• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ivan Rogov

Lt. General
43 Badges
Jun 1, 2004
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
As of right now proselytizing Bishops are imprisoned far too often, either right when they arrive or the minute they convert anyone in the subject's court. Please correct this ASAP. Thank you.

Pagans are almost impossible to convert before 930, that's intended.

Besides Magyras who don't have that cap since later patches... and the Baltic which remain stubborn even after 930.

The rate that pagans convert is quite good, and fairly historical when no one reforms. However, the conversion mechanic is a bit frustrating. They should make imprisonment less likely and compensate by making the events fire less often.

While were at it, let pagan rulers be allowed to request missions... its historical and would help when trying to go orthodox (since they don't really do much on their own as far as missionaries go)

I have to disagree, they don't convert immediately convert and that's good. They usually convert unless they reform from what I've seen. The system seems good as is to me.

While were at it, let pagan rulers be allowed to request missions... its historical and would help when trying to go orthodox (since they don't really do much on their own as far as missionaries go)

Yes! This is actually one of the few changes I'd like changed with pagan conversion.

As of right now proselytizing Bishops are imprisoned far too often, either right when they arrive or the minute they convert anyone in the subject's court. Please correct this ASAP. Thank you.
I think a better fix would be making it slightly more likely that the AI sends its chaplain out to proselytise. As far as I know they're not coded to do this at all, and in particular this means that Russia will never go Orthodox unless the player is Orthodox also.

It'd be nice if successful conversions came with a piety bonus for the liege, too. There's basically no reason to do it other than role-playing at the moment... Maybe even a trait which you get if you manage to convert a lot, or convert somebody important?

Besides Magyras who don't have that cap since later patches... and the Baltic which remain stubborn even after 930.
It's just the Romuva who stay super-stubborn isn't it, not all Baltic pagans?

I have to disagree, they don't convert immediately convert and that's good. They usually convert unless they reform from what I've seen. The system seems good as is to me.
But they generally only convert as a result of war, which means it takes way too long to actually happen - pretty much until Military organisation tech levels hit 4.

It's 978 in my game. I try and convert Slavic Ruthenia, with a cynical King, to Orthodox. Lets me in then imprisons my bishop three months later after he converts somebody. If there was some kind of event, an invitation from a monarch or something, that would be appreciated, because now it's so frustrating it's pissing me off severely and it's decidedly ahistorical for the Russians not to be converted by now.

It's 978 in my game. I try and convert Slavic Ruthenia, with a cynical King, to Orthodox. Lets me in then imprisons my bishop three months later after he converts somebody. If there was some kind of event, an invitation from a monarch or something, that would be appreciated, because now it's so frustrating it's pissing me off severely and it's decidedly ahistorical for the Russians not to be converted by now.

It's ahistorical once you unpause the game; in my current game both Norway and Denmark were Christianized before 1000. It's random and doesn't always happen like it did in history.

"We knew not whether we were in heaven or on earth, for surely there is no such splendour or beauty anywhere upon earth. We cannot describe it to you, only this we know, that God dwells there among humans, and that their service surpasses the worship of all other places. For we cannot forget that beauty".

It's only 978CE and in real life Kievan Rus didn't convert until around 990CE. Sometimes you'll get lucky and manage to convert early, and other times you won't. I've seen Rus convert by 950CE, so I'm certain in your game you're just not having the best luck.

It's like converting provinces: sometimes I convert within a year, and other times it takes me 40.

I'd be content if there was some consistent way to figure out your chances. And if there were some tangible ways to influence success, besides fire and forget as it is now.

I'd be content if there was some consistent way to figure out your chances. And if there were some tangible ways to influence success, besides fire and forget as it is now.

Yeah it would be interesting to see what factors affect the probability of success in such cases. I'm against seeing your chances directly in-game, but clarification from the devs or someone who can find the info in the game files would be useful.