• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
:eek:
The HRE!

You're going to finish before 1750 at this rate.

What Regency?

Our 43-year-old heir dies, so we immediately recall the king from his front-line duties. Aragon is besieged, and there's nothing they can do about it. We take all of their colonial holdings, and some European ones too
1B8r5oO.png

Yw7Xfrx.png

Our king fathers a child. He's not great, but we's all we've got. Meanwhile, Creek is annexed, and the entire new world is now secure.
lPj6MGZ.png

IrtCyE1.png

As a quick view on tech, here's what the standings look line around the HRE. My long-time protectorates of the Golden Horde and Sibur are actually ahead of me.
GcZiI4p.png

We liberate the Mamluks from one of our old provinces, and set sights on those tasty cores in the Ottoman blob. War is declared, and our king dies. Better now than 6 months ago, i guess.
oTwDZ7t.png

JvN2jei.png

The ways of war are hilariously split. My navy is one of the worst in the world, but my armies are invincible. the fleet will sit in port while we smash the Ottomans in Mesopotamia. Eventually, the Ottomans give up all the Mamluk cores in their holding
tLuZapl.png

TTGgd4j.png

rSJfXha.png

One of the daimyos (a dark green one?) finally united Japan. This means taking them out will only take one war. Speaking of wars, now that I'm in regency and looking for places to enforce peace, everyone decides it's a good time to stop fighting.
8NxbyBR.png

lTQDtWd.png

After a brief wait, the Papal state declares war on Aragon. Aragon is small enough to diplovassalize, and my enforcement of peace shoots their relations up to the point where I do just that.
QgtJyYc.png

In South America, the colonial nation of Karavinkonia is born!
vPXnoRw.png

QQ declares war on Najd, who I immediately befriend. the Holy Roman Empire jumps to their defense, eventually leading to gaining QQ as a protectorate
tim37LA.png

The heir to the throne is now 12 years old. As soon as he comes of age, we'll start burning thru this nice 400k manpower pool we've built up.

Why did you united the HRE? I actually see no real benefit of doing so haha, I am running a similar game in parallel and I just figure I will tank that lose of 2 reputation but get all the other benefits from the HRE. And my income and manpower is so huge that uniting the HRE is unlikely to make a difference, beating up on nations far east or natives in the west doesn't require a lot of troops...

God, I can't even... I can't even remain at the level of my rivals with buildings and tech... and you're just... cleaning up.

A large part of it is knowing when to give up on something. There have been a lot of wars that I've peace out of with less than desired to keep the nation afloat. Also, kick your opponents while they're down. Any time it's an option.

Why did you united the HRE? I actually see no real benefit of doing so haha, I am running a similar game in parallel and I just figure I will tank that lose of 2 reputation but get all the other benefits from the HRE. And my income and manpower is so huge that uniting the HRE is unlikely to make a difference, beating up on nations far east or natives in the west doesn't require a lot of troops...

The main reason is that the Netherlands were colonizing. After passing the 5th reform, I couldn't attack them to stop said colonization. This puts the whole "tech suppression to prevent westernization" strategy at risk, as they could cause a westernization somewhere in Asia that I'd have to control/eliminate/something. Losing a handful of economic and diplomatic plusses to gain an iron grip on who can and can't westernize is well worth it (for this playthu)

The main reason is that the Netherlands were colonizing. After passing the 5th reform, I couldn't attack them to stop said colonization. This puts the whole "tech suppression to prevent westernization" strategy at risk, as they could cause a westernization somewhere in Asia that I'd have to control/eliminate/something. Losing a handful of economic and diplomatic plusses to gain an iron grip on who can and can't westernize is well worth it (for this playthu)

That is unfortunate that the Netherlands formed in your play though, the -10% coring cost is a good little plus to have :)
And yes, Mali is a pain if it Westernize... but it seems like they don't break protectorate once they westernize, you will still have some buffer time until they actually caught up in tech
My Mali is western but on tech level <10 in all accounts, and they are still my protectorate

The sheer momentum of this playthrough just leaves me at a loss for words. Damn good job is all I can say!

Oh Eugene I would like to offer another piece of my experience on protectorate to make your life easier when you are going all out in subjugating the entire Asia into being your protectorate.
When you declare a war on an Asian country (with that juicy oversea's expansion CB), that defending country with call in all its Asian allies into the war. It is best if you can get all these countries that are at war with you to become your protectorate via separate peace deals before you make protectorate out of your original victim. The reason behind this is at the current state of the game, protectorates somehow retain their allies once you make them your protectorate (despite that the description said they shouldn't have an allies), so when you declare war later on on a country allied to your protectorate, your protectorate will join the new victim in a war AGAINST you... breaking the existing protectorate status and forcing you to siege them out once again to make them your protectorate... This becomes a waste on both time and diplo points (50 for creating protectorate (37 with -20% Unjustified demands in diplo tree)) So it is best if you can avoid said scenario.
Just a little trick that you can keep in mind so you don't go into repeating wars with the same countries that were already your protectorates in the later stages of your quest :)
Good luck!

Stomp

My king is 15, my heir is 10, my Manpower is at 422K, and Overextension is at 0%. Let's beat up some countries.
Hmwga8V.png

Burgundy is first, as we still have some cores on them from HRE formation. They are not prepared for the assault. Nogai is next, as they are allied with QQ, but QQ's truce with me is not yet over.
HfaogFN.png

bV3Hiyt.png

Nogai and Sind are gained as protectorates, and Burgundy gives up as many cores as 100% warscore will buy. Poland's army of 20,000 dudes gives way easily, as we return some Teutonic cores.
ZfB0Fhs.png

qG9nlv3.png

And now, some strategic talk. Since the tech freeze went into effect, I'm rolling in admin and diplo points. This does not make coring cost a problem, only coring TIME. Therefore, every province that can be obtained via subjugation is preferable to straight conquest from a time standpoint.

