• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm no general, but that sounds like a reasonable course of action.

EDIT: Any operations you are planning that involve panzers should be carried out before spring, as Russia's infamous "rasputitsa" will put a wrench in operations.

I'm no general, but that sounds like a reasonable course of action.

EDIT: Any operations you are planning that involve panzers should be carried out before spring, as Russia's infamous "rasputitsa" will put a wrench in operations.

That is exactly the kind of problem I am worried about. At the moment, it's cold. There is half a meter of snow and they need to light fires under their tanks' engines to get em started.
However, once thaw sets in everybody drowns in mud.
And by the time that crap is over the Russians have mobilised 50 new divisions and we'r back at square 1.
I have, a long time ago and with a much larger army, actually just brute-forced my way through the crippling winter towards Moscow. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. I'm trying to be just a tad smarter than that this time around :)

Make it interesting (a challenge), take a pause and rest.

You mean as in give the Russians a few months to rebuild? That won't save them, I destroyed too many formations already. They would need like 2 years to rebuild, and I'm certainly not gonna give them that much time. Besides, I have more to do than beat the Reds :p

Last edited:
Southern strategy

I vote we Naval Invade Arkhangelsk or Vladivostok, to get the Navy involved.

The Mittelmeerflotte has been moved to the Black Sea to aid in the capture of the Crimea and I intend to turn the Bismarck's guns on Leningrad when the time comes. Other than that, I think the navy has a very limited influence on this campaign, the eastern front is "just an annoyance in between the naval campaigns". but a very big one, at that :p

That can be part of the northern operation

Hmm, shelling Archangelsk could be done, if the fleet doesn't trip over all the smashed British ships off the Norwegian coast. I intend to find out what Stalin think of 406mm shells raining down on Leningrad once we get there. Tht ought to get his attention.

It's been a busy time again, hence the delay. And now with the current Paradox Steam sale yielding me VickyII and me still being busy with college, there's no telling when the next update comes. So please enjoy what you can get for the moment. Additionally, Imgur starts screwing me over in the middle of writing this so I had to resort to Photobucket, no clue how that'll turn out.

Hochseeflotte
The German Battlefleet of the Second World War

LlkOgpk.jpg

German soldiers preparing to storm the Narva bridgehead and head for Leningrad

January 8th, 1942

Conclusion of OKW strategic discussion regarding the war against the Soviet Union.
After lenghty discussions and arguments amongst the OKW, it has been concluded that several of the proposed offensives are probably required to bring the Soviet Union down. Because we lack the number of panzer-divisions to execute all 3 planned operations simultaniously, Operation Taifun will be postponed for the moment, and only Nordlicht and the Kursk-Kharkov strategic offensive will be launched. The Oberkommando der Ostfront re-organised it's order of battle accordingly.

The 2. Panzerarmee, consisting of the 4. and 5. Panzerkorps and 2 infantry corps, recently arrived to the Eastern front. This force will be cannibalised and deployed to bolster various other Panzer forces along the front to ensure we have enough thrusting power in our offensives. whilst everyone can stay within range of their superiours. After all, an Armee commander cannot lead both a corps near Leningrad and one near Kursk at the same time.

- The 4. Panzerkorps is reassigned to the 1. Panzerarmee to bolster the offensive power of the 1. Panzerkorps and 1. SS Panzerkorps in their offensive towards Leningrad. These troops are currently positioned 100km north of Smolensk and have to drive all the way to Lake Ladoga to envelop Soviet forces around Leningrad, so they need additional offensive power. Once the last Soviet pocket behind the lines in Heeresgruppe Nord's sector have been dealt with, some 2 infantry corps worth of troops will be freed up for this operation as well, giving us enough divisions to launch Operation Nordlicht.

However, this could take some time as Stukageschwader bombarding the encircled Soviet forces report an estimated 150.000 Soviet soldiers in the Kessel.

