• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wolfmaster1979

Wolfen
25 Badges
Jun 12, 2012
steamcommunity.com
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Cities in Motion
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
I will be starting my first Byzantine game today and I have a few questions and I hope someone can help me with it.

1. At some point I want to be able to switch my capital between Rome and Constantinople starting at the 867 state date. I would like to build a lot of Cities for the technology advancements in Rome and in Constantinople, but in a lot of my previous games (as other rulers) the Pope seems to always build churches. Does this always happen, or does the Pope build other buildings? If f this is true, then when is a good time to take Rome? Also, by taking Rome, does that affect the Pope in any way? I mean, will he still call crusades?

2. I plan to go after all the achievements that are related to the Roman Empire, has anyone had any problems with getting them? I mean, are any of them broken? I would hate to work towards them, when they do not work.

3. Any suggestions as to how to manage this great empire once I start pushing to reclaim the old imperial borders? In another thread, someone suggested that I should have only counts for the newly acquired land that I take (i.e. Northern Africa) and once it drifts into becoming de jure for the Empire, then create the duchy and give it to one of the counts there. Another suggestion was to only have counts and destroy all duchy level titles and go with elective succession. I would really love input from those who have restored the old imperial borders on this matter.

4. With Mending the Great Schism, how does it work? I mean, I know it disables the Pope and converts all Catholics to Orthodox and those who do not convert are considered a heretic. But how does it work with Catholic holy orders that are currently in your game and those who have not been introduced just yet? I know when the first Crusade comes into the game, there are 3 (I think) holy orders that are introduced and then later on (ca. 1100) there are another 2 Holy Orders that Catholic Rulers can use. Let’s say that the first crusade happens in 925 and the 3 Holy Orders are introduced and then in 950 I Mend the Great Schism, which results in disabling the Pope. What happens with those Holy Orders and what will have with the Holy Orders that have not been introduced?

5. Any other tips, tricks or other insight/Information?

Thank you in advance and Merry Christmas!! :cool:

I will be starting my first Byzantine game today and I have a few questions and I hope someone can help me with it.

1. At some point I want to be able to switch my capital between Rome and Constantinople starting at the 867 state date. I would like to build a lot of Cities for the technology advancements in Rome and in Constantinople, but in a lot of my previous games (as other rulers) the Pope seems to always build churches. Does this always happen, or does the Pope build other buildings? If f this is true, then when is a good time to take Rome? Also, by taking Rome, does that affect the Pope in any way? I mean, will he still call crusades?

He will always build churches and only churches. Take Rome ASAP, it will only effect him if he becomes unlanded and no one grants him land. He must be landed to call crusades.

2. I plan to go after all the achievements that are related to the Roman Empire, has anyone had any problems with getting them? I mean, are any of them broken? I would hate to work towards them, when they do not work.

I have got them all, the only thing is that for SPQR and the other one, you must hold every baron tier and above in the areas. Offer vasalization to the holy order of your faith, and fight the Catholic ones (they wont switch after mending the schism).

3. Any suggestions as to how to manage this great empire once I start pushing to reclaim the old imperial borders? In another thread, someone suggested that I should have only counts for the newly acquired land that I take (i.e. Northern Africa) and once it drifts into becoming de jure for the Empire, then create the duchy and give it to one of the counts there. Another suggestion was to only have counts and destroy all duchy level titles and go with elective succession. I would really love input from those who have restored the old imperial borders on this matter.

Once you have restored the empire and you get Augustus trait, it should be fairly easy to go elective. Try and always breed geniuses several family members married the them, educate them yourself, aiming for green traits and grey eminence. You should never have any factions after that.

4. With Mending the Great Schism, how does it work? I mean, I know it disables the Pope and converts all Catholics to Orthodox and those who do not convert are considered a heretic. But how does it work with Catholic holy orders that are currently in your game and those who have not been introduced just yet? I know when the first Crusade comes into the game, there are 3 (I think) holy orders that are introduced and then later on (ca. 1100) there are another 2 Holy Orders that Catholic Rulers can use. Let’s say that the first crusade happens in 925 and the 3 Holy Orders are introduced and then in 950 I Mend the Great Schism, which results in disabling the Pope. What happens with those Holy Orders and what will have with the Holy Orders that have not been introduced?

It does not disable the pope, for game play purposes there must always be a pope or the game will not work. The holy orders and the pope stay catholic, although the pope may be unlanded.

Cataphracts own. Once you are able to get an entire flank of Cataphracts, do so. They can easily take on armies twice their size, especially when led by a greek with a good trait (cavalry being an obvious one).

Achievements fired for me up to S.P.Q.R., there shouldn't be a problem here.
Pope usually builds churches indeed, the faster you can get Rome, the better your chances of building cities are.
as for realm management, I castrated/blinded everyone and kept crushing revolts even on the one long living ruler I had (when you still have 40% indie faction after 40 years reign, you know you do the evil tyrant thingy right :D ). Technically, there is far more effective and less troublesome ways. Avoid creating despot vassals, obviously.
Last tip, keep a keen eye on whenever someone on the map is unable to pay his mercs and gets invaded. You will want to vassalize merc companies if you have the chance to, 30.000 vassalized mercs were basically the Jolly Joker in my sleeve whenever a revolt triggered untimely.

edit: ninja'd. And yes, obviously cataphracts rock. I have beaten odds 1:4, and the Mamluks part of the enemy army, so they had a good amount of horse archers too.

Pope usually builds churches indeed, the faster you can get Rome, the better your chances of building cities are.
How can I get a claim on Rome in a quick method? Are there any other methods besides "fabercate claim"?

Avoid creating despot vassals, obviously.
This is going to sound silly, but how do you create a despot vassal? I have no clue and I am sure I have done it before, but I never truthfully paid attention to it. If I know how to create one, than I can avoid it in the future.

Last tip, keep a keen eye on whenever someone on the map is unable to pay his mercs and gets invaded. You will want to vassalize merc companies if you have the chance to, 30.000 vassalized mercs were basically the Jolly Joker in my sleeve whenever a revolt triggered untimely.

How do you go about vassalizing mercs? I have never done that in any of my games.

Fabricate claim is your only bet, afaik. A "despot" is just the Greek cultural term for a king. You are advised not to create king level vassals, because these are just too powerful. If they join a faction, their contribution might be enough to tip the balance.

Are cataphracts the only good retinues around?
They are probably the best, but not the only good ones. There was a thread detailing that English Longbowmen for example make for extremely powerful troops because of the huge bonuses they get in combat.

Do you have DLC Legacy of Rome ?!?!

Just want to say that in a 2.0(SoA patch) game I've seen the Pope build nothing but castles, even still I see him build castle sometimes.

I agree. I was responding to the contention that you need LoR to play Christian Orthodox characters, however, which is wrong.

OK, "play as Orthodox Christians with unique mechanics". That should nail it.

You can establish Despots, but I would suggest waiting till the mongols are around; why? By then almost all of the Empire should be back in your hands and a good amount of it made dejure, and with despots you get one huge army instead of several dukes mini-armies which is useful since place like Italy and Greece have like 12-13 duchies each. By the way I suggest you make despot members of your family that are distant enough not to have any claims on you, so you get the +5 from being family bonus and since all your despots are allied they can call each in to obliterate any rebellion. The worst that can happen once you have the Augustus trait is that 1 despot inherits another 1, but that's rare enough that you won't have to worry about it.