• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just assumed they were of a different religion, since fabricating claims for almost half of Ireland would take forever. I think one of the Irish counties start out as Norse ruled by a Norse ruler. If he conquered a neighbouring county and converted religion it's possible the Irish liberation was led by a Norse religion Irishman.

I find it interesting that things that happen under the control of the AI, in a single-player game, are now referred to by some as "cheats" and "exploits".

This happened to me in my game with ireland. The "liberator" event army. Yeah, around 8k, but in my game they were about 6k if i remember... But, cmon cuh! As a 3 counties duchy i could easily field a 10k army with mercs + own troops and i still had some powerful allies to call.

Piece of cake.

I just assumed they were of a different religion, since fabricating claims for almost half of Ireland would take forever. I think one of the Irish counties start out as Norse ruled by a Norse ruler. If he conquered a neighbouring county and converted religion it's possible the Irish liberation was led by a Norse religion Irishman.

Its not the norse man. Its an event that fires when the norse take 3 or 4 countys on ireland. A "liberator" character appears to fight the norse, and it is usually sucefull in kicking the them out of the island, since he has a much larger army, at least for the time that others norse invasion event characters appear. But this ones arent that strong really, they usually field just 1,5k~2k and gives you 400 gold when you imprison/banish them... so yeah, completely manageable.

Sincerely, i seriously doubt that this event irish character could manage to reunite all of ireland under his banner. He is much more hostile to the norse and usually dont fight the other irish counts/dukes. And even if he do it, would take a huge lack of action of the player to not do something about it in time that he could become a real threat.

The game has changed. Yes. It's now more mercs and retinues (and allies) than levies. But it was never balanced for us being able to choose any backwater county as a starting point and have it granted that we will cover the map with our colour... The demand (stated a few times above) to be able to survive every time whatever comes our way reminds me of the old good Romance of the Three Kingdoms game (whichever installation of the many) where it was almost clear, that if you wanted to "win", you had to choose from very, very few starting points, as opposed to a quite long list of possibilities. And so it is in CK2. If you start as a complete underdog you will need not only all your skill and experience, but also a lot of luck to get anywhere. If a sharp eye of a random adventurer falls upon your poor lands it is only because he is not a complete arse! Why should he try to break his teeth on Constantinople's walls to carve a bit of fortune for himself and his adventurous buddies if he can have YOU any way he wants?

The game has changed. Yes. It's now more mercs and retinues (and allies) than levies. But it was never balanced for us being able to choose any backwater county as a starting point and have it granted that we will cover the map with our colour...
It's much easier now, though.

The demand (stated a few times above) to be able to survive every time whatever comes our way reminds me of the old good Romance of the Three Kingdoms game (whichever installation of the many) where it was almost clear, that if you wanted to "win", you had to choose from very, very few starting points, as opposed to a quite long list of possibilities. And so it is in CK2.

You can play any character, as long as it's Cao Cao or Zhuge Liang...

I sort of hate all the Sorcery armies that CK2 has. At least Aragorn's came with a backstory, unlike Peasant Citizen-1253272 and Random Norman Adventurer-4635456.

You can play any character, as long as it's Cao Cao or Zhuge Liang...

I sort of hate all the Sorcery armies that CK2 has. At least Aragorn's came with a backstory, unlike Peasant Citizen-1253272 and Random Norman Adventurer-4635456.

At the very least, there should be buildup.

"My lord, I have heard rumors of a peasant gathering the rabble to him in your provinces along the border. What should we do?"