• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I wish there was "dejure claim", which could represent 2 kingdoms each claiming a county/duchy/whatever, instead of the king saying "this is my personal land", but rather "this piece of land is in our borders". Maybe each kingdom should have dejure claim on every county(or duchy) bordering the dejure kingdom, or only if they're of the same culture.

My understanding is that the USSR wasn't actually planning to attack Germany. What it was doing was establishing new fortified lines to protect the territory it had conquered as a result of the Nazi-Soviet pact. However, it hadn't finished doing so before Barbarossa started, and the old lines of defence had been partially dismantled and weren't properly manned.

Stalin prepared his forces to invasion not to defence. And if you preparing to invasion you dont bother with defences only gathering people on border - expecialy if you trusting in your number. Hitler and his commanders use oportunity and put everything on single card to take inicitive. They just ride over not expecting nothing soldiers hiting hard inside the USSR.

And about main topic, every war was always start because of some explanation. Even serial murderers have reasons in they act, even if they logic sound idiotic. :p

anyway point is christian kings wouldn't get in a huge war then at the end say 'oh we started it over a single county so that's my only reward' (even though they just crippled the other party)

I believe that's the only real issue with CK2. There shouldn't be a restriction on the CBs, but there should be a change in peace negotiations. I.e. paying yearly tribute, etc...

I believe that's the only real issue with CK2. There shouldn't be a restriction on the CBs, but there should be a change in peace negotiations. I.e. paying yearly tribute, etc...

In the same way, there should be a similar thing to Civ5 where you could ''buy'' peace, by giving cash to your potential aggressor; or something similar to what the Mongols did: you get an option to ''vassalize'' yourself to them or war.

Yes it is stupid that a big war which starts out over a small province, leads to you crushing their entire military, then you're like "I'm the most polite gentleman in the world, so even though I am striding titanic-like over your unprotected homeland, I'm going to be a good guy and just take the single county I claimed this fight was about"

Similarly, if some hard-ass Caliphate invades your ass in a Holy War, or a bunch of Pagans come to conquer you... you could have a huge-ass war on your hands, and at the end even if you occupy a heap of their territory, you're supposed to just say "have it back for some piety, or some money/prestige". Weak.

The EUIV system of negotiating peace seems more realistic. On the other hand there needs to be a way to stop insta-blobbing... but wouldn't the best way to do that be to make the game harder (not just in gamey, +20% for the AI ways, either), rather than putting artificial limitations on expansion?

Yes it is stupid that a big war which starts out over a small province, leads to you crushing their entire military, then you're like "I'm the most polite gentleman in the world, so even though I am striding titanic-like over your unprotected homeland, I'm going to be a good guy and just take the single county I claimed this fight was about"

Similarly, if some hard-ass Caliphate invades your ass in a Holy War, or a bunch of Pagans come to conquer you... you could have a huge-ass war on your hands, and at the end even if you occupy a heap of their territory, you're supposed to just say "have it back for some piety, or some money/prestige". Weak.

The EUIV system of negotiating peace seems more realistic. On the other hand there needs to be a way to stop insta-blobbing... but wouldn't the best way to do that be to make the game harder (not just in gamey, +20% for the AI ways, either), rather than putting artificial limitations on expansion?

A simple way of making the game harder would be to have an option for people who live in foreign counties (by that, I mean really foreign, like a Frankish in Cuman lands, but not a Frankish in German lands) in the decision screen to switch to the popular culture or have that event fire more often... and the AI would be more inclined than it is to take it. This could make the game harder in terms of expansion as every new vassal in culturally foreign lands will have a big malus eventually...

How about you can take land not being claimed in the war, but it costs piety against brothers of the faith, and prestige against anyone else. It should also be possible for a war over larger extents of land end in a "stalemate" situation where one side conquered parts of territory, but can't advanced forward, or back, and instead of a white peace in this situation, a peace at current lines is instated. All vassals that fall in the occupiers land, either partially or fully, can't have their land revoked by their new liege, as the land technically is contested. This could represent a Hundred Years War standoff, where England occupied several parts of France, even when peace reigned.

