• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Colruth

Captain
74 Badges
Sep 12, 2013
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Semper Fi
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Rome: Vae Victis
I made a start at 867 as the Duke of Toulouse, under the King of Aquitaine.

We are now in 911. I am still a vassal of Aquitaine, as I plan to stay as long as I can (those Claimant Factions that you can't dodge... anyway.).

Now my personal 'realm' encompasses the whole Duchy of Toulouse, the whole Duchy of Barcelona and Albaraccin in Aragon. My primary title is Toulouse, in Aquitaine.

The current king of West Francia also is King of Aquitaine and King of Aragon (thanks to me). He is, obviously, my liege.

Aquitaine is completely under my liege's control, while Aragon is not. Besides what I hold, the islands of Mallorca are also under his control. Valencia (3 counties) is still under the Muslims control, and 3 counties from the Duchy of Aragon is under Navarran control.

Navarra holds those 3 counties in Aragon (the duchy, not the Kingdom) as well as his 3 de jure counties in Navarra.

Now here comes the puzzle. West Francia (the King's primary title) and Aquitaine are under elective succession. Aragon is under Gavelkind.

As per the current votes, West Francia and Aquitaine will follow each other, in the hands of the current King of Castille by alliance (his wife, the Queen is the ruler of Castille), who happens to be the last living son of the King. Aragon will fall in the hands of some grand-grand son of the King, who's lineage tracing back to the king are all dead.

So here's the question. My realm sits straight on the line between Aquitaine and Aragon. I assume the king's succession will not have my own realm break in half. Following that logic, I assume I will be following the Kingdom under which my primary title (Toulouse) sits.

So, basically, the portion of the Kingdom of Aragon currently controlled by the King will be broken in half. the 2 islands of Mallorca will stay under the crown of Aragon, even though it's only 2 counties, while the whole 7 counties that are under my personal jurisdiction, along with the Duchy of Barcelona, will stay under Aquitaine, since it is part of my Great Duchy of Toulouse.

If that is the case, it is rather funny. The King of Aragon will only have 2 counties, on an island where he has no technology to build the ships required to leave it. Meanwhile, the closest to being able to usurp the crown would be the succeeding King of West Francia and Aquitaine, but with only 7 counties out of 15, it won't be enough.

The other option would be that I would end up following the crown of Aragon, taking Toulouse along with me. That would be funny in a different manner, being subject to a King who holds 2 counties in remote islands, while the rest of his realm is mine.

The last option would be that my realm gets broken in half, but that makes no sense to me... it's not my succession, but the king's.

Any thoughts? At worse, I guess I'll know very shortly.... the King is 68 (the last survivor of the 5 Karling brothers from the beginning.)

Ok got my answer...pretty annoying...

Actually before the King died, the succession changed all over the place. Still, Aragon became independent, while Aquitaine and West Francia stayed together.

Now what happened is that Toulouse stayed with Aquitaine and I kept everything that was in my direct Demesne, which was basically all of Toulouse and the county of Barcelona.

All my count vassals that were in Aragon became direct vassals of the King of Aragon, while I kept the duchy of Barcelona (and, obviously, de jure claims on each one of them.)

So yeah, a mess. Still got plenty more strength than the king of Aragon, that is if he doesnt get gobbled up by the Muslims before I get to him...currently in a claim war against Navarra for the duchy of Aragon...

Well I did manage to deal with the problem by assassinating the king of Aragon, who's heir was the king of France... and then just revassalize every county through de jure claims...

Then the Muslims declare a Holy War for Barcelona... the King never sends any troop, too busy he is to claim Italy...

After 3 years he eventually comes around... bring 10k troops... but guess what, he was leading those troops... and then he dies.

And guess what. Now Aquitaine breaks apart from West Francia...breaking my realm once more. Oh yeah because the AI decided it would be nice to revert Aquitaine from Elective to Gavelkind.

As fun as it may be to play a Vassal, the AI really need to be revamped before it is any fun. Its as if the AI is not interested to keep what it has. Thats when the AI dances with his troops because he is fighting two wars at the same time and keep changing his mind as to what he wants to focus on...