Novgorod has been beaten up by all of its neighbors to a vassalable size. We take them. The Papal state is one province too big to be a vassal, so we take that one and will give it back later.
Za6c9LF.png

JzW2rRp.png

The next war was to return some cores to Novgorod. It didn't go exactly as planned, and I kinda got my ass handed to me by Lithuania due to cockiness.
45mGzj0.png

bnBJTOD.png

Upon further inspection, Lithuania made up ~2/3 of the army of this alliance, so I peaced them out and proceeded to stomp on the rest of them.

Kongo had been reluctant to westernize and be vassalized, so I sold my neighboring province to them, and made them a protectorate. That army group then took a walk and made Mutapa a protectorate as well.
19khNMO.png

H8wGf1a.png

A second war on Burgundy allowed all their cores to be taken. They're still too big to vassalize, for now.
wAay8TP.png

I've been building some troops out near Japan, and they finally outnumber the enemy, so I invade. the Afrika Corps continues their whirlwind tour, which brings Najd into the party
dox32hI.png

jku1lVm.png

Wrapping some wars up, the papal state gets vassalized, and Novgorod gets some cores.
mToVgBq.png

llEOZw6.png

WrmKA9Y.png

Most of my manpower is gone now, but it recovers at over 7K per month, so that won't last long. Next target: The Ottomans
zjKSzvx.png

Thanks again for all of your encouragement and advice! there have been a number of parts of the AAR that would not be possible without stuff I found here on the forums.

This AAR has inspired me to attempt WC as GB as well. The current situation as HRE emperor in 1566
CAOmgfy.jpg
Muscovy is a constant thorn in my side, the AI seems to do an excellent job of supporting rebels and preventing me from drawing an army stack elsewhere.

One thing I'd thought I'd share with op is the ridiculously low war score for provinces when I conducted a war of aggression against the ottomans. I was able to take all but three of their European holdings for ~60% warscore, at 6-7% per province. I had also called a crusade against them so this might have contributed to the low warscore. Since you have a multitude of admin and diplo points, consider declaring wars of aggression and just manually stablizing and reducing WE. This is obviously much easier to do if you have the diplo idea set.

If you force release of Syria from Ottomans + take another inconvenient province, you can turn all of the Ottoman Asia holdings into distant overseas which drops the warscore costs to take by quite a bit. Might not be too helpful as coring time is the main issue now.

Have all the byzantine and anatolian minor cores disappeared?

This AAR has inspired me to attempt WC as GB as well. The current situation as HRE emperor in 1566
CAOmgfy.jpg
Muscovy is a constant thorn in my side, the AI seems to do an excellent job of supporting rebels and preventing me from drawing an army stack elsewhere.

One thing I'd thought I'd share with op is the ridiculously low war score for provinces when I conducted a war of aggression against the ottomans. I was able to take all but three of their European holdings for ~60% warscore, at 6-7% per province. I had also called a crusade against them so this might have contributed to the low warscore. Since you have a multitude of admin and diplo points, consider declaring wars of aggression and just manually stablizing and reducing WE. This is obviously much easier to do if you have the diplo idea set.

Yeah, colonial war on the Ottomans will be making at least one, maybe two appearances. The big thing is still coring times for me :(

You seem to be doing really well, best of luck! I'm anticipating that from 1750 on, there'll be a lot more aggressive of a time in terms of no-CB wars, just due to distance.

If you force release of Syria from Ottomans + take another inconvenient province, you can turn all of the Ottoman Asia holdings into distant overseas which drops the warscore costs to take by quite a bit. Might not be too helpful as coring time is the main issue now.

Have all the byzantine and anatolian minor cores disappeared?

Many have, yes. Syria is still around core-wise, though. They'll be released soon.

Always a pleasure to read eugene's AARs. Thanks for posting.

Thanks much! There'll be a lot of play time this week as classes have all been cancelled today and tomorrow due to snow.

Fall of the Ming

We manage to diplovassalize Ukraine, and plan on attacking Lithuania for their sweet cores soon enough. For now, it's time to get the TO's last core from Poland, as well as a little something on the side.
guHbl2m.png

O8DGoEH.png

turnbHb.png

The war in Africa/Arabia winds down, netting Najd as avassal and Kilwa as a protectorate
1MR9T8n.png

ldyabav.png

The Golden Horde (my second-favorite horde this game) kicks a newly reformed Muscovy while its down.
4AkC2kD.png

Japan is soundly defeated, and is now our protectorate. Our grip on Asia is tightening.
BXiodSd.png

The time comes to attack the Ottomans again. We make them release Iraq, and take many of their African holdings.
gTcFHR0.png

eOYCxgb.png

The next big war will be... very big. Ming big. with a side of Shan.
Gn9OmFm.png

Our heir dies suddenly, and we mourn by having a temple built. While hunting, our king finds a child in the woods. He opts to leave it there.
WglDPpD.png

Ofj3Wcz.png

The Livonian Order is the right size for a 2-phase vassalization. we take enough to get them in the next war
Wx4pGXF.png

The first war on Lithuania for Ukrainian cores goes well enough. Kiev is expensive,so this will take a few goes.
KLwCq1m.png

P4YL4n8.png

And now, the world!
BV8RKbq.png

Coring times continue to be a killer for expansion, but things are still going mostly according to schedule. As stated, I've got a few snow days, so updates will be pretty frequent.