- the 5. Panzerkorps and 1 of the infantry corps will head into the Ukraine to support the 3. Panzerkorps' southern thrust against Kursk and Kharkov. the other infantry corps is directed towards the 2. Panzerkorps and will assist the northern thrust. All of this requries a little re-arranging of the Order of Battle to get most forces within radio contact again, but we are a flexibel army so that is no problem. individual Corps will be kept intact and moved between armies as one unit, to maintain unit cohesion as much as possible.

The start of the offensives

Kursk-Kharkov
As artillery guns open fire on Soviet positions in the Ukraine and northern Russia, the marines of the 1. Marine-Sturmkorps fight to secure both ends of the strait of Kerch. The 5 infantry divisions of the 15th Corps are on their way to support them, breaching Soviet defences on the north entrance of the Crimea with overwhelming force. Soviet formations turn tail and run south towards Sevastopol as 50.000 infantrymen with heavy artillery and anti-tank guns overrun their positions. After a fierce and protracted battle at Simfernopol, the Red Army infantry pull back in an orderly fashion to the outskirts of Sevastopol. Cracking this nut could prove quite tough indeed.
What is worse, it seems as if soviet commanders expected an offensive in the Ukraine. Resistance is heavy and Soviet counterattacks plentyful. However, air and ground support is underway, so they will most likely be broken soon.

HoI3_19_zps537f230a.png

The battle of Simfernopol was lengthy and bloody, but every Red Army unit broken here is one less defender of the fortress-city of Sevastopol at least.

The Luftwaffe dispatches additional Messerschmitts to forward bases in the Ukraine and tactical bomber and close air support wings step up their attacks against the Crimea. After the Luftwaffe reports a massive concentration of Soviet divisions in and around Sevastopol, the 8th Infantry corps is pulled away from the Kursk-Kharkov strategic reserve and ordered to the Crimea. We need a lot more troops to capture Sevastopol than initially estimated. The offensive itself however is underway nicely. the 3. Panzerkorps, supported by Slovakian Stuka dive-bombers has broken through the initial Soviet lines and pushes up towards Stalino, a city of vital importance to cover the flank of the troops striking at Kharkov from the south.

Nordlicht

After days of heavy bombardment, breaking enemy morale and starving their forces of supplies, over 200.000 German infantrymen assault the final bastion of the encircled Soviet soldiers near Vitebysk. This is the aforementioned final pocket that needs to be broken before sufficient infantry formations are available for Operation Nordlicht. Similar to the other pockets, despite a lack of supplies, flank protection or hope of relief, Soviet troops fight until the end, putting up fierce resistance every step of the way.

HoI3_20_zpsa9a292d2.png

The destruction of this massive pocket has taken some time, but it is vital we break these forces, it will make our future offensives that much easier

5 days of heavy fighting and 1600 German and 3500 Soviet lives further, the encircled divisions surrender. The Red Army has lost another 150.000 men.

Other fronts across the globe, January 8th, 1942.
The Meditteranean

The Afrikakorps, consisting of the 5. Panzer-division and 13. Motorised infantry division, has almost reached it's new base in Tripoli. From here it will likely be moved further west, probably to Algiers. It's job is now to be prepared to counter a possible Allied invasion of Morroco. Various Italian infantry, militia and light armour divisions are moving west as well. Oberkommando der Westfront, responsible for this theatre, has requested their assistance in bolstering defences in Vichy-controlled Morrocan ports.
A number of Italian infantry divisions are assigned to occupied Iraq and Palestine to maintain order here and resist a potential Allied counter-offensive via Kuwait. If this theory were to become reality, it is their job to delay the enemy and by time for the Afrikakorps and Italian reinforcements to reach the scene.
Italian tanks have advanced along the Egyptian Red Sea coast as far south as the terrain will allow them. Unfortunatly, they are now blocked by impassable territory and thus cannot advance to liberate Ethiopia. Still, if the British decide to counterattack in this sector, troops are present to resist.
Gibraltar is still held by over half a dozen Italian divisions, including motorised infantry and mountaineers. Additionally, Regia Marina battleships patrol the strait between Spain, Morocco and Algeria. That front is firmly locked down.

