• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Last thing we heard was the game was going to add RPG elements and then this comes out of the blue.Is the marketing department now calling the shots for gimmick PC and RPS articles rather than what is best for the game.

So you know what's the best for the game?

The engine would not permit to change the map with a decision. Even adding a "portage" (as between major rivers in Rus) without touching geometry is probably unlikely.

I could live without the channel per se, but the way the engine works, all seas must be interconnected to be navigable. So, unless there is a channel or the entire circumventable Africa (how's that for a DLC?), the whole Indian ocean would be just a decoration, and that's bloody awful for gameplay.

I'm betting Ahistoric Suez Canal

Last thing we heard was the game was going to add RPG elements and then this comes out of the blue.Is the marketing department now calling the shots for gimmick PC and RPS articles rather than what is best for the game.

Could you try to pout less? I'm perfectly okay with people not being excited about the expansion, but you're taking it a bit beyond that.

Could you try to pout less? I'm perfectly okay with people not being excited about the expansion, but you're taking it a bit beyond that.

Some of us are disappointed that the focus has apparently been shifted from deepening the current gameplay and/or are worried about how the inclusion of India will impact balance and technical performance. Its not just whining (though some people are), there are real concerns at large here.

I'm betting Ahistoric Suez Canal

Actually, not ahistoric at all. There is plenty of historically documented evidence of pre-Suez as we know it canals there. Either through Portage or a genuine canal of some sort. Admittedly, hopefully it is done in such a way the controller can easily barricade it so there's a reason to fight for that land...

Actually, not ahistoric at all....

For the time period. The canal was inactive so to speak (had become marshy or such).
Though i'm not sure about the time before 1066, as the last time this was discussed on the forum in detail was probably before the release of ToG.

If it were me I'd voice my concern, and just leave it be, not gonna keep saying something similar in different threads. Don't worry about it, a statement is recorded here forever. Or at least until the website is gone.

Some of us are disappointed that the focus has apparently been shifted from deepening the current gameplay and/or are worried about how the inclusion of India will impact balance and technical performance. Its not just whining (though some people are), there are real concerns at large here.

Balancing was also a problem after deeping the game. Republics were unbalanced, Vikings were unbalanced... We know nothing about the expansion, why did you know it will make problems? I think paradox know that there would problems. But we have too wait at least untill the announcement.

For the time period. The canal was inactive so to speak (had become marshy or such).
Though i'm not sure about the time before 1066, as the last time this was discussed on the forum in detail was probably before the release of ToG.

There was definitely Portage of some sort though. Even if not a genuine canal. I seem to recall that even being documented in either Marco Polo or Ibn Battuta's accounts. (Or maybe it was Rashid ud-din? Or Juvani? I read way too many primary sources during grad school to keep a random fact like that's origin straight)

EDIT: And oh yes, the canal was probably active until at least 1000 CE or so, there's someone who posted an account in another thread about that. Built around the time or Trajan, or someone else who's name I can't remember, accounts vary.

Balancing was also a problem after deeping the game. Republics were unbalanced, Vikings were unbalanced... We know nothing about the expansion, why did you know it will make problems? I think paradox know that there would problems. But we have too wait at least untill the announcement.

Adding 300 new provinces (and more importantly, the characters that go along with them) will slow down the game to some extent, barring an optimization of the engine.

And by deepening the game I mean things like SoA; Republics and Pagans are new features rather than improved preexisting ones.

There's nothing wrong with complaining after you've seen what Paradox has to say about this DLC in their dev diaries. I mean you have a right to be skeptical, and though I support this DLC, even I am to some extent. The difference is that I'm waiting to see how the concerns are tackled by Paradox before completely dismissing this expansion.

As for deepening the gameplay, I'm sure the next DLC will do just that, but those of us who want MORE need to be thrown a bone as well. Those of you who prioritise more depth can't have your own way all the time.

And i'm perfectly fine with you feeling that way and expressing that disappointment/concern, but he is taking it beyond that, which you would be able to see if you read his post.

I would point out like spartanlemur that i think it is way too early to actually be complaining about something before playing it or even seeing it.

I don't see how he is taking it "beyond that." You people need to calm down in your defense of this DLC. People can criticize if they want, even criticize without much evidence. It is their right. That said, the whole name of the DLC "Rajahs of India" is a statement of intent as to where the focus will be, something that can be a valid worry for many people who think such focus is a distraction from the main game, or what used to be the main game, medieval Europe.

I am ambivalent. Truthfully, this DLC does nothing for me, so I won't be buying it. Any benefits I might enjoy can easily be gotten through the accompanying free patch.

So I wait for the next DLC.

EDIT

Which I might add was the whole purpose of the new DLC system to begin with, rather than the old expansion pack system. Buy the parts you want, don't buy what you don't want. Cohesion is maintained through the free patches.

Really? Some people are disappointed with the as-yet-not-officially-announced expansion? I had no idea. Why don't you guys speak up and say something?! :rolleyes:

How can anyone with all seriousness say that they won't buy this? I KNOW I WILL! You bet I will! This is perfect! Ofcourse, I would prefer if Paradox made an entire stand-alone game set in ancient & medieval India. Yet this would suffice. I think this DLC is great and will be worth money I'll spend on it.

How can anyone with all seriousness say that they won't buy this? I KNOW I WILL! You bet I will! This is perfect! Ofcourse, I would prefer if Paradox made an entire stand-alone game set in ancient & medieval India. Yet this would suffice. I think this DLC is great and will be worth money I'll spend on it.

Even if playing an Indian has as much depth as the non-Norse pagans do right now?

yes, it's not like there was a lot of depth for Hindu states in EUIV. Still, it was quite enjoyable.