• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

NewbieOne

Field Marshal
31 Badges
Dec 4, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Sengoku
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
Right now, courtiers in all and vassals in many situations have no will of their own. Under an idealised picture of feudalism obedience truly resembled monastic discipline. On the other hand, the obligations were mutual, and in an ideal world the liege would live up to his part of the deal. In an ideal mediaeval world anybody would render proportionate respect to anybody else's dignity.

Thus, it really shouldn't be the case that you can, say, being a lowly count or even patrician, invite your king's heir to your realm and matrilineally marry or betroth his son to your daughter. Or that you can invite the Kaiser's 18 year old sister (if she has a sufficient malus with her liege or 'liege') and marry her to your 70 years old Lowborn Cuman marshal. Courtiers shouldn't have all sorts of unmatched, unprestigious etc. marriages imposed on them, especially if they belong to your (top) liege's family.

Also, there is a difference between owing fealty with taxes and levies from church holdings and automatically granting the secular power's wishes in spiritual matters. That's just too simplistic and too deterministic at the same time. Caesaropapism belongs more with investiture laws and diplomatic relationships than simply being the overlord of the cleric's temporal holdings.

I grouped the two together because they come down to the same root cause: the absence of a 'free will' in courtiers and in some cases in vassals.

A related issue is something I mentioned a while ago, i.e. the hard blocks for requesting marriages or vassalisation. Especially the 'distant realm' is awful because you can be the de iure liege, same religion, very powerful, prestigious etc. (what vassal candidates normally care for) and your provinces can be adjacent to the same sea cluster as his own, but you'll still get 'distant realm' that cuts the negotiations. The same goes for wrong religion, even among fellow Christians, which is both historically unrealistic (e.g. Armenian principalities always preferred the Franks over the alternative in the form of being conquered by Rum or Egypt) and unfun in terms of gameplay.

Unbound the choices, please. Reduce the hard blocks, replace them with what '-----' implies, which is that '+++' and '+++' will beat '-----'. Like I said, such hard blocks are unfun, as well as increasing the learning curve and annoyance because you need to remember which '-----' is really just five minuses and which '-----' is infinity.

Enable courtiers to have some say in their marriages and/or (preferably both) enable backlash from their offended families.

While at it, one needs the ability to react to one's family being imprisoned by someone else, as well as one's vassals and even their vassals. If I'm their king, why can't I ransom them out of some sort of Seljuk jail?

Last edited:
Since when should courtiers have "offended families", where most of them are lowborn? Once you leave your noble families for a foreign court, there is little your family can help you.

As for accepting vassalisation, you left out culture. Foreign culture can be a big factor in refusing vassalisation. Also, "power" more often refers to title tiers. One level difference and you get the "small difference in power" coming in.

Since when should courtiers have "offended families", where most of them are lowborn?

Your logic is flawed, apart from your information being incorrect. Firstly, most courtiers are not Lowborn. Most courtiers come from vassal families and randomly generated unlanded dynasties. Only few are Lowborns.

Secondly, even if 'most of them' were Lowborns, it wouldn't unSalian those of them who are Salians, unCapet those of them who are Capets etc.

Once you leave your noble families for a foreign court, there is little your family can help you.

You can be executed before your family can react, but there's no such thing as the Kaiser being unable to react to some lowly count in the HRE (or even outside) mistreating his sister or daughter or cousin. Honestly, what do you think would happen in England if some Hwicce duke invited Robert Courthose to his court and married Robert's eldest son to his own daughter matrilineally (if such a thing had actually existed at the time)?

As for accepting vassalisation, you left out culture. Foreign culture can be a big factor in refusing vassalisation.

Yes, but only one factor. Foreign culture is not a hard block, though (nor should it be). It can be offset by positive factors.

Also, "power" more often refers to title tiers. One level difference and you get the "small difference in power" coming in.

You're confusing 'power' with 'difference in rank'. There can actually be something like 'Power +++++' but still 'Small Difference in Rank -----' (IIRC it's five) because you're a king and he's a duke. Even if your realm is 100 times the size of his own.

On the other hand, you could have the appropriate difference in rank but lack the power (kings weaker than some counts are rare, but they exist, e.g. Aragon).

On adding some free will to courtiers – I completely agree. Some actions should offend the courtier so much she disagrees or even flees to another court.

Regarding hard blocks, though... I think some of them are very useful and should be kept. However, most of them could and should be made moddable, because they may not make sense in all mods. That way those who absolutely hate them could also mod them out if they want.

