• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

NewbieOne

Field Marshal
31 Badges
Dec 4, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Sengoku
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
Basically, Fatimids and Ayyubids are based around k_Egypt. That's the kingdom-tier title the Caliph/Sultan holds with which he holds all those emirs as vassals.

A strong European feudal ruler can disestablish Egypt within one long reign. Just get to 50%, usurp k_Egypt. Even if someone eventually usurps/forms it back (e.g. succession, losing a holy war or two), the emirs outside Egypt won't fall back into vassalage. The blob is over.

For a republic, this is impossible. Fatties reduced to a small patch of land are still around, still hold Mamluks as vassals. A crippled de iure Rum would still have Gilman as vassals. This is not bad from the POV of their defence, but it's worse when they can use the merc stack (plus like 2-3K levies) to fall upon OPM's such as rebel dukes/counts or recent independents. And blob back to size.

Please make it possible for republics at least to destroy someone else's kingdom/empire title if they can't usurp it for themselves.

Please make it possible for republics at least to destroy someone else's kingdom/empire title if they can't usurp it for themselves.

I dunno, I understand your frustration, but I think it's part of the charm/challenge of playing a republic; like being unable to have matrilineal marriages. In this case they lack the legitimacy to be able to usurp regal titles so you have to put up with the guerrilla Sultan of Egypt fighting on until someone finally crushes him utterly. It's annoying, yes, but then republics get powerful tools that feudal lords can only salivate over, like the coastal CB; it's only fair that they have some glaring weaknesses to compensate.

I agree with aprogressivist, these are limitations to balance out numerous republican bonus.
Actually, I think the balance tilt the other way overall. Between huge retinues, insane amount of cash for mercenaries, stable realms and super inheritance law, republics are monsters once you are established.
Republics only need good enough CBs to dominate world if you are strong enough already; consider converting to say Altaic for invasion CBs.