• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kathandis

First Lieutenant
7 Badges
May 29, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
This has been bugging me for a while why orthodox does not have this or at least the ability to join catholic crusades. This makes orthodox probably one of the least fun to play. besides if the schism is mended then I think their should at least be crusades.

Last edited:
This has been bugging me for a while why orthodox does not have this or at least the ability to join catholic crusades. This makes orthodox probably one of the most least fun to play. besides if the schism is mended then I think their should at least be crusades.
Yes, there should be Crusades, something which Orthodoxy opposes. Because screw real life.

This has been bugging me for a while why orthodox does not have this or at least the ability to join catholic crusades. This makes orthodox probably one of the most least fun to play. besides if the schism is mended then I think their should at least be crusades.

MOST LEAST FUN TO PLAY...Most least fun... Most least... most.

And yes, read a book.

You mean just as the Aztecs took the British Isles, Or how the Norse Fylkir who Also happens to be Emperor of Tartaria took all of Central Europe. Oh wait This game is about alt history.

You mean just as the Aztecs took the British Isles, Or how the Norse Fylkir who Also happens to be Emperor of Tartaria took all of Central Europe. Oh wait This game is about alt history.

I was going to say, I don't remember any Great Holy Wars among the reformed pagans of history, but I could be wrong...

Maybe if you fully eradicate Catholicism you can unlock it.

Honestly I think crusades should be changed to be the only great holy war that can transcend religious barriers. Make Catholics the only ones able to declare them but give the patriarch and the Holy roman emperor the ability to petition for them and allow orthodox and Miaphysite to joint he crusade. Allow a few of the heresies who historically would have joined in if they could to join in too.

Historically the crusades involved all of the christian world and even the Ethiopian kingdoms who played a small part in them. I'm not sure about islam but from my understanding this level of holy war is only something the Catholics ever had so it could make for an excellent new christian dlc that extends to other parts of the christian world.

I'm not totally sure how it currently works but if religions were made into four tiers they could definitely model interactions within them better. An example of the four tiers would be Abrahamic > Christian > Orthodox > Nestorian or Abrahamic > Islam > Sunni > Sunni/blank or with pagans all the tiers would be filled with the same thing like Norse > Norse >norse > norse and would just show up as norse. The lowest tier is what you see like usual but belonging to certain tiers like christian will give special bonuses that all christians would apply to each other (heresies are the exception). This is just an idea of how it could be implemented though. The important part is allowing all of Christendom to crusade.

From a gameplay perspective, they should probably at least get crusades once the schism is mended, otherwise it's pretty tempting to mend the schism and then go catholic and get those fun heresy taking over mechanics to work for you.

Yes, there should be Crusades, something which Orthodoxy opposes. Because screw real life.
- yeah, because ingame portrayal of christian orthodoxy have something to do with real life.:glare:

MOST LEAST FUN TO PLAY...Most least fun... Most least... most.

And yes, read a book.
- not everyone on this forum is native english speaker.

Well Judaism is against holy wars and that sort of stuff but they still have them.
- and they can crusade too.

From a gameplay perspective, they should probably at least get crusades once the schism is mended, otherwise it's pretty tempting to mend the schism and then go catholic and get those fun heresy taking over mechanics to work for you.
- well, to be frank i kind of doubt that "post schism mend" orthodoxy even need crusading mechanic. IMHO game needs complete overhaul of ALL religion related mechanics: heresies, conclaves, religion head, crusading and holy warring, polygamy and concubinage etc etc etc, in short - all of them. IMO religion should be more... responsive and influenceable by player actions.

Last edited:
If they have mended the schism, then it's probable that Byz (and thus the orthodox faith) is quite strong, so there's no real reason. Otherwise, they were kinda doomed, and it wouldn't really make sense (not that it stopped many other game design). It's a choice that the devs made.

I dont use optional DLC like Sunset Invasion because its fantasy mod.

Because Europe cant be conquere by guys living in stone age and dont knowing even wheel for transport. :p

Really? I seem to recall reading a Book that said otherwise...

Are you perhaps referring to same book that the orthodoxy and catholic church use? What a holy book says to do and what people believe and do are often at odds. All that aside I support orthodox nor having crusades although I would like some type of invasion like cb for them particularly if it's a reconquest.

Are you perhaps referring to same book that the orthodoxy and catholic church use? What a holy book says to do and what people believe and do are often at odds. All that aside I support orthodox nor having crusades although I would like some type of invasion like cb for them particularly if it's a reconquest.

Yes I'm talking about that book, the book that details several events of Jewish Holy wars. There's also the concept of Milḥemet Mitzvah. Which for all intents and purposes is a holy war. Also you have several events in recorded history of Jewish groups waging war on other people because they weren't Jewish, even ones as recent as the 1900s during the formation of Israel.

Now I'm not saying that this represents the beliefs of all Jewish people. But the Jewish position is very similar to the Islamic view of 'holy war' in which No war is A Holy War as it is not sanctified. But as you said, What a persons Religion says and what those people do are often at odds with each other.

Are you perhaps referring to same book that the orthodoxy and catholic church use?
- he referring to book that used by all christian denominations and jews themselves.

What a holy book says to do and what people believe and do are often at odds. All that aside I support orthodox nor having crusades
- you kind off contradicting your own statement. How you can support "orthodoxy not having crusades" and in the same time state that holy scriptures and people believes can differ? Just look how different "whole" christian religion become over two millenniums of existence, look on all sprawling denomination and sects, look how catholic and orthodox liturgy changed over those centuries. Religion is not something set at stone, it changes under influence of politics.