• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MaP_Prime

Captain
71 Badges
Dec 9, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
I'm playing as the king of Italy and I've been trying to conquer the county of Rome. I've gone to war several times and I've successfully won each war, but every time I take control of Rome it goes right back to the Pope. Despite having a de jure claim on the country itself is it impossible to conquer the county as a catholic?

My stupid idea would be to make an anti pope and force his claim.. Then revoke his land once hes your vassal? Yeah the plan gets a bit fuzzy there.

edit- as to why it won't stay yours, I assume because hes your religion head you can't take his land with your claim only another popes that you control? Idk, its a guess.

Last edited:
My stupid idea would be to make an anti pope and force his claim.. Then revoke his land once hes your vassal? Yeah the plan gets a bit fuzzy there.

edit- as to why it won't stay yours, I assume because hes your religion head you can't take his land with your claim only another popes that you control? Idk, its a guess.

You can only vassalize the pope if you are an emperor as the pope is king tier.

A dejure claim vassalizes the owner of the province. Because the pope is a king, he immediately gains independence. You either have to become an emperor or use a different CB.

I'm playing as the king of Italy and I've been trying to conquer the county of Rome. I've gone to war several times and I've successfully won each war, but every time I take control of Rome it goes right back to the Pope. Despite having a de jure claim on the country itself is it impossible to conquer the county as a catholic?

In my game as the ERE, I had the complete duchy under my control (the one for Rome) and for some werid reason, the pope suddenly and out of nowhere land Rome again, and the other 2 counties within the duchy were indpendent. Then the Pope called a crusade within a week of me noticing it...

I think Rome might be a bit strange/buggy with the Pope, once you own rome yourself, IDK...

I, as Emperor of The Franks and King of Italy, had the de jure claim on Rome and I've pressed it... I have not your problem: I got Rome and all its f*ucking churches and Pope become landless as expected!

I was playing with patch 2.01 so maybe it is a bug introduced with the new patch?

Could you not give the Pope a church or something to have him be landed?

Yes I could and indeed I did I've given him the Bishopric of St. Denis (in Paris) only to create and Anti Pope after to have the possibility to vassalize him when the truce ended. Now I'm mimicking the situation of the Emperor of ERE with a vassal religious head in the capital of the Empire.

I needed to mod the game a little to change Rome to be a barony instead of a Bishopric to not have penalties that's all!

Yes I could and indeed I did I've given him the Bishopric of St. Denis (in Paris) only to create and Anti Pope after to have the possibility to vassalize him when the truce ended. Now I'm mimicking the situation of the Emperor of ERE with a vassal religious head in the capital of the Empire.

I needed to mod the game a little to change Rome to be a barony instead of a Bishopric to not have penalties that's all!

Revoke the barony of Tusculum in rome, that way you won't have to rule Rome from a bishopric.

Just thought I'd mention that making Rome a barony in game does not require any moddig if you own the county, just revoke one of the castles from whatever baron is holding it and the castle becomes the capital of the county instead of the church. The same goes for any county that has a church or a city as its capital, though if you're a patrician a city will always be made your capital over a castle. The -20 reputation for reduction lasts for 5 years so if you care about that you can always just assasinate your way to an inheritance instead (well for castles that is, not for cities), though you may get caught and get a reputation loss from that too ;)

As has been pointed out you have to be an Emperor to vassalise the Pope if you're a catholic, (even if you make your antipope the new pope you can't have him as your vassal unless you're his Emperor) and if you try to just take the county of Rome he keeps getting it back, I was bloody annoyed the first time that happened :laugh:

edit: ninjaed :glare:

I'm unsure now if I was an Emperor or not when I take Rome... the fact is that the Pope doesn't become my vassal he became landless! Effectively I should have get a vassal for a de jure claim right?

Maybe there was a bug in the version I was using, too...

Technically being an Emperor I should have vassalized him without the need of an Anti Pope in this case :unsure: