• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sairoh

Captain
61 Badges
Jun 28, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • King Arthur II
  • Magicka
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
So I decided to try out being a republic as Venice 1066 start. I quickly became very ruthless aganist the rivil families and became Doge then went under the ERE for protection. I didn't see being Doge as a caretaker of all the families and instead a chance to cement my family. This lead to me being cruel and wiping out whole families to keep mine in the top spot. Then I realize. The other republics are at least twice my size. Being a feudal ruler obviously doesn't equal to being a Doge.

Did I screw up by supressing the other families so much? What are the best ways to ensure growth of the realm errr republic? I think being under the protection of the ERE was a good idea since no ruler dared to go to war with me, but expansion became a serious pain on top of competing for trade ports with other republics.

Any of you guys have any tips and hints on running a successful republic?

I wouldn't suppress the other families unless they were crowding one of your trade zones. Just focus on building up a trade zone and have it all connected together for max bonus (ie venice trade zone, put all your trade posts there, there's no point trying to reach far places when you can make max profit right at home.)

Growth in a republic is measured by wealth. Get all the money you can. Capture cities and then counties to link up your trade empire.

It almost sounds like being a Doge isn't really worth it?

Compared to being a King, Doge feels very limited and feels like you can do almost as much as just being a vassal

To help the republic grow I like to steal from the other families really early on until I have 4 trade posts. Sounds counter intuitive like that, but the posts you steal from them, it lets them build another one. Since the AI is rarely super aggressive on that front, it means the republic, assuming very early trade tech, will have 8 trade posts (4 for you, 1 for each other family) within a few years. From there you cant really take more from them or build more posts, so you'll have to either go for the cities where you have trade posts, but then they might be part of huge realms you cant challenge.

So the next step would be to become Doge and start targetting the competing Republics. If they arent too big, go for trade wars and start stealing more trade posts from them. If they are big and you see that a lot of their trade posts are within the same realm, consider an embargo war to set them back.

I'm playing Amalfi right now and its only 955 and already hold 19 trade posts myself, the whole republic holding over 40. By the way, you dont want to totally kill competing republics. Right now I only have Venice to compete with (Genoa was there, but disappeared after 40 years when it was conquered by a King who turned it into a duchy). As long as they are weaker than I am, I keep them alive as they are my only means to add more trade posts to my empire. And those you steal, it lets them build more, so they just become a trade post farm. And if you take away the trade posts near their capital, down the line they are losing cause their trade posts will be further and further from home, costing an arm to build and always starting from scratch.

To help the republic grow I like to steal from the other families really early on until I have 4 trade posts. Sounds counter intuitive like that, but the posts you steal from them, it lets them build another one. Since the AI is rarely super aggressive on that front, it means the republic, assuming very early trade tech, will have 8 trade posts (4 for you, 1 for each other family) within a few years. From there you cant really take more from them or build more posts, so you'll have to either go for the cities where you have trade posts, but then they might be part of huge realms you cant challenge.

So the next step would be to become Doge and start targetting the competing Republics. If they arent too big, go for trade wars and start stealing more trade posts from them. If they are big and you see that a lot of their trade posts are within the same realm, consider an embargo war to set them back.

I'm playing Amalfi right now and its only 955 and already hold 19 trade posts myself, the whole republic holding over 40. By the way, you dont want to totally kill competing republics. Right now I only have Venice to compete with (Genoa was there, but disappeared after 40 years when it was conquered by a King who turned it into a duchy). As long as they are weaker than I am, I keep them alive as they are my only means to add more trade posts to my empire. And those you steal, it lets them build more, so they just become a trade post farm. And if you take away the trade posts near their capital, down the line they are losing cause their trade posts will be further and further from home, costing an arm to build and always starting from scratch.

I never managed to get the embargo option to work. Yet again the HRE owns half of europe and italy so it makes it very hard. Even my ERE emperor dare not touch them. Maybe I waited too long?

Sounds like I better start over. :-/ Thanks for the insight!

How did you not manage to make it work? It costs gold from the get go, so maybe you didnt have that. If you did, then it might depend on the stability of the realm you ask help from. In my Amalfi game, East Francia gobbled up West Francia (yeah, probably wont be any France in that game), Bavaria and Italy. But then we are both catholics and hold nothing in each other's de jure realm, so we have no reason to fight each other. I keep him at 100 opinion just in case Venice decides to send him to embargo me, which would suck. I got no reason to embargo Venice though, since I want their trade posts on the long run..

But if embargo seems a good option, just have the gold and befriend the realm in which your target republic holds the most trade posts...and then ask them to embargo that republic when they are at peace and have the troops. If they arent at peace, its likely that they will accept to help but wont ever send troops, then you're fucked.

Also I am not sure if you can embargo while being a vassal. Im independant so cant really say.

on a semi related note,

If you take a province from a republic, can you make the barony the main title for that province? instead of the town, if so how do you dot it? In my current game, I stole a province from Venice, gave it to a claimant on the kingdom of italy and pressed his claim, won the war and created the most serene republic of Italy as my vassal woops! haha.

on a semi related note,

If you take a province from a republic, can you make the barony the main title for that province? instead of the town, if so how do you dot it? In my current game, I stole a province from Venice, gave it to a claimant on the kingdom of italy and pressed his claim, won the war and created the most serene republic of Italy as my vassal woops! haha.
You have to grant the county to the baron.

on a semi related note,

Give them the barony, then give them the county. The text that shows the opinion bonus they'll give will also mention that the capital will change.

To make vassal doges or vassal theocracies, you just do the opposite - give them the town or temple first, then give them the county.

Both town and castle in the given county must be held by the same person. When that happens, the game will set the capital to the right type of holding based on the holder. If its a feudal noble it will be the castle, if its a mayor/doge it will be the city. Same goes for churches and bishops/archbishops.

So if you want to hold it yourself but its not the right type, revoke whoever holds the correct type in that county and the capital will change. If you dont want to hold it personally, then give it to the guy who holds the right type, like it was said above.