Best Tutorial Serie/Let's Play/Guide to learn EU4 (for advanced CK2 player) ?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coco1999

Recruit
2 Badges
Dec 23, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hey all,

I'm quite familiar with CK2 (around 250 hours played), and I have just bought EU4.

When I have tried to start a game, I felt a bit overwhelmed (I was thinking it would be easy since I knew CK2, silly me :) )

Could someone advise on good tutorials/LPs/guides/manuals to learn the game (I mean: "learning game strategies and game objectives", not practical stuff like understanding the interface or else).

Thanks !

Quill18 on youtube has both educational Let's Play series as well as a beginners guide to EU4
Quill is decidedly bad at the game, but he's a decent commentator.

Arumba is alright, and has been getting progressively better, although his CK2 skills are much higher than his EU4. He does well in explaining what he's doing, why, and why it worked or didn't work after the fact.

Maddjinn is pretty good, and he's a great commentator, but he generally only does LPs of low tech nations.

Marbozir is also a good commentator and plays a wide variety of nations.

Kailvin is a pretty good player, but his commentary style can be hit or miss.

Shenryyr is easily the best EU4 player on Youtube, but his language can get quite salty and he can occasionally rage a bit.

My main advice would be pick a nation, think of an overal goal and go for it. As you go you will notice new opportunities and things that hold you back, then for a next game you can start factoring these things in.

For example you can start a colonial empire as Castille and just set the goal of controlling a certain amount of land in South America. Or you can play as Austria and set as a goal to unite the HRE. As you go by you will notice that things are stopping you from achieving these goals and you can start to look into these things in a structured way and with a goal. This way rather than randomly reading or looking at things, you will start learning with a purpose. At least for me that makes it a lot easier to understand it.

Shenryr is the best EU player on youtube, but u should probably watch one os Quill18-s tutorial videos

I think Arumba made a short video for every part of the tutorial aswell as other important parts of the game, but imo they should only be watched if there is something specific you're wondering about, also the use of the wiki is helpful.

A little self-advertisement doesn't hurt: I have an Ottomans LP going (all mechanics sans exploration, since that's changing with exp. anyway).

Sinked over 600 hours into EU4 before starting on LPs, as I did with Civilization V. I might not be known in EU4 circles, but I'm pretty respected in Civ5.

http://www.youtube.com/biborkiraly

EDIT: Shen (Shenplays) is a native English speaker, has a play style with lots of personal flavour (decisions, wars etc.) but does tend to rage on mechanics/events/things he doesn't understand. This rage can go on for a long, long time, across episodes, which might become frustrating to players who happen to know why its happening. Definitely one of the top players on YT in general. I watch his vids on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your answers !

I will actually follow Lakedaimon suggestion, and start a first game with a main goal in mind.

And will also check these youtube channels.

Cheers !