• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh you're playing Vanilla, I just thought you had HoD. I don't exactly remember how it was, so take everything I wrote with a grain of salt
Back in vanilla (and AHD) you used NF to colonise, so you only need to have access to an uncolonized state (either within range of your naval bases or next to one of your own states), and use a NF. Also if you're competing to colonise a state, move an army to one of its provinces (a single brigade will do), you'll get a speed boost and as the AI never does this you'll most likely get the state. Its piss easy to colonise almost all of Africa by using this strategy, coupled with getting the right techs as soon as 1860 (or is it 1870? i forget) comes, the AI usually only gets the necessary colonising techs almost an year after.

Also, ships are only important for colonising in HoD so don't bother building them if you're playing vanilla/AHD (for colonisation purposes that is, you should always have a modern navy especially if you're the UK).

Last edited:
If you have enough colonial points, taking Sokoto's Benin is great way to colonize most important regions in Africa. From there you can colonize practically all rubber, coal/tropical wood regions in Africa.