• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Weird Slavic expansion, but not by conquest. Denmark become a slavic kingdom, apparently by marriage. The third in Line for the Thorgian (or however you spell that Karling kingdom) was also Slavic, but did not get the throne. It was pretty weird, to say the least.

Without question, the weirdest thing I've ever seen is the granting of Hungary during a Tengri great holy war to the nimrod vassal of mine who contributed the most negative war score for us. All he did was feed units piecemeal to the holy orders to die without inflicting any casualties to the Catholics. I, his liege who singlehandedly rescued us from a huge hit in moral authority was comfortably in 6th place. Regardless of how many tens of thousands I killed.

Cumania invading Germany.

HRE getting Norway and England in 1066.

My Mande character being complemented for my fair skin and blonde hair...

Caliphate declaring claim wars on me when I'm 50 times his size (my local cataphract retinue could squish him)

Abbasids gaining a county in Sweden

Abbasids controlling all of Syria, Jerusalem, Persia, Mesopotamia, Arabia, Egypt, Armenia, Georgia, Anatolia, Greece, Serbia, Hungary, Bulgaria, and Wallachia. It was terrifying.

An AI Britannia with all of de jure, plus Northern half of Spain, plus Scandinivia, plus Lithuania, plus Rus, plus Frisia. What a monster that was to put down.

Oh, and oddest of all, a zoroastrian amalfi.

Last edited:
Without question, the weirdest thing I've ever seen is the granting of Hungary during a Tengri great holy war to the nimrod vassal of mine who contributed the most negative war score for us. All he did was feed units piecemeal to the holy orders to die without inflicting any casualties to the Catholics. I, his liege who singlehandedly rescued us from a huge hit in moral authority was comfortably in 6th place. Regardless of how many tens of thousands I killed.

Did he have a claim? (If so it's not exactly strange - there have been lots of similar Crusade/Jihad/Great HW cases where the lands all go to a surprising candidate who didn't contribute).

Hmm...
Either:
An observer game from 1.10 had the Mongol, Norse and Aztec Empires locked in a triple invasion of each other with the Duke of Brittany the last surviving independent feudal state. I like to think the Duke's life was just one never-ending moment of pure mind-numbing terror.

OR
AI Nubia conquering Egypt and having Miaphysitism triumphant across North Africa, something that undoubtedly led to much beard stroking in Rome and Constantinople.

English Mali takes the cake for me. It was even more hilarious when i converted the save to EU4 and Mali became western tech and had the option to form great britain.

Did he have a claim? (If so it's not exactly strange - there have been lots of similar Crusade/Jihad/Great HW cases where the lands all go to a surprising candidate who didn't contribute).

He had a weak claim to the Duchy of Ungvar. His Dad had been a Hungarian Vassal, lost everything in a rebellion when the king turned Catholic. Sometimes it is hard to avoid mixing up "strange" with frustration.

In my current game I started as Iceland, conquered and established a Norse Scotland. During raids any childen I captured I would have a Norse educate them while living in my prison resulting in most adopting Norse religion, some the Norse culture and they usually have a better opinion of me than their leige. Upon turning 16, I would either make them my concubine or release them. Some I would invite to my court because of good skills or to marry into my dynasty or a vassal.

To my surprise about 100 years later I was viewing the culture overlay and saw Norse ruled and converted provinces sprinkled all across Europe. The Byzantine Empire adopted Norse religion! Apparently an ancestor of one of my Greek prisoners who adopted Norse had became Queen! Now 200 years further along Catholicism is nearly destroyed and Norse-religion Kingdoms rule most.

This is the weirdest Europe ever (and a basis for my AAR). Note especially:
- miaphyiste Nubia still kicking
- Ibadi taking over Sunni
- Yazidi sultanate of Mali
- heretic Catholic holy orders (schism was mended by me)
- Templar France
- Cathar HRE
- Romuva Lithuania
- Suomenusko Finland
- blobbing Pisa
- giant mercenary state in Germany
- Mongol reformed Tengri empire
and Aztecs.

x3ncwM0.jpg

It was just the beginning though - it went downhill from 1264 and currently it's worse. Much worse.

More funny than strange, but...

...the time the Reformed Tengri High Priest called a Great Holy war for Hungary on me. I was pretty nervous at first, before the HRE and France offered to join, as Tengri Cumania was a quite a lot bigger than me at the time. So there we sat with our 80-100K's worth of stacks just East of the Carpathians and waited for the steppe horsemen to arrive.

Which they did, a mighty host of the full 127 warriors of the High Priests personal demense.

Apparently Cumania had decided they weren't interested, and the High Priest's personal levy was a tad on the small side. Just a a little.

Never was the was the word 'Pathetic!' on the instant loss of a Great Holy War, more truly spoken :p

Not particularly strange but in my Shia, Ruler Designed, Mauretania, Shia Caliphate, 1240 (ish) bookmark game, volga bulgaria broke away from the mongol overlords (This happened in that patch that made everyone a bit weaker, but not the rebels i.e. the rebels could be way more successful than normal) and a distinguished bolghar man now known as the 'liberator' broke away from the mongols and subsequently absorbed most of cumania years later. However, what makes him special is that he is a zikri heretic of the Sunni faith, and what makes zikri's different is that they believed some bloke in India was the next muhammad, however, that happens later on in the 15th century irl. It's as if this 'liberator' is the guy the zikris follow and he is the next big guy to bring glory for islam...as opposed to that indian bloke. Tis a shame though, Timur will come soon and make them see how wrong their ways are. For the curious, Rum and Persia are the only main sunni realms left.

(WARNING! BORDER GORE JUST ABOUT EVERYWHERE!)
NsktHYK.jpg

Religion mapmode (He's only converted 4 provinces):
GOpiogf.jpg

Everything else for the curious (Oh and Abyssinia is in civil war but is still all miaphysite [for now]):
12nQdGe.jpg

Strongly recommend people who are slightly bored of 867 or 1066 to try a later bookmark game. The only thing you'll miss out is the mass cultural conversion of all of your lands because you could only be playing for 200 years.

My first campaign saw William the Bastard lose to Harold Godwin, but the de Normandies were tough - The first half of the 15th century Normandy was the last bastion of Christianity in France against the dynamic duo of Sunni Empire of Hispania and Kingdom of Africa.

Also saw a baron and his brother who were both possessed. They got along famously with that +10 opinion of each other. Dinner time at the castle must have been fascinating.

The strangest for me was the Magyars not conquering Hungary and then becoming Miaphysite. The Hungary region is a mix of Hungarian, Avar, Turkish, and Pommeranian, each culture with a different religion. I have no idea how but the Seljuks managed to conquer inner Hungary but then lost in an independence revolt. Now there are some independent Sunni Turkish dukes just hanging out in Hungary with the Miaphysites and Avar Orthodox Bishoprics.

In the same game, Bohemia was created by a Pommeranian duke and then converted to Islam.

In my current game the Aztecs mass converted to Norse while I wasn't looking. Maybe not that surprising since I've made Norse the dominant faith but the Slavic pagans are still very much hanging in there, for example. The territory they took in Spain was Catholic and Sunni for that matter. I think what happened is that the Emperor married a Norse girl and I can only assume she was very... persuasive.