• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Timur Khan

Shuja-ud-din Timur
5 Badges
Aug 25, 2013
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
Well the reason for this is most probably the huge number of countries then and now but... I don't know what pallete the map is using but considering that there are at least 255 colors why some of the countries on the map have the same colors? The countries total number should be below that or I'm wrong? Maybe I'm missing the HRE countries number?
Compared to EU IV for example there I can easily see which color which country is no matter that their color can be visually the same. Of course it's not fair to compare two games made from different "engines" but my question in the end is: Can FTG map have more unic colors?

AFAIK it can, you just have to add news ones to the colorscales files and change the entries in countries.txt according to the names you gave those colors.

There are 255 colours on the palette, but there are only tiny differences between them in numerous cases. There are only so many reds, blues, greens, yellows, etc. that you can use before you start producing colours that aren't much different from each other.

The maximum number of colours that can be used on the FtG map is 26, and each map colour is made up of three (usually) different shades.

Look at any world map and you'll see the same colour used more than once. The important thing is to space the colours out in order to avoid the same colour appearing in adjacent countries. With 26 colours you should be able to do this, although you can never predict exactly how counties will expand later in the game.

There are 255 colours on the palette, but there are only tiny differences between them in numerous cases. There are only so many reds, blues, greens, yellows, etc. that you can use before you start producing colours that aren't much different from each other.

The maximum number of colours that can be used on the FtG map is 26, and each map colour is made up of three (usually) different shades.

Look at any world map and you'll see the same colour used more than once. The important thing is to space the colours out in order to avoid the same colour appearing in adjacent countries. With 26 colours you should be able to do this, although you can never predict exactly how counties will expand later in the game.

I see this often but in my case where for some reason I make total wars my color is almost always indentical to the neighbours color. :D

I see this often but in my case where for some reason I make total wars my color is almost always indentical to the neighbours color. :D

If you are playing a total war style game anyway then simply assume that your mission is to eliminate any country that fields a colour that some other country already has ^^

Last edited: