• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really didn't expect this, even with in retrospect the elephant being kind of an obvious clue, because it just sounds like a huge undertaking. Very excited to see what they come up with! A possible solution for the map being too big to load for people with slow computers would be to have mostly separate maps that you can toggle between, and send things like armies and emissaries between. That could also help keep them historically separated, as the game doesn't much simulate travel time otherwise. Potentially very awkward for people right on the border though. Something like that could be cool though. Personally I don't mind ahistorical kingdoms, things like Nubians in Ireland or whatever people are always raging about. They don't seem to happen that often in my games and I find them entertaining when they do. But with the expanded scope it might be good to add some mechanics to control it.

I would also be very keen to see trade fleshed out, although this probably isn't the dlc for it, Africa provinced out, which might make it into this one, you never know, and decadence revamped, which it seems quite possible this will be the time for that. We'll see when the dev diaries get here! Otherwise, very keen for the expanded setting, really exciting!

Edit: Um, there seem to be a small handful of people who have adopted this thread as a place to complain about everything they hate, and it's kind of ruining up the place. Of course people can express their negative reactions to the DLC, but if you've posted a whole bunch of times with very similar negative things, maybe consider giving it a rest and letting others talk? Or not, I guess, it's a free forum.

I really think this is to rebalance the game with respect to hordes and Muslim expansion.

Interesting idea. But then, India was connected with the Muslim world but also with China. And China, somewhat, with Japan. We're gonna have the entire Old World eventually if this continues.

Is this really interesting to people? That's a ton of expansion when the current areas are already underdeveloped...

+1

As an Indian, I am really looking forward to see how Paradox implements this! The current game mechanics can adequately represent the Indian feudal system reasonably well, but there need to be a few tweaks with regards to certain events, which would make no sense in Indian context (they don't in the muslim context either but anyway...).

Didn't you guys have many, many more tiers than mediaeval Europe, as well as quite a good number of the top tiers being considered royal?

The problem here isn't India per se.

The problem is that there is so much more about CK2 that should have been focused on first. Deepening game mechanics and the feudal system for one. This is after all a Medieval simulator. As for cosmetics, we could use better graphical representations of our holdings.

+1

Dissapointing...

So much wrong with the current game, (small things as bugs, hordes, cadet branches, balancing and bigger things as the HRE) I find it bizarre to invent a whole new part of the game, that has ZERO to do with Crusader Kings... I would have been happy if they had used some time on building a more interesting game with economics and trade, currently missing!
Why not just make a new game playing in Asia?

+1

For me and many others, this is a very sad announcement.
The problem with this expansion is not to blame on Paradox, who embarked in such a elephantine (pun intended) task: it's on the players themselves.

Why is that? Simple: map expansions and new factions are simply fig leaves which add only temporary, fake longevity to the game. India being added right now, as it stands, sounds just like that.
Even if they did flesh out well the new factions, after a while, everything will be back to the usual staleness; we'll head into the next game already knowing what'll happen, instead of having a richer and deeper game experience.
That will bring out the inevitable flaws, and people will be back to complaining that X is horribly broken, Y is nerfed to a joke, Z is dull and boring, K is ahistorical as hell while Q clearly is better implemented in the newest Mod.
While ignoring that if Paradox spent a whole big DLC's worth of time (that I'd giddily pay for) enriching the game system, instead of adding more (admittedly interesting) places to the map, maybe the game would have been twice as compelling and for an even longer time too: the more and diverse things that can happen (in a single place, not across the map), the less you can game them all, the less they repeat over the games, the more exciting and unpredictable (in a good way) each playthrough would become.

+1

Hmmm, India ... what's next China? Then you somehow make an US DLC, then Indonesia and Brazil and there you go, you've covered the world's biggest markets. Don't get me wrong, India has a great culture and history, but in a game called Crusader Kings you could make a Martian expansion and it would have the same relevance. This game keeps drifting more and more from it's purpose.

You can't have India without having everything north of there, which includes China on the map. If India stretches all the way down to Ceylon, Abyssinia will need to stretch a bit too, meaning Somali on the map.

I want Paradox to take their time with this expansion. I'm ready to pay 20$+extras like for the old expansions, because amount of work this time is really big. BUT, this simply can't be rushed to release.

Gah, not pleased about this. I would've been more interested even in a fantasy expansion than adding this huge swathe of useless land.

How exactly is India a "huge swathe of useless land?"

Of all the people who are 'so exited' who can honestly tell me things about Indian history without having to look them up on the web to sound smart? Who went out of there way to research Indian history ... and why?

I don't understand how knowing things about Indian history, having an interest in history in general, is supposed to come out of a desire to "look them up on the web to sound smart." Why is Europe from 867-1453 so much more superior and interesting to research?

Sounds exciting! I look forward to learning more about medieval India.

As for the naysayers... I suspect that, months from now, in spite of all your protests, most of you will quietly purchase the DLC when it's on sale and try your luck as a Raja :).

