• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

highsis

Field Marshal
29 Badges
Jan 9, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
With 2.02, AI re-raises their troops when their stack is smaller than their reserve. This makes empire level civil war nigh impossible and takes as long as 10~15 years with constant micro-managing. When 20~30 counties revolt, I win every battle but they keep raising troops and siege provinces because 2.02's AI also avoids battles more than before.

This is a serious pain in the ass. I think levy should replenish slower or not at all during civil-war phase, since trades and administrative efficiency is out of question during civil wars.

are you sure it's not the opposite? with war comes even more opportunity to trade and profit you know. and with the promise of plunder, there will always be a few more men willing to bear arms.

that said, civil war is more about capturing the capitals of the primary participants than destroying their armies more than ever with this change though.

are you sure it's not the opposite? with war comes even more opportunity to trade and profit you know. and with the promise of plunder, there will always be a few more men willing to bear arms.

that said, civil war is more about capturing the capitals of the primary participants than destroying their armies more than ever with this change though.

Yeah, I earn bunch of cash by razing trade posts of those rebellious republics vassal, ransoming prisoner, raiding and other stuffs. I always wonder should war be a lot more costly. The new levies nerf make war even cheaper since either side will have less troop, thus less maintenance cost. I prefer the old system with bigger army, higher cost, longer recover times.

I agree with the OP about one thing, although a thing which the OP didn't mention in express terms, so maybe I'm overinterpreting here. Basically, I believe AI behaviour in war shouldn't look too obviously technical and artificial.

I remember having an issue with the AI's constant updating of marching orders back and forth to the effect of playing cat and mouse with the human player's armies, jumping up and down, left and right etc. Realistic? Perhaps. At least for some commanders (though not all in the middle ages). They shouldn't just stand there and wait to be slaughtered, but there are ways to deal with that: propose white peace, capitulate to avoid losing men needlessly, negotiate deals, in fact an event could pop up with a randomly generated chance to replace the need for clicking so much ('The enemy commander evades you. Do you (...)').

Here, the behaviour the OP describes, which is vaguely similar to how the AI behaved in 1.04 ages ago, looks like zerging. Rinse-and-repeat reraising doesn't really look like mediaeval or any other human warfare to me really, except maybe the modern times.

Instead, perhaps levies should replenish right to the battlefield like mercs, orders and retinues, at various rates dictated by various factors, some of them elective trade-offs (e.g. costing more than it's really worth if you have cash to burn).

I agree with the OP about one thing, although a thing which the OP didn't mention in express terms, so maybe I'm overinterpreting here. Basically, I believe AI behaviour in war shouldn't look too obviously technical and artificial.

I remember having an issue with the AI's constant updating of marching orders back and forth to the effect of playing cat and mouse with the human player's armies, jumping up and down, left and right etc. Realistic? Perhaps. At least for some commanders (though not all in the middle ages). They shouldn't just stand there and wait to be slaughtered, but there are ways to deal with that: propose white peace, capitulate to avoid losing men needlessly, negotiate deals, in fact an event could pop up with a randomly generated chance to replace the need for clicking so much ('The enemy commander evades you. Do you (...)').

Here, the behaviour the OP describes, which is vaguely similar to how the AI behaved in 1.04 ages ago, looks like zerging. Rinse-and-repeat reraising doesn't really look like mediaeval or any other human warfare to me really, except maybe the modern times.

Instead, perhaps levies should replenish right to the battlefield like mercs, orders and retinues, at various rates dictated by various factors, some of them elective trade-offs (e.g. costing more than it's really worth if you have cash to burn).

I completely agree. Levy reinforcement to battlefield is a great idea.