All in all, the Axis are firmly in control of North Africa and have the Meditteranean securely locked down. No Allied forces can penetrate Fortress Europe from this angle. Churchill has grown rather quiet in his boasting of attacking the "soft underbelly of Europe".

The Far East
The Imperial Japanese Army and Navy continue their offensive operations in the South Pacific. Hongkong has quickly fallen to overwhelming Japanese attack and the same goes for the French colony of Zhangjiang.
Siamese, Bhutanese and Nepalese infantry clash on the Siamese-Burmese border, so far with limited result for either side.
Meanwhile, an entrie corps of Japanese infantry and various Imperial Marine divisions have stormed across the Southern Siamese border into Malaya, supported by an amphibious landing on the Malayan coast. The obvious objective here is to capture Singapore from it's much weaker defended landside approach. British resistance in the area appears minimal.

HoI3_18_zpsba0c34b5.png

The situation in the Far Eastern theatre, as can be clearly seen, Japan is on the offensive everywhere.

1 Imperial Marine division has landed in the port city of Oosthaven, on the Southern tip of Sumatra. Another marine division has landed at Balikpapan, the easternmost Dutch port on Borneo, the largest Island in the East Indies, recognizble by the fact that it's the only Island shared by the Netherlands and Great Britain.
The only city of importance on the Island east of Borneo, the city of Makassar, has been taken by Japan as well. The marines who performed this task have already departed to their next assignment.
In the Pacific, Japan has taken Guam from the United States, but have lost Mili for it. Other than that, no US involvement in the war detectable at this time. It is expected this will change soon, however.
Lastly, around 7 Imperial divisions have landed on the large northern Island of the Phillipines. Supported by the Imperial Japanese Airforce, they are currently exploring the area and driving a few Philipino divisions back north.
In the Chinese port city of Qingdao, a large gathering of Japanese infantry and marines, as well as transport flotillas, is spotted. Perhaps another wave of invasions is being prepared at the moment. Time will tell, since the Japanese High Command refuses to share their war strategy over longrange communication with us.

Last edited:
I hope I'm not too late to the party. Read a few initial updates and enjoy them greatly. Keep up the good work.

Axis is doing great! And the Ostfront will collapse soon I guess

I hope I'm not too late to the party. Read a few initial updates and enjoy them greatly. Keep up the good work.

Of course not, welcome! If I have anything to say about it, this is far from over. Glad you like the first part, hope you enjoy the rest too.

Axis is doing great! And the Ostfront will collapse soon I guess

Yes my allies are doing their jobs quite properly so far. It's either stalemate or overwhelming Axis victory on all fronts at the moment, so that is nice.
And yes, that's what I hope as well. The recently launched series of offensives have exactly that as goal, and it already looks like the Red Army is running low on formations to man the front. The only reason 'm not simply pushing forward is the fear it'll exhaust my troops, outrun my supply lines or let small units infiltrate my front. But the fearsome Singkiangese and Mongol infantry has arrived on the front, so you never know.

Hochseeflotte
The German Battlefleet of the Second World War

February 1942 dawns to the sound of heavy shellfire across the Eastern Front. The German army continues it's offensive operations in all sectors of the theatre. The first Soviet troops to feel this heat are the 62.000 men, 8 divisions, dug in at the city of Yalta, on the outskirts of Sevastopol. Their positions are assaulted by 8th and 15th corps, 10 divisions strong. With the Mittelmeerflotte blockading the Sevastopol port, there is no hope of escape for the Soviet Soviets. Unfortunatly, supplies in the sector are short, so the assault has to be postponed. Due to the number of Soviet divisions in the city, we do not want to risk pulling units out of the Crimea to ease the supplylines, they might attempt to break out.

In the Ukraine, lead elements of the 3. Panzerkorps have reached the outskirts of Kharkov, but are prevented from entering the city by heavy Soviet resistance. The Red Army has commited an entire army to the defence of the city. This is not surprising, considering the fact that this assault is the first step in creating a 300km by 350km pocket around a large number of Soviet forces in the Ukraine. Therefore, instead of directly assaulting the city, the panzerkorps will pass around it's eastern outskirts and continue north towards Kursk. There, they will meet the northern pincer of the 2. Panzerkorps and close the pocket.

