Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The three missing worlds.

The three missing worlds.

According to Paradox we will be able to explore "the six worlds of Norse Mythology". The problem with this is that Norse mythology actually includes nine worlds. This of course begs the question; which three worlds are missing, and why?

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

We already have 4 worlds confirmed:

1) Midgardr (mortal world). Well that's obvious.
    2) Svartálfaheimr (dark elves/dökkálfar world), shown in promotional art.
    3) Jötunheimr (giants and frost giants world), shown in promotional art.
    4) Muspelheimr (fire giants world), talked about in the promotional material ("...from the lofty forests of Midgard to the fires of Muspelheim")

And... 2 more, out of 5.
    -Niflheimer, the domain of Hel. Full of dead people being bored forever. Probably not in the game.
    -Asgardr, the domain of the Aesir. Maybe too important and god-like to serve as an adventuring location?
    -Vanaheimr, the domain of the Vanir. Same as Asgardr.
    -Álfheimr, the domain of the alfar or ljosalfar. Ever-changing environment, but anyway, it probably is a good location for the game.
    -Nidavellir, the domain of the dwarves/duergar. Probably a good location too.

I would bet for Álfheimr and Nidavellir as the 2 remaining worlds.
    Last edited by CyaN; 24-01-2014 at 16:19.
    Volveremos volveremos
    Volveremos otra vez
    Volveremos a ser campeones
    Como en dos mil catorce

A discussion in the Paradox forums is lost by the first person who calls his opponents "a vocal minority".

I checked Wikipedia and according to this page the world of the dead is called Hel, Nidavellir might be an alternate name for Svartálfaheimr, and the ice giants live in the world called Niflheimr. Although sometimes Niflheimr seems to be considered the same as or a part of Hel.

So basically technically there's ten possible worlds:
    Midgardr
    Svartálfaheimr
    Jötunheimr
    Muspelheimr
    Niflheimer
    Asgardr
    Vanaheimr
    Álfheimr
    Nidavellir
    and Hel
    And two of them (either Svartálfaheimr and Nidavellir or Niflheimer and Hel) are actually the same.

Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Quote Originally Posted by Druplesnubb View Post
    I checked Wikipedia and according to this page the world of the dead is called Hel, Nidavellir might be an alternate name for Svartálfaheimr, and the ice giants live in the world called Niflheimr. Although sometimes Niflheimr seems to be considered the same as or a part of Hel.
    Yep, Norse mythology can get very confusing sometimes :P. The list I wrote is one of several proposed by scholars. And of course if you consider the "dark elves" to be "dwarves" (a big point of contention), then their worlds are the same; but Paradox considers them 2 different races in this game, apparently, so they probably inhabit different worlds.
    Volveremos volveremos
    Volveremos otra vez
    Como en dos mil catorce

A discussion in the Paradox forums is lost by the first person who calls his opponents "a vocal minority".

Johan's Home Account Paradox Dev Team Balor's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Midgård, Jotunheim, Muspelheim, Helheim, Alfheim. & Svartalfheim is what we will have.

No Niflheim, Asgård or Vanheim.

Quote Originally Posted by Balor View Post
    Midgård, Jotunheim, Muspelheim, Hlheim, Alfheim. & Svartalfheim is what we will have.

No niflheim, Asgård or Vanheim.
    Awesome, thanks!
    Volveremos volveremos
    Volveremos otra vez
    Como en dos mil catorce

Artist
    Paradox South
    Crusader Kings II

Gothenburg (Soul), Skövde (physical body).
    I'm actually working on one of the worlds right NOW.

I feel like a God O_O;

It's like playing Black & White... but you know, actually fun : D And without this guy:
    I create shiny 3D-graphics at paradox South.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Can you elaborate a bit on the regions that will be in Midgard?
    Last edited by Dragovit; 24-01-2014 at 19:35.
    Swords, not words.

Am I correct to assume that the dwarves and dark elves are two different races that inhabit the same world? Also, why was the ice world left out? I can understand Asgård and Vanheim, but since you apparently added Helheim as a separate "world of the dead", I don't see why Niflheim was excluded. Or will the ice giants live in Helheim?
    Last edited by Druplesnubb; 24-01-2014 at 17:20.

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    ImpireMagickaVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventWar of the VikingsCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam

The missing ones are the realms of the dead and/or the realms of the gods. Maybe we will be able to get there after seeing a big "Game over, you died like a scrub" sign.

Midgård, Jotunheim, Muspelheim, Hlheim, Alfheim. & Svartalfheim is what we will have.

Possible room for expansions, right?
    Click here if you want to know what FOARP stands for.

"Fighting for your own freedom is also fighting for national freedom, fighting for your own rights is also fighting for your country's rights - because a free and equal country cannot be made by a group of slaves!" - Hu Shi

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

This game is going to be the shit.

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

DLCs of course, each new world adding races/classes

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Lando_Viggo View Post
    I feel like a God O_O;
    Clearly you need to be laughing maniacally and yelling "I AM A GOD! I THINK THINGS AND THEY HAPPEN!" in the office.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Druplesnubb View Post
    Am I correct to assume that the dwarves and dark elves are two different races that inhabit the same world? Also, why was the ice world left out? I can understand Asgård and Vanheim, but since you apparently added Helheim as a separate "world of the dead", I don't see why Niflheim was excluded. Or will the ice giants live in Helheim?
    IIRC Jotunheim is the realm of the ice (and other) giants, I don't think there is an "ice world" aside from it.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: CharlemagneCrusader Kings II: Way of Life

Quote Originally Posted by mudcrabmerchant View Post
    IIRC Jotunheim is the realm of the ice (and other) giants, I don't think there is an "ice world" aside from it.
    I think he means Niflheim.

"Niflheim was primarily a realm of primordial ice and cold, with nine frozen rivers."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niflheim

I would have figured on Asgard (Anglicanized Spelling) being the "final" world. Where you find out that one of the Gods has gone all evil (or all of them have) and you, the legendary hero have to go destroy them.

Good to know that we're not going for THAT particular cliché.
    Only the Man who knows himself a fool is wise.

55 games registered

A Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDungeonlandEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandGettysburg
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireKing Arthur II
    Lead and GoldLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarStarvoidThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the RosesKnights of Pen and Paper +1 EditionTeleglitch: Die More EditionEuropa Universalis IVWar of the Vikings

Damn I wanted to play in Asgård.

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Midgård... Hmm, I just love the pronunciation of this world.
    A question by a forum user during the 200k event: "With 200,000 accounts, you must have a fair amount of data to mine. What was the most surprising thing you learned about us, the forumites?" - Johan's answer: "That if someone has not registered a game, he's extremely likely to not have bought it."

Lord High Admiral General Baker's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Why were these chosen not to be included, out of interest?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast