• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Stathalter of Kiel, Josef de Spinoza, will support Von Mannerheim in his bid for the Chancellorship. God be with you, Mannerheim.
Josef de Spinoza, Statthalter of Kiel

To make clear my earlier statement, I formally submit my candidacy.

~Florentin Willem Graf von Wächtersbach, Stadtholder von Cassel

Maximillian von Richtofen backs Fredrick Carile of the Imperialists.
Thank you, good sir. I know that my position with the people will allow the Imperialists a chance to grow, and I extend an offer that, should I be nominated and win, a place in the cabinet for Herr Gotha, a worthy man, for he shows willingness to get things done. I hold no grudges, unless one antagonizes me to a great extent. I believe that those who show initiative to better their nation, will be the ones who lead it into the future.

~Frederick Carile

I strongly endorse the candidacy of Herr Gotha, a man with the rare combination of experience and vision, who can lead Germany back to the Empire it once was and put down the upstart French and English who have taken advantage of weaker leadership of the government since the retirement of my grandfather.

Adolf von Arnim-Boitzenburg

Thank you, good sir. I know that my position with the people will allow the Imperialists a chance to grow, and I extend an offer that, should I be nominated and win, a place in the cabinet for Herr Gotha, a worthy man, for he shows willingness to get things done. I hold no grudges, unless one antagonizes me to a great extent. I believe that those who show initiative to better their nation, will be the ones who lead it into the future.

~Frederick Carile

It is good to hear that you, as fellow Imperialist, regard this as the friendly strife it is. While I won't make any promises regarding my proposed Cabinet before the polls are closed, I most certainly applaud your straightforwardness and "willingness to get things done".

Regarding the upcoming primary Chancellor elections, I presume you agree that a majority election would be in the best interest of the party?

I strongly endorse the candidacy of Herr Gotha, a man with the rare combination of experience and vision, who can lead Germany back to the Empire it once was and put down the upstart French and English who have taken advantage of weaker leadership of the government since the retirement of my grandfather.

Adolf von Arnim-Boitzenburg

Thank you for your support, Herr Von Arnim. Unfortunately, vision is all too often confused with new-fangled anarchism and naivety. My vision is one of a strong Germany, unified under a Kaiser, and on that basis some would classify me as reactionary. If pursuing political stability and patriotism makes me a reactionary, then so be it. But never shall I yield to a Liberal's "visionary" plans to dismantle our state's sacred institutions, and pave the way for anarchism. Their trust in the free market is the prime example of naivety.

The defense of our state, and our role in international politics, is very important to me as well. I will spend a week of my campaign speeching about this matter in the Elzas, and another week in the northern Italian territories.

- DDr. Wolfram Siegfried Gotha, former Ambassador to Britain, MBE, Ph.D.

After personal conversations with members of my party, I think that I am in position of present my candidature for the honorable position of Chancellor of the Republic of Germany. I want to thank to all the members of my party that have shown their support to my candidature and apply for the support of those other that have not made public their opinion. In case that the wise people of the Republic decide to rise up the UAI to the rule of the Republic, I can promise you two things: our economy will amaze the world and the UK will regret the day that decided to betray the Republic of Germany.
Deutschland über alles!!

Miguel de la Rosa Picard
Stadtholder von Brussels

Deutsche Volk, genossen of the Republik,

We are at the cusp of a new dawn in Germany. We must look to Conservative leadership for answers, as only we can can be decisive enough to bring a new future. The only difference in policy I see between my Imperialist genossen and I is the question of monarchy, and the question of militarism. We look for a softer approach, supporting the Army in it's glorifying grasps of war, but not going to overblown capacities that could be Germany's nail in the coffin.

I was born on a beautiful day in 1777. A long time ago compared to the present day, but it was a time of modest simplicity. My father and his father before him both served with the men of Saxony, a valiant and noble effort. My family were nothing more than simple peasants at the time, and I grew up on a nice farm. When I was 18, I enlisted in the Army, and quickly shot through the ranks before reaching officer status by my 25th birthday. On my 40th, I retired to a life of relative nobility back in Leipzig.

I am an old man now, and I have a worldly view that may seem outdated... but...

I do hope you choose me, for a truly noble future... for the Republik.

- Friedrich von Mannerheim
Stadtholder von Leipzig, Sachsen

Last edited:
It is good to hear that you, as fellow Imperialist, regard this as the friendly strife it is. While I won't make any promises regarding my proposed Cabinet before the polls are closed, I most certainly applaud your straightforwardness and "willingness to get things done".

Regarding the upcoming primary Chancellor elections, I presume you agree that a majority election would be in the best interest of the party?

Thank you for your support, Herr Von Arnim. Unfortunately, vision is all too often confused with new-fangled anarchism and naivety. My vision is one of a strong Germany, unified under a Kaiser, and on that basis some would classify me as reactionary. If pursuing political stability and patriotism makes me a reactionary, then so be it. But never shall I yield to a Liberal's "visionary" plans to dismantle our state's sacred institutions, and pave the way for anarchism. Their trust in the free market is the prime example of naivety.

The defense of our state, and our role in international politics, is very important to me as well. I will spend a week of my campaign speeching about this matter in the Elzas, and another week in the northern Italian territories.

- DDr. Wolfram Siegfried Gotha, former Ambassador to Britain, MBE, Ph.D.
I agree with your idea of a majority vote, as that will be the fairest.

~Frederick Carile

Herr von Mannerheim,

You have become too cautious in your old age. What is the point of having a magnificent army and navy if you don't use it to inspire fear in your foes and confidence in your friends? The benefits of the German way of life should be extended to all of Europe, one way or the other.

Herr Von Arnim-Boitzenburg,
You have completely missed Herr Von Mannerheim's point. It is not that we should not expand; rather,he would not have us perish at the fiendish hands of some foreign devil. The Army and Navy can be expanded for that purpose. But instead of going on a conquering spree, enslaving populations, and causing nations everywhere to curse us, we should be a nation of peace, strong in both war and diplomacy. What would other states think of us if we acted like blood-thirsty animals, akin to Chinggiss Khan himself? We must hold the olive leaf of diplomacy in one hand and the sword of war in the other. It would be better for Deutschland if we used the olive leaf most of the time. The sword only leads to death and destruction. I am sure you would not want that, would you , mein Herr?
Josef de Spinoza

Herr von Mannerheim,

You have become too cautious in your old age. What is the point of having a magnificent army and navy if you don't use it to inspire fear in your foes and confidence in your friends? The benefits of the German way of life should be extended to all of Europe, one way or the other.

My old age brings more wisdom than you think, my friend. My intent is to show Germany's benevolence through abstaining from pointless invasions that give us far too little gain for far too little prestige. Nay, Germany's mighty army and navy should be focused to our defense, and to show to the world that the German way is the best way for the glory of the Fatherland. We cannot be an example of shining democracy, freedom and liberty if we choose to invade any small country at a whim -- Our position as the King of Nations must be one of benevolence so that we may set an example for all the world to see.

de Spinoza is correct in his interpretation of my cautiousness. Let us extend diplomacy before war, or all generations shall curse the German name, and destroy our way of life. What do you think will happen if all of Germany's neutral or hostile neighbors united against us? French men occupying the Ruhr? Russians along the Oder? God forbid, Bavaria falling to foreign armies? No, Germany must be an example of liberty, not of destruction.

Do not detract my words on my age. I am not infirm yet, and my wits are as sharp as the day I enlisted in the Army. Let us enjoy the fruits of our centuries of struggle, a new Germany. A united Germany, from Lombardy to Germany.

Signed,
Friedrich von Mannerheim

DDr Gotha, I agree entirely with your address. Carile, would you care to expound your vision for Germany?

And may I share a concern of the people of my province? They are concerned that the Scottish naval base on Heligoland will threaten the sales of their timber in the Baltic. Whichever of you is Chancellor, will you insist that Great Britain return the island to Germany?

Paul Meier, Stadtholder of Innsbruck

(( To be clear, Heligoland is controlled by Germany, cored by Germany, not cored by Great Britain, and in the North Sea rather than the Baltic. But it would be annoying to have that decision not fired and cluttering the list, and who better than a far-inland reactionary to insist on something a bit silly. ))

DDr Gotha, I agree entirely with your address. Carile, would you care to expound your vision for Germany?

And may I share a concern of the people of my province? They are concerned that the Scottish naval base on Heligoland will threaten the sales of their timber in the Baltic. Whichever of you is Chancellor, will you insist that Great Britain return the island to Germany?

