• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rowan11088

Recruit
1 Badges
Jan 16, 2014
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
Here's the situation. I'm allied with Anna, at Peace with the librarian dude. Anna is also allied with him. Librarian sends me a Demand that's ridiculous. To say "no", I have to "Declare War".That's fine, it makes sense after a fashion. But if I do this, the next turn my alliance with Anna is broken and I gain the "treachery" quality in my alliance status with everyone.

It's -25 to relations for everyone except Anna, who has -50. So apparently by declaring war on her ally, even though I am also HER ally, I committed "treachery"!?? And I only declared war because I didn't want to pay a ransom! How is that fair?

It isn't. Diplomacy is, at best, a speed bump in your permanent war with everyone. You've done nothing wrong, and can expect this sort of thing to happen more often than not.

Yeah that's why I don't EVER make alliances since the AI won't really help you much and they throw you into these treachery situations. I find it much better to just sign non-aggression deals and decline alliances, that way noone attacks you or asks you to help them.

I take the opposite approach - I ally with everyone. That way I get more warning when someone's starts hating me; they have to move from ally to NA, wait a few turns, and only then DoW.

I am with AndrewT on this one. I will ally with anyone who asks. If it is advantageous to me to support their demand of help, I will do so. If not, the broken alliance only goes down to Non-Aggression.

I am with AndrewT on this one. I will ally with anyone who asks. If it is advantageous to me to support their demand of help, I will do so. If not, the broken alliance only goes down to Non-Aggression.
I actually actively pursue alliances. They rarely refuse, and when they do they'l usually come around fairly soon.

But if I'm going to go to war with someone, I try to go it honourably by dropping down the alliance status step by step if I have time.

I actually actively pursue alliances. They rarely refuse, and when they do they'l usually come around fairly soon.

But if I'm going to go to war with someone, I try to go it honourably by dropping down the alliance status step by step if I have time.

Again, I agree. It is my experience that the A.I. keeps their end of the alliance which allows me the peace to expand and deal with any threats that might pop up. Stepping down an alliance to war is the route I go or, more often, I will not renew a broken alliance/non-aggression pact if I know the possibility of war exists in the short term.