How about you can take land not being claimed in the war, but it costs piety against brothers of the faith, and prestige against anyone else. It should also be possible for a war over larger extents of land end in a "stalemate" situation where one side conquered parts of territory, but can't advanced forward, or back, and instead of a white peace in this situation, a peace at current lines is instated. All vassals that fall in the occupiers land, either partially or fully, can't have their land revoked by their new liege, as the land technically is contested. This could represent a Hundred Years War standoff, where England occupied several parts of France, even when peace reigned.

The only problem I can see with piety and prestige cost is that they really do not amount to much in gameplay terms as they barely affect the gamestate (especially prestige).

The only problem I can see with piety and prestige cost is that they really do not amount to much in gameplay terms as they barely affect the gamestate (especially prestige).

I could see a prestige system working if prestige was much harder to get, abd the cost of taking those territories was very high. To the point where it is actually a bit of a challenge to get to 2000 and get the full relations bonus with your vassals. Say it cost a thousand prestige per county outside of your CB . You fight a war and end up conquering 4 extra territories. All of a sudden your prestige could go from giving you a plus twenty with every vassal to a -20 with every vassal, that would be a huge swing.

Ugh. Do Catholics even believe in 'The Anti-Christ'?

I think you can mod yourself some free king level CBs on all your neighbors. Because this is never going to happen. AI can't cope with the 'slow' expansion the player makes as it is.

I think Sengoku has a faster paced system with a similar engine if you just want to crack some heads, but I hear its harder.

Ugh. Do Catholics even believe in 'The Anti-Christ'?

I think you can mod yourself some free king level CBs on all your neighbors. Because this is never going to happen. AI can't cope with the 'slow' expansion the player makes as it is.

I think Sengoku has a faster paced system with a similar engine if you just want to crack some heads, but I hear its harder.

I hear its not fun at all.

i never understood why they change the sistem from ck1 which was basically i can demand the thigs i conquered (whith the attached badboy increase) even if they werent part of the original invasion

It would be nice to have a change to the peace mechanics.

... and also to possibly have occupying the specified territory mean more. "I've occupied this remote island for five years, why do you want me to come from Britain to Norway just to utterly crush you?" :|

It would be nice to have a change to the peace mechanics.

... and also to possibly have occupying the specified territory mean more. "I've occupied this remote island for five years, why do you want me to come from Britain to Norway just to utterly crush you?" :|

Aka faster war score ticking.

What about going heretic and conquering the hell out of the Catholic Europe through holy wars? Your only problem would be represented by the Orthodox and the Miaphysite, because (unfairly, in my opinion) they are not "opposed" to a catholic heresy, but you can rise a Nestorian child if you want to wage holy war on the orthodox, while waiting for the Miaphysite to be rubbed off the map by the Muslims (it always happens in my games).

Even easier would be to become jewish: holy war CB against everyone!

Personally, since i like the idea of remaining Catholic sometimes, I modded the muslim_country_conquest to be available to everyone. I don't play ironman, of course.

There should be a 'become the Anti-Christ' option, which requires like -1000 piety or something stupid. Upon becoming the Anti-Christ, as a Catholic, you no longer need cassus belli to declare war on other Christians. You'd get like -2 Piety a month, and every other Catholic nation would have a 'conquer the anti-christ' cassus belli on your territories. Fun or lame?

There is already an event chain in game where the anti-christ is born though

What about going heretic and conquering the hell out of the Catholic Europe through holy wars? Your only problem would be represented by the Orthodox and the Miaphysite, because (unfairly, in my opinion) they are not "opposed" to a catholic heresy, but you can rise a Nestorian child if you want to wage holy war on the orthodox, while waiting for the Miaphysite to be rubbed off the map by the Muslims (it always happens in my games).

Even easier would be to become jewish: holy war CB against everyone!

Personally, since i like the idea of remaining Catholic sometimes, I modded the muslim_country_conquest to be available to everyone. I don't play ironman, of course.
What do your games look like? Surely the Karlings blob a lot for you.