On adding some free will to courtiers – I completely agree. Some actions should offend the courtier so much she disagrees or even flees to another court.

Yeah – there is already a precedent: Imprisonment. They don't go to jail peacefully. Vassals don't all surrender land peacefully, either (although some do). They should flee a dishonourable marriage or a bishop appointment that would disinherit them.

Regarding hard blocks, though... I think some of them are very useful and should be kept.

I potentially agree, as in some of those things really deserve a place. How about making them extremely hard to beat but still beatable? For example having 10K personal prestige should be one of those factors which overcome the typical barriers intended for standard, typical holders of the titles and ranks involved in the hypothetical situation (marriage, vassalage etc.).

However, most of them could and should be made moddable, because they may not make sense in all mods. That way those who absolutely hate them could also mod them out if they want.

Oh, absolutely.

Right, and I wanted to add one more thing:

The recent patch changes, including the controversial levy nerf, were intended to be anti-blobbing devices. But the primary blobbing device is matrimarriage + assassination, or any marriage + assassination.

Hence, nerfing courtier marriage dictation would be a sensible step, especially given as the current degree of control, i.e. absolute control, is unrealistic.

I suggest a chance of:

– flat out refusal;
– fleeing the court;
– confessing love for someone else, following their own father's wishes or their own designs instead, whatever;
– spontaneously taking the vows.

Also, characters should flee your court if you start assassinating their fathers, brothers etc., as long as they don't have a low opinion of them. In fact, if a reasonable person would be able to deduct that you're trying to enact an unherhanded succession scheme, so should your courtiers. The courtiers unwillingly put at the centre of your intrigue should flee.

Also, in some cases it's possible to land characters who are heirs of other people, e.g. you can give a one county and a ducal title to someone who is the heir of a superduke (e.g. a Rurikovich with 10 ducal titles), and he will remain your vassal upon inheriting from his father. IMHO the heir should think for himself, and the father should not be dumb, either. This should lead to some sort of event whereby the heir refuses to be landed by you or gives up inheritance in his father's realm or the father disinherits him.

The recent patch changes, including the controversial levy nerf, were intended to be anti-blobbing devices. But the primary blobbing device is matrimarriage + assassination, or any marriage + assassination.

Hence, nerfing courtier marriage dictation would be a sensible step, especially given as the current degree of control, i.e. absolute control, is unrealistic.

Yes, and I agree something should be tweaked there, but it would be even more effective to simply remove assassination. Plots with all their limitations are a better mechanic for it IMO, and I've houseruled the assassination button away.

This should lead to some sort of event whereby the heir refuses to be landed by you or gives up inheritance in his father's realm or the father disinherits him.

There's already a mechanic for the latter: crown authority. OTOH, inheritance should probably cause some vassalage ties to break. Currently, inheriting a higher tier title means you get that title's vassalage ties, while inheriting an equal or lower tier title means you keep the old ties. On equal there should IMO be a choice given to the character inheriting. The old liege should probably get a CB, though.

Yes, and I agree something should be tweaked there, but it would be even more effective to simply remove assassination. Plots with all their limitations are a better mechanic for it IMO, and I've houseruled the assassination button away.

Wow, I've done the same. As in, I would definitely hire assassins after a second or third attempt at me by a person outside my realm (who can't be imprisoned), and I might go after the Khagan or some other warmonger to trigger a succession problem and especially break his war, but in all my ~1100 hours I haven't ordered a single assassination yet.

There's already a mechanic for the latter: crown authority. OTOH, inheritance should probably cause some vassalage ties to break. Currently, inheriting a higher tier title means you get that title's vassalage ties, while inheriting an equal or lower tier title means you keep the old ties. On equal there should IMO be a choice given to the character inheriting. The old liege should probably get a CB, though.

Yeah, I know about CA, but I think it's too rigid. As in laws are made for typical situations, while atypical ones — 'hard cases' — require decisions. Lawyers even have a saying that 'hard cases make bad laws'. I'm specifically talking about the kind of situation when, say, a king of Poland invites the son of the Duke of Vladimir, Rostov and 15 Other Things, gives him 1 county and a ducal title and demands conversion and then boom, Poland doubles or triples its size when the Russian superduke dies. In short, his dad's 15 duchies are all equal in rank to his current OPM Polish duchy, which enables that kind of thing to happen. The problem here is not even realism (as you'd normally remain a vassal in such a situation, I guess) but gameplay/balance issues.

Pagan kings also could probably do similar things due to the pagans' propensity for superdukes. In some situations, inheriting a superduke like that could lead to the formation of an empire or at least a kingdom or two.