• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

sPOONz

Sergeant
12 Badges
Mar 4, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
So I am trying to learn as much about the game as I can. I have hit a brickwall however when noticing some units have no difference or so minor I cannot work out their benefit/role in the game.

Line infantry Vs Marine infantry. Same stats accept LI has 600 more men but costs 1.26 more. Is that it? I cant see the cost difference having much impact compared to the benefit of 600 more men per brigade. Why would I choose MI, what am I not seeing here?

Depot Garrison Vs Depot Milita. Here Im totally perplexed as the only difference i see in everything is an extra 18 men for the Depot Garrison.

My only explanation is i have the unit dlcs, did they add units that are good for flavor more than gameplay?

Anyway, great game I love it. Shame to see its development prospects got the guillotine like Senguko though. Shhhhh-chop!

EDIT: Also for other new players, Ive found the development diaries to be very informative. Ive always ignored them presuming they were just advertising hype but these have very helpful info.

Last edited:
My only explanation is i have the unit dlcs, did they add units that are good for flavor more than gameplay?

This. They have the same type of troops inside (regular infantry, light infantry, militia) ,but with another name or size.

I kind of think the different unit types with the same stats were included with an expectation of some future patch making some distinctions among them. Perhaps a lower recruit cost for one over another, perhaps with a slightly better combat stat for the more expensive one. Certainly a 'regional' recruitment limitation for French Corsican Sharpshooters or Ottoman Balkan Cavalry could have been planned but saved to be implemented later. However, with the apparent choice to not do any expansion or further patches these differences have just not come about.

Certainly some historian-modder could use the multiple unit types to develop some differences among them.

Yes, it does seem like an otherwise bad design decision so I too think their original plans got shhhhhhhh-chopped short. (haha, couldn't resist :p)

I have decided to jump into the 1792 Mod and go from there. Usually vanilla of course is the best starting place but seen as that itself is a tad muddled I may as well jump in the deep end.