• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

privy

Private
26 Badges
Sep 22, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
I am currently playing as a family in the Hanseatic League and have recently lost an election. NBD. However, the new prince-mayor is confiscating some of my trading posts for no reason. I've read that if you have a certain trait above 10, you're able to refuse him. I refused him because of my high diplomacy but he just came back saying that he's going to steal these trading posts anyway. Why bother having him ask in the first place? Furthermore, I've also read that I can't steal them when I become leader. What the fuck? How do I stop this and why does Paradox think that having the AI arbitrarily take the stuff I build make this game fun?

Also, how do I wage war on another family within the same republic for a trading post? I'm no longer the prince-mayor but now I can't do shit. Why would anybody ever lose an election in the first place?

Is there a place on the vast tubes of the internet where I can learn what the hell is going on in republics?

Republicans really need the Gerrymandering DLC to consistently win elections. It looks like you don't have that one yet which is probably the root of your issues, as playing as a vassal patrician is much harder than playing as the president.

Republicans really need the Gerrymandering DLC to consistently win elections. It looks like you don't have that one yet which is probably the root of your issues, as playing as a vassal patrician is much harder than playing as the president.

I have no idea what you're trying to get at here.

Nonetheless, I have some more questions about Republican gameplay. I was a vassal of the Holy Roman Emperor and he has just lost a war in support of another claimant on his throne... and now I'm independent as a result of this war. How did this happen? I want to be under the aegis of the HRE. I was not in any faction. How can I rejoin the HRE?

I have no idea what you're trying to get at here.
Nonetheless, I have some more questions about Republican gameplay. I was a vassal of the Holy Roman Emperor and he has just lost a war in support of another claimant on his throne... and now I'm independent as a result of this war. How did this happen? I want to be under the aegis of the HRE. I was not in any faction. How can I rejoin the HRE?

He's being funny. You asked, rhetorically I think, "Why would anybody ever lose an election in the first place?" He suggested you get the (nonexistent) "Gerrymandering DLC" so that you could then control redistricting in your republic to ensure that you always get elected. If you're unfamiliar with the term, it's a word used to describe reconfiguring voting districts to increase the likelihood of a favorable result in the next elections, either for oneself or one's party, usually. It originated in the United States at the beginning of the 19th century, when a Boston-based newspaper ran an editorial cartoon ridiculing how ridiculous the shape of the Essex county voting district was: it was drawn to resemble a dragon, which the cartoonist dubbed "The Gerrymander", a portmanteau referring to the governor at the time, Governor Gerry, and a salamander, similar in appearance to the beast that was drawn on the outlines of the Essex district. Redistricting in the U.S., even for federal-level elections, is generally controlled by the state legislature and the governor.

I wish I could help you with your in-game problem but I'm afraid I have very little experience playing as a republic. I've only done it once or twice and I didn't stick it out for very long. Sorry.

Last edited:
I can help you.Don't play Republic if you cant hold on to the title. =) Or keep trying until you figure it out.Republics since 2.0.0 are not op no more finally are stable and players stop even playing them because they suck with republics haha now it actually takes skill. =)

John2Lionheart, I have to disagree. I was able to dominate as Venice no problem, no problem holding onto Doge, no problem beating both super-Francia and Byantium, without using any gamey tricks or even "clever" play.

If you have too many trading posts the AI gets free takeaway events on you if you aren't the Doge. I don't know the number, but it has to do with how far ahead of the other houses you are.

If you have too many trading posts the AI gets free takeaway events on you if you aren't the Doge. I don't know the number, but it has to do with how far ahead of the other houses you are.

AFAIR if any other patrician has 1/3 or less of your tradeposts, the Doge can take yours at will.

You can also do this if you're the doge and someone else have gotten really far ahead, or more likely, if someone have fallen far behind. Both situations are pretty unlikely though.

@privy: Winning elections is about how much "respect" your candidate has. Putting some money into the campaign fund will increase your respect. It's under the Republic tab. From there, you can also see the heads of the other families, which I suspect is where you right-click on to wage trade post wars.

You should put enough money into the election campaign to be ahead by, at the very least, 1000 respect. There's always 500 points distributed to random candidates, and the other 500 is for when you forget to check it for a half year or so. If one of the other candidates is 70+, start plotting to kill him, just to save money.

...am I the only one who starts constantly murdering my political rivals when my current Doge reaches the age of fifty? By the time elections occur, it's my chosen twenty-three-year-old genius heir against four toddlers.

...am I the only one who starts constantly murdering my political rivals when my current Doge reaches the age of fifty? By the time elections occur, it's my chosen twenty-three-year-old genius heir against four toddlers.

It should be mentioned that you do tax the other patrician families, so the weaker they are the less money you get out of them.

It should be mentioned that you do tax the other patrician families, so the weaker they are the less money you get out of them.

The only way killing most of them weakens the families is reducing their trade post cap, right? In any case, at the point I'm at income isn't much of a concern, and the tiny amount I get from vassal taxes even less so; the other families have four or five trade posts apiece, while I have twenty seven. Monthly income of around eighty gold and retinues larger than the entire military forces of most nations. Alls I'm doing at this point is waiting for claims on inland Italy - my goal is to form Italia as a republic, have a nice successor state to the Western Roman Empire since the HRE almost never forms in the 867 start date.

ANYWAY, while I'm posting in this topic, I've a question of my own about republic mechanics: a rival republic conquered some cities in a feudal neighbour, so I swooped in and conquered them from the rival republic. I then built trading posts in the counties, thinking that having a city + trading post in the county was all that was required to get the republic's unique coastal-province annexation CB. Apparently this isn't how it works, though: it seems that because I conquered the cities from another republic, and not the province's owner, I don't get the CB. Is this working as intended? Does anyone know the exact mechanics behind it?