• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's a really good point. I think what we'll do is, prior to each election (except the first one), we'll call a quorum. If you aren't available, we'd just call you temporarily inactive (and, obviously, ineligible for any positions). I will, of course, listen to other ideas if somebody has one that's better.

I think the best (but labour-intensive) way of doing this is just to divide the party's votes in the same way as its actually voting members.

Example (Conclave only):

The Alliance: 10 seats
UAI: 30 seats
New Society: 20 seats
Imperialists: 40 seats

All parties vote on a certain education reform;

The Alliance: 3 votes in favour (3 votes)
UAI: 1 vote in favour, 1 vote against, 1 abstention (3 votes)
New Society: 5 votes in favour, 4 votes against, 1 abstention (10 votes)
Imperialists: 1 vote in favour, 3 votes against (4 votes)

Each party's seats would then be distributed according to the player votes;

The Alliance: 10 seats in favour (10 seats)
UAI: 10 seats in favour, 10 seats against, 10 seats abstain (30 seats)
New Society: 10 seats in favour, 8 seats against, 2 seats abstain (20 seats)
Imperialists: 10 seats in favour, 30 seats against (40 seats)

Result: 40 seats in favour, 48 seats against, 12 seats abstain

That example makes me wonder; what if a proposal has a relative, non-absolute majority?

gengvoz.jpg

Name: Stadtholder Friedrich-Augustus von Altmark, Count of Altmark
Date of Birth: September 12th, 1798 - April 24th, 1865 (67)
House: Conclave
Political Affiliation: Imperialist (1853 - 1865)
UAI (1836 - 1853)

Bio: Born the eldest son to the last count of Altmark, Friedrich-Augustus continues his family's tradition by continuing to use his noble title regardless of the legalistic restrictions of such noble titles. At the young age of 22 he was confronted by the death of most of his family due to a house fire, including his father and his younger brother. Powered by grief and searching for an outlet, Friedrich-Augustus threw himself into his work, building up a company from the bottom named the Deutsch Allgemeine Materialien Unternehmens, dedicated to owning industry of all types across Germany.

Rather uncaring of politics, he was convinced by a friend to run for the Conclave on a platform of economic growth and domestic industrialisation. The most surprised at his election was Friedrich-Augustus, however he was a man of duty and traveled to Bavaria to represent Altmark and it's interests in the gigantic conundrum that is Germanic politics. There he joined the UAI and became part of the visible minority advocating economic growth over military and cultural domination.

After the 1836 elections Friedrich-Augustus became the Minister of the Interior for the newly elected UAI government under Chancellor Picard. However he lost the job in the 1840 elections but regained it following the retirement of H. von Sigmaringen in 1845. Over the years von Altmark has become known for his dedication to low capitalist taxes, promoting industry and not voting.

Herr von Altmark was polarised during the assassination of the Hohenzollerns in 1849 when he became Emergency Chancellor (due to his roll as Minister of the Interior). He enacted repressive programs against non-Germans as a reprisal for the assassinations, the government viewed his actions with suspicion, resulting in the changing of the rules and forcing von Altmark out of the Chancellor's chair. Seeing that the UAI would not support him, he strode across the bench and join von Habspurg's newly formed Economist Party as a result of this perceived insult, however due to lack of party membership the party fell below threshold and von Altmark once again ended up part of the UAI. However during the Italification of von Hapsburg (now d'Absburgo), von Altmark's limited citizenship views came into question which resulted in his expulsion from the party. He joined the Imperialists the same day.

He served as Minister of War following the resignation of the previous Minister until his death in 1865. He was succeeded by his son Otto.

Titles: Count of Altmark ~ 1812 - 1865
Owner of Deutsch Allgemeine Materialien Unternehmens (DAMU) ~ 1815 - 1865
Stadtholder of Altmark ~ 1822 - 1865
Minister of the Interior ~ 1836 - 1840, 1845 - 1858
Emergency Chancellor of the German Republic ~ July 1849 - July 1850
Minister of War ~ 1863 - 1865

Last edited:
I think the best (but labour-intensive) way of doing this is just to divide the party's votes in the same way as its actually voting members.

