• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

staples11

Sergeant
38 Badges
Feb 21, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • War of the Vikings
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Cities: Skylines
Nantes 867, for several fresh game restarts now within 3 years I prepare to invade Brittany. Of course Brittany tends to have a civil war during this period. However, every time the 2 years of prepared invasion time is nearly up and I simply have no prepared invasion casus belli on the Duke of Brittany, just single county conquests. I've even tried the single county conquests and my prepared invasion still fails. This has happened 6 times in a row now. Any ideas why?

No idea why but you really don't need to waste your prepared invasion on brittany. Just hire the irish band and declare a conquest of one of his holdings defeat his army then seige that holding down and finish the war. Once this happens his other vassals should revolt switch will let you conquer them while they are revolting. Once thats done usurp the duchy and do conquests on the now independent counts. Don't take mortain because its de jure france and you dont want the karlings after you.

In my Nantes game, I just took all of Brittany at the beginning. With your event troops (even the diminished troops from the last patch) you should be able to easily beat Brittany. Just wait out the holdings (don't waste your troops on a direct assault). After I took the first county, I then kept breaking truces to take all the rest.

As for why you couldn't declare an invasion:

My best guess is the civil war made Brittany an invalid candidate for invasion. IIRC, an invasion needs to target someone with between 10-40 holdings in a kingdom. If there is a civil war, this could have reduced the target to less than 10 holdings.

I don't quite know for sure whether the holdings requirements is checked only once when you prepare the invasion or if it also checks when you are ready to declare the war.

In one of my games, one of my vassals started to prepare an invasion against Frisia (I had already taken most of it). Frisia was down to the county of Holland and the duchy of Gelre (3 counties). I Holy Warred Frisia to take Gelre, bringing it down to 1 county in Frisia (and 1 in Germany and 1 in Lotharingia). The vassal never ended up completing his invasion, presumably because Frisia now only had 1 county (4 holdings) in Frisia.