(( To be clear, Heligoland is controlled by Germany, cored by Germany, not cored by Great Britain, and in the North Sea rather than the Baltic. But it would be annoying to have that decision not fired and cluttering the list, and who better than a far-inland reactionary to insist on something a bit silly. ))

Stadtholder Meier,

I fully intend, if elected, to pressure the Scottish to depart our sovereign soil. The Scotch Empire can't be permitted to own something so close to home, small or otherwise.

Signed,
Friedrich von Mannerheim

I envision a future, with a Kaiser, who, while restored with a bit of power, will not be too powerful as to overthrow the government for an Absolute Monarchy. Meanwhile patriotism will be greatly promoted, with a hope that every citizen of the empire will overlook the past and see the future of a great nation. In the meantime, industries are to be opened across the nation, and taxes and spending are to be modified in such a way that money will not be a problem, but the people and government facilities are not suffering for it. As for the military, war shall be used as a measure of last resort, or when a majority of the populace favors war. The military will be kept at sustainable levels, and the navy shall be kept larger than any other nation's navy, unless the increase in naval size is unsustainable. Railroads and border fortifications, as well as multiple naval yards will be encouraged. This is my view for the future, and if I am made Chancellor, I will do everything in my legal power to ensure this.

~Frederick Carile

It must not become the intent of this government to inspire fear, Herr Von Arnim-Boitzenburg. Others must learn to respect our army, economy, and ideals, but the fearful oft choose violence when diplomacy might suffice. That is, to say the least, not in the interest of any of us.

I give my unreserved support to Stadtholder Picard for the position of Chancellor of the Republic. No more fitting man can I imagine to represent the ideas of the UAI or the values of this Republic to the world.

Signed,
Jérôme Defarge,
Assemblyman

The Romans turned their Republic into an Empire through force of arms and conquest. It is curious that the Romans' true successor, the Holy Roman Empire, has become a Republic through "diplomacy" and earning the "respect" of others by allowing them to take our provinces. I wonder whether the inhabitants of Somerset would prefer the British have feared or respected us when the heathens marched into that fair garden of the Empire?

I must apologize to Florentin Willem Graf von Wächtersbach but in these times of rapid changes even a person that is a candidate for candidacy must give out a speech and as you have failed to do so I will have to change my vote to Friedrich von Mannerheim in hopes that experience will allow him to see the future more clearly.

~ Alex von Bern

((BTW, I'm not actually counting the votes, since there's been such a flurry of activity -- again, I intend to give you guys [and gals] as much power as possible, so if somebody would be so good as to watch out for that sort of thing, I'd appreciate it.))

For general information, here is how each "turn" will go:

1. Chancellor is elected. I will post election votes, determine party balance, and proportion of votes per member.
2. Chancellor chooses ministers (remember: a Chancellor may also reserve one additional portfolio for himself).
3. Any issues that affect both houses (namely, constitutional amendments or political reforms) are introduced at this point. (For the sake of sanity, I can formally call for votes, or if we want to pay close attention to timing, the Chancellor can do it -- I'm interested in thoughts here).
4. Once #3 is settled, then each minister will, in turn, make the decisions as appropriate for his ministry. Then, the respective house votes on the respective policy.
5. I play.

Issues to consider:
1. The timing of upper house elections is not, as far as I know, moddable. If it isn't, I think the smartest idea is to pretend the yearly UH elections don't exist. Otherwise we could get some pretty wild swings (especially depending on the timing of reforms). Ideas here are welcome.
2. Please ask ASAP if you don't understand the rules or have a question -- once an election cycle starts, all "rules" are frozen.
3. Remember that the Chancellor and the Foreign Minister have, potentially, the most power outside of war because they get to decide events unilaterally without relying on a vote. (Policy must be voted on.) I also reserve the right to introduce "crisis situations" in which a particular minister has to make a snap decision, if I need to spice things up.
4. Once a war begins and a Chief of Staff/Chief of Naval Staff are named, there is no voting on war policy. A turn at war would look as thus:

1. Declaration of war and overall war goals are set. (If we are attacked, DOW not needed.)
2. The Minister of War chooses whomever he likes (including himself, incidentally) to be Chief of Staff of the Army. Then he does the same for the Navy (although he cannot play both roles.)
3. For anything production related, the Minister of War decides. For anything else, the appropriate Chief decides. At any point, the Minister of War could fire either chief, and the Assembly maintains the right to vote no confidence in the Minister.

I will post both of those "turn" guidelines in the OP.