• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Morboth

Kaiser und König
124 Badges
Aug 24, 2006
  • Lead and Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
So, I own both games, CK II (and all its DLC), as well as Sengoku. I was thinking of giving it a shot, but I am afraid of finding it seriously lacking, especially given the sheer amount of DLC that CK II's got. Is it still worth a try? Should I check out some mods? Thanks in advance!

The game doesn't have as much content as CKII and it feels much more limited, but if you like the theme then you should be able to enjoy it despite it's simplicity (which I find occasionally refreshing).

The simplicity definitely has an advantage.
Actually, it was my first Paradox game due to it's setting and the fact that you just don't have to deal with sooooo many details and options...makes it easier to get into.

I also have the impression that the AI in this game is actually pretty good at what it does - declaring war on you or going for independence at *exactly the worst possible time* :)

I'd recommend trying out the mod Monumenta Iaponicae Historica, however. It is incomplete (dropped) but in its current incarnation it adds a couple of different start dates (even though the Genpei War start is like totally ahistorical for the framework of the game...) and a bit more depth to it.

It is a bit tough to play after CK2 and even EU4 since you can play as feudal Japan in the same daimyo period and when you're done then interact with the rest of the world and conquer it :) With that said, I think I need to play this game again.

Ok, that sounds good enough. I will try it out, then. :) Thanks!

Sengoku is an EXCELLENT game to play before CK2, it's much simpler and easy to learn while still teaching you all the important things. Not so much after CK2 though, but the simplicity and easy Japan Conquest can be really refreshing after a CK2 game that went down the toilet.