• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And stuff like "pagans" valuing anger and cruelty? Maybe when its directed at their enemies, but to some degree, all communities kind of value anger and cruelty when its directed at their enemies. But that doesn't mean that they like people being violent sociopaths. In fact, no culture purely values being a violent sociopath, just practicing violent sociopathy on the Other. That's already in the game. It's called warfare.
Yes, you can set up straw men like that. But there was a real difference between, for example, the pagan Norse (and pagan Roman, and pagan Greek) attitudes towards killing people, and towards slavery, and the Christian attitudes towards those things.

Zoroastrianism places special emphasis on honesty, and in fact the forces of evil are known as the Lie.

Same in Christianity, really, God is referred to as the Truth, Satan as the Father of Lies, e.g. John 8:44:

You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and he stood not in the truth; because truth is not in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father thereof.

Especially in the early centuries it was believed that even death was preferable to e.g. lying about your identity to people searching for you.

How is the feudal system going to be fixed for India? The Muslim world right now is barely playable because of the shoddy job they did trying to port the feudal system in a region where it barely existed and certainly.

Probably standard muslim stuff for muslim states, some of the existing succession laws or something new for the Hindus, by way of approximation to primo, gavelkind or feudal elective etc. Titles would probably be localisations like raja = duke (even though it means more like king and some rajas had more stuff than some maharajas), maharaja = king, emperor is just emperor, barons and counts something exotic. Muslim titles would be even more exotic with nizams and nawabs. Council and minor titles would perhaps also be localised, mostly drawing from existing Muslim stuff, I guess. Plus portraits, shield models, unit models, new cultural retinues/buildings, some music and a new interface.

One good thing about the core mechanic of this game is that it's very easy 'localisable', where the same refers to graphics etc. Basically a modular skeleton on which you can easily adapt the meat.

Incidentally, this is also actually more or less how real-life feudalism worked. The notion of feudalism is actually way exaggerated, it's simply an artificial post-hoc classification that some people take too seriously.

Also, you don't need to look farther east than Poland to find a culture where feudalism actually doesn't make sense (notably the hereditary 'Dukes of Greater Poland' in 1066 are fantasy). Anything at a province level or above was held by an appointment for life or for good behaviour or for the king's pleasure or for as long as able to serve. There were no proper counts, and no dukes whatsoever outside of: 1. the royal family, 2. the Pomeranian vassals (virtually cadets of the royal family anyway). Russia? The words 'count' and 'Rurikid' don't belong in the same sentence. A baron? Might as well call him wali or sahib. ;)

Last edited:
My priorities for any future DLC's, any of which could be bundled in such a DLC:

3. Byzantine thematic system.
4. A raiding overhaul, where everyone can raid infidels and heretics, but mainstream religions in the same group, i.e. between Catholic and Orthodox. Historically, there were raids between Christians and Muslims in Iberia, raids between the Turkish and the Byzantines in Anatolia.
5. Moar flavour events.
6. Tributary and vassal states, who give you Tribute and are your allies until such a point as they break free. Historically, Muslims paid tribute to the Spanish, the Russians paid tribute to the Mongols, etc.

That's off the top of my head.
3.) We already got Legacy of Rome, so I wouldn't hold my breath for Byzantine DLC 2: Electric Boogaloo if I were you
4.) I think that's supposed to be represented by the fact that you get cash when you siege a holding, even if you AREN'T Pagan.
5.) No argument there, but that's mostly patch material
6.) And then everyone will complain that AI Poland managed to get Ireland to pay them tribute.

-------------------

Also, you guys are overthinking the traits thing and how it relates to religion.

And to anyone who says that a map expansion isn't expanding existing mechanics, try playing on the east edge of the map, such as Persia. More places and people to interact with.

EDIT: Oh, and about the lies thing, remember that lying is one of the big ten Abrahamic sins. "Thou shalt not bear false witness" and whatnot.

How is the feudal system going to be fixed for India? The Muslim world right now is barely playable because of the shoddy job they did trying to port the feudal system in a region where it barely existed and certainly.
From what I've gathered, India is one of the places best suited for the feudal system. During the same timeframe as Europe, India took to feudalism with gusto. Basically, as I understand it, there are three areas that are particularly well suited to being handled by a CK2 style feudal simulator: Western Europe, Feudal Japan, and India (during the same timeframe that the simulation best suits Western Europe).

On the plus side, with the expansion further to the east we could have better representation of Mongols (probably in the next DLC). I only hope it won't go further. China, in this era at least, REALLY needs it's own mechanics separate from Europe.

On the other hand, perhaps that is reason to go to China. It would give them cause to overhaul the system to allow for non-feudal systems and then those could be adapted back to western states that are currently not well represented.

I'm warming to the idea of this DLC, and I look forward to trying to make a Viking state on the subcontinent, but I can't help but think that the majority of CKII players would probably prefer to see a Theocracy DLC as the next major DLC. That being said, this DLC will certainly enhance the rich diversity of rulers to play as during the years (867) 1066-1444. One question however, will this DLC be compatible with Old Gods?

sooo glad that this comes instead of theocracies.... dunno why anybody would want that. even naval battles would make more sense than playable theocracies ^^

on topic: do you guys think it could be possible that an engine update comes along with RoI? they mentioned a little while ago that they improved the engine. maybe thats why they are adding 300 new provinces. because they know it can handle more now :D

Why would Paradox knowingly release buggy, unoptimized, or imbalanced content? What would they have to gain from it?

Some of you people are either being really paranoid, or really dumb.

To all you people wanting a "DLC to improve game mechanics", I ask: You really want to pay for improved game mechanics which rightly belong in a patch? You think players who don't buy a DLC should be stuck with the old HRE or the old Crusade system? Or should the DLC make the HRE unplayable without the DLC and make Crusades a DLC only feature. New settings, characters to play and artwork is for DLC's - leave improving the base game to patches.

To all you people wanting a "DLC to improve game mechanics", I ask: You really want to pay for improved game mechanics which rightly belong in a patch? You think players who don't buy a DLC should be stuck with the old HRE or the old Crusade system? Or should the DLC make the HRE unplayable without the DLC and make Crusades a DLC only feature. New settings, characters to play and artwork is for DLC's - leave improving the base game to patches.

i think most of them mean exactly that. improving the game AND its mechanics :) . i would have loved a dlc that focused on the rpg elements aswell. duelling and in general more events and interesting stuff (for everybody not just christians). but i am thrilled for india aswell. the dlc after that will be smaller i guess and maybe it will bring more events and stuff

Their polishing speed needs to increase. SoI was the first expansion, and we're still waiting for the decadence overhaul.

As I recall, Paradox were working on it before they released SoA, but stated it wouldn't be in SoA because it wasn't done yet. Perhaps it's finished now?

I agree with him! I don't want to have someone pay to play what I could play for almost two years in the base game!

Well, it's been fun but i guess CK 2 is dead now. What next, expansion about mars colonization? Guess the only solution is to move CK 2 out of the Steam folder to preserve it as it is now before they ruin it for good.