Worst Political Blunders and Bravest Political Sacrifices

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

NapoleonComple

Never permit evil to prosper
44 Badges
Nov 26, 2011
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Darkest Hour
  • March of the Eagles
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Knights of Honor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Heir to the Throne
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Majesty 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
We've had threads aplenty discussing military disasters, but what about political missteps? Throughout the ages, rulers have walked a tightrope between effectiveness of rule and ability to stay in power and maintain that rule. Sometimes these two aims lined up neatly, but other times doing the correct thing administratively or militarily was absolutely not the right way to go about staying in power. With this in mind, what major political blunders (or honourable political sacrifices) can you think of that either cost a ruler or politician their throne or position, or severely destabilised/depleted that role? Foreign policy blunders don't count unless they also lead to a massive loss of political support or resulted in the monarch being deposed militarily by the described offended foreign power or brought very close to losing power.

For the one example I can think of and articulate, I'd have to post John Balliol of Scotland's blunder of promising Edward I of England allegiance as the English king's vassal in order to get the throne, which resulted in Edward undermining his position so badly that Balliol's Councillors ultimately lost all respect for him and pushed him out of the way, signing an agreement with France that essentially amounted to a betrayal of Balliol's oath of allegiance to Edward. This then brought the enraged Edward I (who really should not have been so surprised given his steady undermining of his own vassal's position) up north, resulting in Balliol's military defeat and usurpation.

This isn't entirely Balliol's fault, and I'm honestly not sure who to blame more; him or Edward. Edward I did everything possible to undermine his position and noble confidence in him by intervening in Scottish affairs as much as possible and making harsh demands which ultimately destabilised his own vassal's political base. It was ultimately a guardian council of 12 nobles, not Balliol himself, who made the fatal decision to ally with France just as Edward was building up for a campaign against her. But Balliol gets the spot for his contemptible decision to seize the Scottish throne by selling that throne down river to such a ruthless opponent. After that moment, I don't think it matters what Balliol did. If he hadn't had his powers taken away by the Scottish nobility, then Edward would have slowly undermined him anyway until he held no real power at all, or was ultimately driven into rebelling himself... or worse, the Scottish nobles themselves might have rebelled against him. Whatever Balliol did from that point on, he was going to lose.

Of course it's possible, maybe even probable, that Balliol had to make that promise in the first place to get Edward to back him, so I suppose he needed to make it to take power. Still, it's the kind of deal with the devil that I'm sure Balliol deeply regretted making only a short time after his coronation as it became clear what life as a client king really meant.

Of course Edward doesn't get off scot-free (hur) either; it was still his decision to put Balliol in that position, and by undermining Balliol steadily Edward ensured that Balliol's position would crumble. I'm not quite sure what Edward was expecting, but I do get the impression, based on my memories of reading "A Great And Terrible King" by Marc Morris, that Edward may have genuinely expected Balliol to behave like any other vassal, and as such had an unrealistic view of the Scottish court and its willingness to submit to the demands of an English king. As such he felt entitled to treat Balliol like any other vassal, and of course his treatment of the Scots in the aftermath of the invasion of Scotland (he burnt Berwick!) was abominable. The hatred generated by Edward in the Scots means that Edward I, an otherwise highly capable king and savvy politician, also gets an honourable mention here for creating a situation that meant that Scotland would always hate the English occupation. That systematic alienation of a state that had actually been quite close to England politically (many Scottish nobles also held land in England) ensured that Edward's less competent son, Edward II, would ultimately lose Scotland itself. Had Edward maintained a lighter hand, or had his reaction to the allegiance with France not been so completely over the top, it is possible that he might ultimately have gained some measure of political control over Scotland. As it was Edward could never permanently control Scotland by force, and it was ultimately his weak son and the leadership of Robert I that lost the country.

So, in summary, points go to John Balliol for making a deal with the devil he couldn't keep, and Edward I, for making the keeping of that deal impossible anyway.

Last edited:
I'd say Charles the rash of Burgundy deserves a mention. Supposedly he had a title as king of Lotharingia in his pocket, but managed to blow it by annoying everyone (including, notably, the Emperor).

Knowing that there will be war with the US in the long term, also knowing that my industrial base is not strong enough for that. So I invade China to get cheap resources and a market for my consumer goods to improve my industrial situation. Sadly this is what drags me into a war with the US which I knew I wasnt strong enough and tried to avoid until I am ready.
Imperial Japan really botched this one.

I'd say Charles the rash of Burgundy deserves a mention. Supposedly he had a title as king of Lotharingia in his pocket, but managed to blow it by annoying everyone (including, notably, the Emperor).

This man was a douche, but the story is really strange. Instead of just telling him to fuck himself the Emperor seemingly accepts to crown him, invites him to his lands, and then suddenly flees away in the dead of night, i mean wtf? Surely Charles had a rather peculiar conception of how guests should be treated, but hell in this case HE was the guest.