As for the naysayers... I suspect that, months from now, in spite of all your protests, most of you will quietly purchase the DLC when it's on sale and try your luck as a Raja :).

Never said I wouldn't, but I'll be a dejected purchaser ... a disappointed purchaser.

If the game is expanded in a horrible way, with those who don't embrace the change left behind, then it's still better to try to make the best of it than to cling to the 2.0.4 forever. It doesn't make India seem any better.

Never said I wouldn't, but I'll be a dejected purchaser ... a disappointed purchaser.

as you press the buy button on Steam, you will be shaking your head dejectedly, wishing for a time long gone and letting drop a single tear.

ontopic: this sounds rad, I can't wait! Actually I can since I hope it won't be out for a while, you'll need way more time then any other DLC will

I would be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed about this announcement. I was really hoping to get more traits more events for the areas we already have established in the game instead of adding a whole new area that I am not interested in at all...but congrats to the people who are excited about this, I just do not think this will be my cup of tea, but I may grab it when Steam has a big sale!

as you press the buy button on Steam, you will be shaking your head dejectedly, wishing for a time long gone and letting drop a single tear.

ontopic: this sounds rad, I can't wait! Actually I can since I hope it won't be out for a while, you'll need way more time then any other DLC will

I wouldn't mind waiting until Summer for this one either :D

I'm skeptical about this expansion and what it will do to the core gameplay experience.. Even though this was frequently mentioned as a potential piece of DLC, I hoped it would remain a rumor and nothing more..

Europe, Eurasia and North Africa are interesting enough during this timeframe, so I don't really understand this desire to expand the game into a part of the world that barely had any interaction with the main area of focus in CK2. As long as the map isn't automatically expanded in that direction in the patch, I'm fairly certain I'll sit this one out.. :mellow:

I just hoping and begging for Paradox to optimize the engine so I can still play the game after this is released... I'm expecting inane slowdowns but I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

I hope this expansion will come will enable ports everywhere from Egypt to the Indian ocean; it's always been a cruelly missing feature. The addition of India means this distinct 'water basin' will be about as large and important as the Mediteranean+Atlantic seaboard+Baltic combined.

Of course I'd love to see a screenshot of the new map before speculating too much. We dont even know if they're also adding everything north of India; maybe the days of the eastern edge of the map being a straight line are numbered.

I'll give it a try for sure, probably even preorder it if available, but there's so much about this game that needs fixing or deepening or just figuring out. Right now a lot of things in the base game just aren't there, don't work properly, or have been changed multiple times, sometimes without proper testing or much of a clue in general. The game does suffer from staleness and a tendency to be boring... which I guess going to India will alleviate, but for how long.

I hope this expansion will come will enable ports everywhere from Egypt to the Indian ocean; it's always been a cruelly missing feature. The addition of India means this distinct 'water basin' will be about as large and important as the Mediteranean+Atlantic seaboard+Baltic combined.

Of course I'd love to see a screenshot of the new map before speculating too much. We dont even know if they're also adding everything north of India; maybe the days of the eastern edge of the map being a straight line are numbered.

'India' does not mean 'full Indian coastline'. Or even the full horizontal extent of modern India all the way to Burma.

Hey, you get as salty as you want, but you know better than we do that you are going for marketability over real enhancement. You spent a few months working on expanding the map, adding 300 new provinces, and adding new religions. There's no way in hell that you have had the time for the events, mechanics, historical accuracy, or depth that people are imagining. This is going to be as buggy, slip-shod, and shallow as the non-Norse pagans. It'll be the same game on a superficially "grander scale".

The same game that need to be fleshed out in other areas. When Johan alluded to Phase 2 improving rpg elements, I was genuinely excited. Finally, I thought. Judging by how other things were tacked on, this is gotta be received as a bit of a mess.

I'm skeptical about this expansion and what it will do to the core gameplay experience.. Even though this was frequently mentioned as a potential piece of DLC, I hoped it would remain a rumor and nothing more..

Europe, Eurasia and North Africa are interesting enough during this timeframe, so I don't really understand this desire to expand the game into a part of the world that barely had any interaction with the main area of focus in CK2. As long as the map isn't automatically expanded in that direction in the patch, I'm fairly certain I'll sit this one out.. :mellow:

Mainly, when SoA came out the devs were swamped with cries of "THIS DLC CONTAINS NOTHING GIVE US MORE", and, as it was said in the SoA post-mortem DD, they had to concede and think about flashier DLCs. Yes, there would have been better places to develop, but this is sophistry now. I will proceed to panic about performance with the map multiplied by half again. :D

Hey, you get as salty as you want, but you know better than we do that you are going for marketability over real enhancement. You spent a few months working on expanding the map, adding 300 new provinces, and adding new religions. There's no way in hell that you have had the time for the events, mechanics, historical accuracy, or depth that people are imagining. This is going to be as buggy, slip-shod, and shallow as the non-Norse pagans. It'll be the same game on a superficially "grander scale".

Well I'm sure you know best.