HoI3_23_zpsa9ebdad0.png

The offensive reaches the outskirts of Kharkov

Whilst the Kursk-Kharkov Strategic Offensive has picked up the pace and is looking very promising indeed, the same cannot be said of Operation Nordlicht. The Panzerkorps situated north of Vityebsk are having a hard time breaking through the enemy lines and the infantry forces are still repositioning. Consequently, the army's supply train is in chaos as well, casing further delays.

By February 21st, German tanks roll through the town of Phrokorovka, southeast of the city of Kursk, unopposed. to the north of Kursk, their comrades are on the move as well. Perhaps this pocket can be closed in about a week, sealing the fate of many Soviet divisions in the Ukraine. Infantry corps entrenched on the western edge of the large pocket start offensive operations aimed at reducing it's size. The southern flank is being covered by dozens of Allied divisions, which has the unfortunate side-effect of ruining German supply lines in the Ukraine even more. If only they would attack the enemy, that would be wonderful.

HoI3_24_zps835710c4.png

2 weeks later, the pocket is almost closed. As you can see, Kharkov has been bypassed for the moment, in favour of closing the pocket

By late February, the supply situation in the Crimea has been improved sufficiently to allow an offensive against Yalta. Supported by the Mittelmeerflotte's heavy guns, 100.000 infantrymen will attempt to drive the 60.000 Soviet soldiers back into the Sevastopol citadel. Hopefully we can break their formations in Yalta to such degreee that they wil not have time to prepare a prolonged defence of the citadel itself. Digging them out of the Sevastopol fortresses would be a lengthy and bloody affair indeed.

Whilst the offensive in the Ukraine has almost closed the massive pocket already, the tanks spearheading Nordlicht still have not left their starting positions. Although Soviet resistance in the front lines seems to be crumbling, the panzer-divisions are yet unable to push through and get the operation moving. Additional air support has been assigned to the region in an attempt to finally break enemy resistance. Within days, this has the desired effect and Operation Nordlicht gets underway at last.

On March 2nd, during heavy fighting on the edges of the Kursk-Kharkov kessel, an extatic telegram from the Japanese amassador arrives, with a map:

"We invaded Sydney-stop. Large parts of the city taken-stop. Heavy hand to hand fighting in the town hall-stop. Expect victory in a day-stop. Chirstchurch-New Zealand also taken-end message"

HoI3_26_zps57c7e6f3.png

Later that day, a call from the German ambassador in Tokyo puts things in perspective. The Japanese message was correct, but does not paint the situation accuratly. Although Australia and New Zealand are indeed under a lot of Japanese pressure, at the same time the US Marine Corps has already seized 3 Japanese islands in the Pacific and a bold division of the British Royal Marine Corps has invaded the small chain of islands on the southern edge of Japan proper. The situation is therefore a lot less rosey than we thought initially.

On March 4th, the first phase of the Siege of Sevastopol ends with the fall of Yalta. Weeks of heavy fighting have left the area devastated and many thousands of soldiers from either side lay dead, but the Soviet forward trench lines around Sevastopol have been taken. An estimated 60.000 Soviet soldiers now prepare to defend the Soviet Black Sea Fleet base to the death.

HoI3_27_zps4a8c3e71.png

And that was only the outer defences in the Simfernopol fields. I dread to think of what will happen when we assault the city and it's fortifications directly.

All around the now enclosed Kursk-Kharkov pocket, bloody battles are waged as Soviet divisions attempt to break the encirclement. One report of a 2.000 casualty battle after another flood in, it is clear the enemy will do everything they can to save these troops. We are still unsure exactly how many troops have been surrounded, but considering the size of the pocket, it must be a significant number.

By mid March, Soviet resistance to operation Nordlicht finally lessens and the 1. and 4. Panzerkorps breach the lines and start their march north, towards Lake Ladoga. The outer shell has been cracked, and their commanders believe the worst part of the operation is over.

