• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(1823)

Johan's Home Account
Mar 14, 2001
- Succession Wars are no longer automatic.
When a country have the chance to form a union with each other, the strongest of the new overlords rivals and/or nations with a royal marriage or same dynasty, have the opportunity to challenge them in a succession war.

# Diplomacy
- Cancelling vassalization will now create a truce with the released state
- Cancelling vassalization now only results in losing 25 prestige (no stability hit)
- Royal marriages will not break if a regent dies.
- Subjects no longer get expansion cb's.
- Subjects to a player can not become lucky nations.
- Subject nations can no longet sell provinces

# War & Peace
- If you send a stabhitting peaceoffer, your callforpeace penalty is reset.
- Scripting separate badboy_factor and prestige_factor for defender in wargoal now works
- Rescripted all wargoals that use separate attacker/defender settings
- wargoals are now applied at all cases in peacescore calculations.
- Release Nation and Annex now deducts provinces ceded properly when calculating final peacescore.
- CORECLAIM_PEACE_COST_DIP_FRACTION in two separate cost reductions
- CORE_PEACE_COST_DIP_FRACTION now gives 20% reduction
- Not possible to call to arms if they are already called
- If you are a daimyo and force another daimyo to release another daimyo, then that daimyo will become a proper vassal of Japan now.
- Making a country a protectorate will now break all their alliances

- Subjects to a player can not become lucky nations.

Well, there goes my strategy of abusing Lucky Muscovy as a vassal. Though given they still make a good vassal due to their forcelimit bonus.

- If you are a daimyo and force another daimyo to release another daimyo, then that daimyo will become a proper vassal of Japan now.

There is a bug where I, a Western country, forced Japan to release a Daimyo, and it automatically became a vassal of Japan.

- Succession Wars are no longer automatic.
When a country have the chance to form a union with each other, the strongest of the new overlords rivals and/or nations with a royal marriage or same dynasty, have the opportunity to challenge them in a succession war.

Great news! Can you define 'strongest'? Is this military, does it using the same calculation as Military Power Diplo modifier or War leader change?

- Cancelling vassalization will now create a truce with the released state
- Cancelling vassalization now only results in losing 25 prestige (no stability hit)

Good, I always thought the costs of breaking vassalisation were way too high. Makes sense to put a truce in, too.

- Subject nations can no longet sell provinces

Just to be absolutely, 1000% sure - they can still BUY them, right?? :) We can still sell provinces to our subject nations?

I know what you said is clear, just want to be absolutely certain given how critical this is...

- wargoals are now applied at all cases in peacescore calculations.

Good!

Any word on what happens when you vassalise a nation with existing wars? Do they peace out? Or is new overlord still called into the war? If so, do any of the fixes, or any other fixes not mentioned, result in the overlord not automatically calling all his allies which results in breaking all his alliances and massive stab hit?

Or is that what this fixes? :

- Not possible to call to arms if they are already called

I really miss a “join the war/support your ally” button in the diplo menue. Had often situations where my ally or even couple of them are in a war (no matter if they started it or were attacked), but I didn’t receive a call to arm event. Though sometimes in a really bad position, these morons are not even able to ask their close allies.

What's a protectorate?

Vassals that are 'low(er) tech'* when you vassalise them will no longer be vassals, they will be Protectorates. They won't give a % of Tax, instead they give a % of TP. And in terms of wars, it's like the Overlord is guaranteeing them - the overlord is called into wars involving the subject, but not vice versa. Unknown if they behave exactly like vassals in other respects, e.g. whether you can annex them. Hopefully you can!

See here: Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise Dev Diary - Random free stuff!

* currently not defined; probably refers to being more than X levels lower in tech than you, and/or them being a lower Tech Group.

Last edited:
I really miss a “join the war/support your ally” button in the diplo menue. Had often situations where my ally or even couple of them are in a war (no matter if they started it or were attacked), but I didn’t receive a call to arm event. Though sometimes in a really bad position, these morons are not even able to ask their close allies.

If they're the Defender you can Enforce Peace on the attacker. But yeah it would be nice to have a general purpose button that worked for all wars.

Though in some cases it's not guaranteed the other nation wants you in - for example, if you would become WL. So definitely in MP games the players probably wouldn't want a general purpose 'join the war uninvited' button, and the same may be true for AI. So it would need to be a request, not an automatic join - you could send a request to join the war, which your ally could accept or decline as they wished. I'd definitely support such a button.

If they're the Defender you can Enforce Peace on the attacker. But yeah it would be nice to have a general purpose button that worked for all wars.

Though in some cases it's not guaranteed the other nation wants you in - for example, if you would become WL. So definitely in MP games the players probably wouldn't want a general purpose 'join the war uninvited' button, and the same may be true for AI. So it would need to be a request, not an automatic join - you could send a request to join the war, which your ally could accept or decline as they wished. I'd definitely support such a button.
What determines the war leader?

What determines the war leader?

Army strength (number of troops and the pips of those troops), possibly also modified by MilTech, Morale and Discipline; but if so, to a very small extent. (Military Power Diplo Modifier does take into account MilTech, Morale and Discipline as well as army strength; I did not see much evidence for it being a factor in WL change, but I didn't test it as extensively.)

See here for my research into the calculations used for : Military Power Diplo modifier and War leader change. (Both are in the same thread and it's recommended to read all the posts from my first one in the thread and onwards, for more explanation/discussion.)

Note that the above details on WL change is for situations where the WL can change. That is decided by the CB used. For details of war goals and whether they permit WL change, see here: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Cassus_belli#Summary

Last edited:
Can we ever annex protectorates? Do they take up relations slots?

They're an alternate form of vassal so I would guess that they do take up a DipRel. I'm hoping they can be annexed, for the same reason, and because if they can't it'll be quite a drastic change in vassalswarm strategy. But no official word on that yet.

Last edited:
Army strength (number of troops and the pips of those troops), possibly also modified by MilTech, Morale and Discipline; but if so, to a very small extent. (Military Power Diplo Modifier does take into account MilTech, Morale and Discipline as well as army strength; I did not see much evidence for it being a factor in WL change, but I didn't test it as extensively.)

See here for my research into the calculations used for : Military Power Diplo modifier and War leader change. (Both are in the same thread and it's recommended to read all the posts from my first one in the thread and onwards, for more explanation/discussion.)

Note that the above details on WL change is for situations where the WL can change. That is decided by the CB used. For details of war goals and whether they permit WL change, see here: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Cassus_belli#Summary
This is pretty awesome, thanks!

You're mixing up colonial nations and protectorates @wet. The whole independence mechanic is only being implemented for colonial nations which are exclusive to the Americas. Protectorates are some new kind of low-tech vassal (which would probably include every Asian or African vassal as a European nation). Would be pretty tough if these took up diplomatic relations while not being annex-able.

Or if you join the war without call to arms event, you couldn't become coalition leader. In case of a request there is always a risk that these morons would reject it for unknown reason.
I mean in theory there is nothing what could prevent you from join the war. As long as you are ally, you have an automatic and absolutely legal reason to join the war. Even if your allies don't want it, it wouldn't hinder you. You just send your troop to the front, maybe then you don't coordinate your actions with your allies (what you don't do in EUIV anyway) or couldn't make the decision regarding peace negotiation for the coalition (don't be a coalition leader), but there is absolutely no reason why you can't declare war on the enemies of your ally.