difficulty file has been changed in the game. I suggest first play at “easy” level with historic events turned off. On day one the USA player is asked to choose additionally either “No Peace Economy”, “Partial Peace Economy”, or “Peace Economy”. This further reduces IC’s until war. Chose “No Peace Economy” for a first game.

Congratulations on the new mod! I've never been tempted by playing the US before, but I may give it a go now (if I can tear myself away from CORE...)

If you feel that you are experienced the AOD, I suggest then playing at the "Peace Economy" setting with the event that fires on day 1. So as not to be too surprised, play as if the Japanese AI is a human player -- guard what you want to protect in the Pacific theater for the AI knows what is protected and what is not. It will attack weakness and avoid attacking strength. This is one of the things that makes this the American MOD unique.

At the normal dificulty setting, all AI get +25% IC, res., and manpower. You will find though that the construction scheme for AI Japan will favour increased CV production relative to vanilla. Be advised.