By the third week of March, the outer defences of Sevastopol have been breached and the battle has moved to the suburbs of the city. Every building has been turned into a fortress, every street is barricaded and our troops have to fight for every meter of land they capture. Yet, slowly but steadily, the defenders are pushed back towards the harbor. Even in this desperate position, the enemy put up fierce resistance, regardless of the hopelessness of their situation.

HoI3_30_zpsb73a4995.png

The bloody battle of Sevastopol, regardless of the hopelessness of their situation, the Soviet soldiers fight to the end

SUMMARY
Well, it is evident that Kursk-Kharkov is a succes. We have surrounded a good number of enemy forces. Unfortunatly more divisions got away than was hoped, but it looks like we still trapped a very decent amount.
The same cannot yet be said of Nordlicht, getting those tanks moving has been brutal. But they finally broke through, and now that the outer shell is broken, it looks like the race to Lake Ladoga is on. About bloody time I say.
Japan is doing well, I just hope they can keep the Americans busy for a while longer.

Again, a Messenger interrupts the Oberkommando des Heeres with news from our allies.Several British marine divisions have landed in Rabat, Morroco. Italian divisions are en route from Algeria to confront the invadors and an Italian motorised infantry division is actually assaulting the beachhead from behind, by amphibious assault.

Last edited:
it is still a good result... yeah, you could have trapped more troops, but, the blow was quite heavy though

it is still a good result... yeah, you could have trapped more troops, but, the blow was quite heavy though

Exactly, and some 65.000 Soviets were taken out in Sevastopol, that make up for it.

How's SU doing in soldiers and manpower? Would capturing Moscow conclude your campaign against Soviets or must you deal more blows to their numbers?

How's SU doing in soldiers and manpower? Would capturing Moscow conclude your campaign against Soviets or must you deal more blows to their numbers?

Well, there is no way I'm bleeding them white. The Soviets get a 3500 manpower boost when they are losing (I think 15% surrender progress). As long as they have industry and resources, they can keep replacing losses. But in soldiers on the field, well let's just say I don't think they can recover from the blows they already took, and now with Kursk-Kharkov progressing nicely, they are screwed. They simply won't have the time needed for those replacements to get into action. Surrender % wise, at the moment I feel I have to execute all 3 proposed operations, and even then it's not certain. I would rather not distract my Japanese allies from their war in the Pacific, but as a final blow I might call them in at the end. You know, just to seal the deal completely. Maybe give Japan the Russian pacific coast for the strategic effect and hope they can hold against the Americans for a while longer.

I've taken a quick look for you: the Soviet Union has 5.000 manpower in reserve. Correct, that's 5 times more than what I have. But with only 250 IC, of which 200 available for production, and armoured and mechanised divisions in training, there is absolutely no way they will ever plug the gaps I smashed in their lines.
Also, their officer ratio has fallen to 82%, that also explains a lot. The AI is working on that right now, but that means practically a stop to research for the moment. They have 475 brigades left, most of which in the European theatre, though the Manchukuan border is still properly manned as well.

----------------------

Also, I remember someone asking about admiral Raeder a long time ago. He is now a rank 8 admiral with an 80% positioning bonus. So yes, that 22% postioning bonus is more than nullified.

Also, as a little treat I'll leave this here.

Grüne Teufel
New toys, muhahaha. Next objective: check if my transport wings can actually carry them...
One day, when Seelöwe is planned out, we shall darken the London skies with Grüne Teufel
8BiGLmK.png

And lastly, a few statistics:
Minimal distance from our frontline to:
Leningrad - 90 km.
Moscow - 275 km.
Rostov na Don - 130 km.
Stalingrad - 500 km.

Last edited:
I'd like to present something to ease your life, which I should've done a long time ago. I just merged the first and second post of this AAR, and used the second post for a Table of Contents instead. So, if you'r ever worried you missed a post, look there. Chapters themselves still don't have titles, but I tried to make sure the title matches the chapter's content.