• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sort of off topic but a question to the op and also those of you who similarly enjoy a more passive style of gameplay. What do you enjoy about not taking part largely in the war aspect? To me, pretty much everything you can do in the game revolves in some way around warfare, either giving you cause for war or helping in war, etc. You mentioned following all the action around the map which I guess I can understand, but I'm kind of just curious on maybe what some fun things I'm missing out on during my playthroughs are. I wish there was more interesting things to do during peace, but again it seems like all the options available to you revolve around war.

allow me to correct your statement: pretty much every way to earn dynasty points revolves some way around warfare. But as even the manual says, CKII is a sandbox game where the player decides what he wants to achieve. It's not like EUIV where peace isn't more than waiting for the next war - as I experienced it for now.

I posted this in another thread, but I'll post it here again.

People who claim to be fans of historical strategy games are bitching about a maker of historical strategy games expanding their best selling historical strategy game to include a part of the world...

You bet your ass I'm going to buy this expansion.

Just from some quick looking around at Wikipedia and the forums, the Empire that controlled much of Northern India during the 867 start date was Buddhist.

Not exactly. Buddhism in India was in deep decline at this time in history.

In the 867 time frame North and Central India was divided among 3 empires. The Gurjara Pratiharas in the North and West. The Palas of Bengal. and the Rashtrakutas of Central India. South India was dominated by the Pallavas and Pandyas and the Pallavas would soon be toppled by their feudatories the Cholas.

Of all these dynasties, the Palas of Bengal were the only one that were Buddhist...and they along with the Pratiharas and Rashtrakutas were engaged in a struggle for the then imperial city of Kanauj. However in 867 the Pala Empire was in deep decline which started after the death of Devapala in 850. The Pratiharas under their greatest ruler Bhoa I were the dominant power in the North.

Interestingly though the Palas will be the only one of the 3 still alive in the 1066 scenario.

The Rashtrakutas wrecked Pratihara power in the 10th century and then were eliminated by one of their vassals in 977. The Palas had a brief revival starting with the reign of Mahipala in 975 and in the 1066 scenario still controlled Bengal.

I hope they talk to the Umbra Spherae Mod for this, because they have got a lot of this period right.

Not exactly. Buddhism in India was in deep decline at this time in history.

In the 867 time frame North and Central India was divided among 3 empires. The Gurjara Pratiharas in the North and West. The Palas of Bengal. and the Rashtrakutas of Central India. South India was dominated by the Pallavas and Pandyas and the Pallavas would soon be toppled by their feudatories the Cholas.

Of all these dynasties, the Palas of Bengal were the only one that were Buddhist...and they along with the Pratiharas and Rashtrakutas were engaged in a struggle for the then imperial city of Kanauj. However in 867 the Pala Empire was in deep decline which started after the death of Devapala in 850. The Pratiharas under their greatest ruler Bhoa I were the dominant power in the North.

Interestingly though the Palas will be the only one of the 3 still alive in the 1066 scenario.

The Rashtrakutas wrecked Pratihara power in the 10th century and then were eliminated by one of their vassals in 977. The Palas had a brief revival starting with the reign of Mahipala in 975 and in the 1066 scenario still controlled Bengal.

I hope they talk to the Umbra Spherae Mod for this, because they have got a lot of this period right.

Oh. Well I did say it was just a quick look, and I could only find maps of the Pala Empire in 850, couldn't find any for 867. But if Buddhism was in decline it'll be a fun challenge to try and stop that decline and make it the dominant religion in India.

This is a good map for the ebb and flow of the period. Click here.

By 867 the Palas had been pushed east and were well into their century of decline until they miraculously recovered in the late 980s under Mahipala I.

Then they gradually decline again until 1077 in the long reign of Ramapala they have their last gasp of military glory. After that they decline quickly and are gone by the 1160s.

I think that is a good expantion.
May be more of this so awaited DLCs that are, for a game point of view, unesufull.
The game runs well, and need not to be mach history at every inch...

I suppose I'm eventually going to find the addition enjoyable, but Varangians navigating the Ganges isn't really my kind of fun (mind you, I'm not saying it should absolutely never happen, either). And I do think there are things in the core game needing to be addressed first. And I just frankly can't trust the devs about historicity the same as it was before after the switch to (semi-)fantasy de iure empires.

Putting this here because why the heck not? I'm ECSTATIC about this new extension, and it'll probably be the only one that I've bought on day one. Why? More stuff! More characters, more interaction, more starting points, more interesting areas to play. My favorite DLC so far has been The Old Gods, not for the pagan mechanics (although who doesn't love a good Norse conquering game) but for the expanded starting point. The map looks drastically different, there are so many more dynamic areas to play (Barcelona, Mercia, etc) and there are just more options for the player. Just think, now you'll be able to conquer India as the Tengri Hordes, or Zoroastrians, or start in India and work your way West while all of Europe is fighting among themselves. One of the greatest things that I love about the game is that while you're fighting desperately for your little slice of the pie, the world around you is changing, morphing, adapting, and so on. While you're struggling to survive as a Christian in England in 867, the Karlings are fighting for dominance, the Umayyads are expanding at into Asturias, the Byzantine Empire is fighting tooth and nail against the Muslim invaders, and so on. The whole world is dynamic, changing every year even if you have no impact on that area.