Just looking for a clarification; are we talking about Charles the Bold?

Just looking for a clarification; are we talking about Charles the Bold?

Right. Same one. Apparently the standard term varies, and I got the less standard one. Charles le Téméraire, last Valois duke of Burgundy, late 15th century.

He really does seem to have gone about alienating everyone around him, doesn't he? He fought the Swiss, the Lothringians and the French.

He really does seem to have gone about alienating everyone around him, doesn't he? He fought the Swiss, the Lothringians and the French.

With respect to France, I don't think he had much of a choice, but his efforts in Lorraine, Switzerland and against the HRE/Habsburgs were definitely less intelligent.

Worst political blunder: Southern Song Dynasty deciding to ally with the Mongols against the Jin Dynasty. Resulting in the extermination of the Jin and then the extermination of the Song.

It would have been more justifiable (since the Song were paying tribute to the Jin) had they not done the exact same thing during the Northern Song: allying with the Jin against the Liao, which resulted in both the defeat of the Liao and the defeat of the Northern Song.

Knowing that there will be war with the US in the long term, also knowing that my industrial base is not strong enough for that. So I invade China to get cheap resources and a market for my consumer goods to improve my industrial situation. Sadly this is what drags me into a war with the US which I knew I wasnt strong enough and tried to avoid until I am ready.
Imperial Japan really botched this one.
Well, it's not like Japan actually decided they wanted to invade China.

Last edited:
Well, it's not like Japan actually decided they wanted to invade China.
True to a certain degree but its policy led to this incident. They didnt want war with China anyway, they wanted a market and resources. When the war started by "accident" they been cool with that because they thought it would lead to the desired result.

Almost the entire reign of Tsar Nicholas II. Its hard to pinpoint anything he did, he made so many blunders it is almost tragic.

Anything specific from our two latest blunderers?

A very funny blunder:
Hamish Nixon, a contender in a New Zealand MP race, had a slogan: 'the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.'
He lost, and wondered in an interview, why people laughed at his slogan.

The entire convoluted saga of the Suez debacle.

Britain and France encourage Israel to attack Egypt so they can step in as peacekeepers and occupy the Canal. Everyone sees through this deception, and it is blatant that its an invasion by the Anglo-French. The Americans promptly remind everyone who is in charge in the west, and strangle the aid dependent British economy. The Anglo-French are forced to withdraw,and reveal to the world that they are no longer to be reckoned with.

The entire convoluted saga of the Suez debacle.

Britain and France encourage Israel to attack Egypt so they can step in as peacekeepers and occupy the Canal. Everyone sees through this deception, and it is blatant that its an invasion by the Anglo-French. The Americans promptly remind everyone who is in charge in the west, and strangle the aid dependent British economy. The Anglo-French are forced to withdraw,and reveal to the world that they are no longer to be reckoned with.
Good one.

Anything specific from our two latest blunderers?

For Tsar Nicholas II, it is hard to choose a single defining moment which can be described as specific blunder (though there are many). If it was not for his autocratic tendencies, he could be viewed as a somewhat tragic figure.

Good one.

Indeed. A humbling moment for the British and French politically and saddening as it was the last major airborne assault of British forces.

Definitely not the worst, and not the highest of stakes, but rather amusing. In the Ontario general elections of 2003, the biggest part of the race was between Dalton McGuinty and Ernie Eves. Eves' campaign was mismanaged and dogged by scandal from start to finish (including accusing McGuinty of voting against a specific bill that he actually voted for), but the worst part came when they accidentally issued a press release that accused McGuinty of being a "evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet (sorry)." Apparently, it was a fake press release that some junior staffer threw together as a joke due to the mudslinging Eves had been engaged in against McGuinty (while McGuinty refused to respond in kind, intentionally spinning it as taking the "high road" to a media already irritated at Eves for unrelated reasons), and absolutely no one killed the release before it went public. Eves' campaign went into full-on damage-control mode as they tried to figure out who to blame and how to keep the joke from going out of control, the public had a good laugh while thinking inwardly about how Eves kept picking these kinds of pointless fights, and McGuinty observed that he actually liked kittens as well as as puppies, and that he didn't actually consume them. Needless to say, McGuinty won, and the Liberal party picked up an additional 37 seats for 72 total out of the hundred-seat legislature. While it wasn't the sole reason Eves lost, it did become a bit of a symbol for the whole disastrous campaign on the part of the Progressive Conservatives.

The Fourth Crusade. You don't have to be a Byzantinophile to know it was one of the biggest disasters in Western history. Not only did it horribly backfire later on with Turkish conquest but the fact that it was supposed to be a Crusade really makes it a huge pile of dirt in history books. Huge part of the blame goes to Byzantines themselves of course but the bloody Crusaders were the last people I'd expect to do something like that.

Also, Valentinian III murdering Flavius Aetius, and the shit-for-brains who thought Ricimer would make a great Magister Militum.