And now there's going to be India, adding even *more* depth to the map. Are they going to unify and take over the Muslims in the Middle East while you're squabbling among your fellow Byzantine dukes for power? Are the Muslims going to expand into India, leaving a massive Caliphate ready to steamroll Europe? Will the Zoroastrians (will the map be compatible with the 867 start date?) expand East first, and then have the troops to conquer the West? All of this is going to be occurring while you fight and die as a count somewhere in a far-off part of the land. Or maybe you'll play as India, struggling to unite the Indian subcontinent, only to face the unified Christian religion that has driven the infidels off into far-flung hiding places.

How could you NOT be excited about this even if you have no interest in playing as India?

Overall, I do agree on asking for a greater RPG DLC. Allow us to back out of a war (at great cost to prestige / Diplomacy) that we've joined, or allow a CB against "allies" who refused to honor their alliance. Allow the CB even against allies who contribute less than 5% of the overall troops for the war to prevent the "yes, I'll join and then not bother sending anyone to help" aspect. Expand what your court can do, and what impact it has on aspects of your realm. I do agree on all of that, but that shouldn't make this DLC any less important.

Also, to the people who are having problems with the game slowing down as it is, what computer are you running it on? I play on the very basic of "gaming" computers, a desktop with an i3-2120, 8GB and a 7750 video card. The entire setup cost less than $400, and CKII flies on it although I rarely have games last from 867 on into the 1400s. Ones from the 1066 start have been just as fast at the end of the time period than they were at the beginning, though. Are people trying to run this on old laptops or ancient desktops or something?

I suppose I'm eventually going to find the addition enjoyable, but Varangians navigating the Ganges isn't really my kind of fun (mind you, I'm not saying it should absolutely never happen, either). And I do think there are things in the core game needing to be addressed first. And I just frankly can't trust the devs about historicity the same as it was before after the switch to (semi-)fantasy de iure empires.

How did you know the Ganges is navigable for Vikings...? And India historically really exists! Beleave me. The point is... Many of the problems in Europe are more patch material than DLC material.

I'd buy the India expansion anyway, because I think it sounds awesome. But I'd buy it even if I wasn't so interested, just like I'll buy any book by a certain author even if the topic of the book isn't my favorite thing.

Buying even when he "wasn't so interested" or because it "isn't [his] favorite thing" doesn't mean he thinks it is bad. That is just you projecting. Which makes me wonder why you spend so much time playing and talking about a game that you think is so bad. :rolleyes:

Which makes me wonder why you spend so much time playing and talking about a game that you think is so bad. :rolleyes:

Maybe because it's one of the only games, if not the only one, that covers a period he is passionate about and would like to see depth in areas that are sadly lacking?

I mean there are plenty of reasons to be very critical of this game and still play it. Come on.

Maybe because it's one of the only games, if not the only one, that covers a period he is passionate about and would like to see depth in areas that are sadly lacking?

I mean there are plenty of reasons to be very critical of this game and still play it. Come on.

That last bit i agree upon. There is certainly areas that need polishing and improving, but most of that will be patch-material anyway.

And it is highly unlikely at the moment that RoI will be the last DLC either.

I know there are a billion threads on this perceived new "India" expansion - here are my thoughts.

It all centers around your play style. I personally love to IMMERSE myself in the game. I follow whats happening everywhere, and the dynasties. I hardly ever declare war, because I do not care for that part of the game; sure, I do love to do it sometimes, but warring to just war is pointless. Also, I play isolated spots like Iceland, so I can watch what goes on.

So for me, here are the pros:
- more provinces! I have always been disappointed with the number of provinces, and EUIV killed me when I saw how freaking few there were. I was afraid India would be EUIVed … I would even take more than 300 if Pdox would give them.

- more historical Mongols! I have grown bored over knowing pretty much who and when the Mongols will invade in my games.

- Just MORE! Anything the devs put out I will take. Sometimes I particularly don't care for stuff: examples are republics, old gods (besides the excellent 876 new start date), and SoA (which gave me hardly any "depth" besides new events, which I do not care about).

I know people are complaining about this; I did not like the fact that with the old gods start I would have to play a Norse Iceland. I hate the looting and war effects, which make you do one or the other. This annoyed me, as well as the first target for many norse being my good ole Iceland.

So for me, I am excited since this seems like it will add a ton more than SoA.

use the mod ubra spherae. It adds all of eurasia to ck2. It's unfinished, so immersion is not quite present, but it is absolutely massive, I can assure you that.

The point is... Many of the problems in Europe are more patch material than DLC material.

Agree, from the viewpoint of PDS business model, if they do make a Russian DLC or a HRE DLC or a Byzantium DLC, the how will they sell it? They can't make the areas unplayable if you don't buy the DLC since you can already play them, so how can they improve them with a DLC and make it work with their actual business model?

Agree, from the viewpoint of PDS business model, if they do make a Russian DLC or a HRE DLC or a Byzantium DLC, the how will they sell it? They can't make the areas unplayable if you don't buy the DLC since you can already play them, so how can they improve them with a DLC and make it work with their actual business model?

Exactly. The models need a special feature that will be unlocked in the DLC. And I can't see features for this that would be bigger than LoR.