Example (Conclave only):

That example makes me wonder; what if a proposal has a relative, non-absolute majority?

Simple majority is sufficient for anything that isn't a constitutional amendment (which requires 2/3rds). If they're exactly equal somehow, I would cast the deciding vote as "Stadtholder von Nürnberg", although this would be extremely rare.

I do prefer your system, which eliminates the need for the quorum.

EDIT: Just saw Dadarian's character (I am getting emu'd all over the place tonight.) I am really, really loathe to allow independents. If there's a particular reason you want to stay independent, PM me, Dadarian. Remember, you have some flexibility to change parties. An independent would, theoretically, be ineligible for office (per the party balance guidelines), except Chief of Staff/Navy Chief of Staff. However, again, everything is kind of based around the party system, and unless there's an absolutely crucial reason to be Independent, I'm inclined to disallow it.

Name: Frederick Carile
Party: The Imperialists
Birthplace: Munich
Biography:
The first of his family to gain note, Frederick is a brilliant man, and is younger than most of his peers. Bearing a somewhat superior intellect, his is a bit of an egghead, and usually jokes about sciency stuff. Nonetheless he is a friendly man who is popular among many for being a common man.

((Could we get a map and/or list of what all the provinces produce? I'm fine with a list like Bohemia- a, b, and c.

Edit- I feel like an idiot. After posting this I went back to the main page and saw that this aar had the most recent post. So I clicked on it. Then realized that it was obviously my post.))

gengvoz.jpg

Name: Stadtholder Friedrich-Augustus von Altmark, Count of Altmark
Date of Birth: September 12th, 1798 (38)
House: Conclave
Political Affiliation: UAI

Titles: Count of Altmark ~ 1812 - present
Owner of Deutsch Allgemeine Materialien Unternehmens (DAMU) ~ 1815 - present
Stadtholder of Altmark ~ 1822 - present
((Well, if you're going to do that :p))

Name: Heinrich Wolff
Date of Birth: December 25th, 1790 (30), Koln, Rhineland
House: Assembly
Political Affiliation: The New Society

Bio: An industrialist from the Rhineland, and a Monarchist at heart, Wolff felt he needed to safeguard Germany's interests, as well as lacking markets and raw materials for his goods. He will tolerate the status quo as long as it favours men such as himself, but is not above violence when it suits his interests. He also has a soft spot for the French, his family having intermarried with them several times throughout its history.

Glad to see the new characters!

EtzelHoveri, since I'm going to need to convert at least one more time before we start (the naval base bug, where you get more than one base per state, is a tricky one), I'd rather wait until I share specific information which may change. (Probably won't, but we'll see.) We ALSO may get NNM support, in which case I'd have to make an adjustment or two to the prologue.

((Is all roleplaying supposed to be contained in this thread, or can we PM other players to represent private conversations and deals under the table? I ask because a part of the point of roleplaying in a single thread is to allow the characters and world to build off of each contribution easily, and PM's disrupt that a little.))

((Is all roleplaying supposed to be contained in this thread, or can we PM other players to represent private conversations and deals under the table? I ask because a part of the point of roleplaying in a single thread is to allow the characters and world to build off of each contribution easily, and PM's disrupt that a little.))
((In my experience with EoE [and the advice I was given when I asked a similar question when starting out], you can try in-character private messages but conversations will almost always end up out of character.))

You may RP as much as you like via PM or an internet chat program of some kind. You can negotiate in thread too, but it would kind of ruin most of your secret plans. ;)

((I have been thinking about this for a time and finally i have decised to share my opnion. Avindian, i think that given that you are still editing the save game it would be very interesting, for game as for story purpose, to add cores of american nations in those territories (usa, argentina...) that the power is still based in Europe (Venice may not need Brazil). It could be a way to avoid super-empires from the beggining, giving them reasons to worry at midgame. What do you (and other plsters) think?
By other way, I am will to create a constitunional amendment to allow people not born in the Republic to become chancellor))

1808 is under 30, and thus he would not technically "exist" at game start (since you have to be 30 to be elected to either house). You can edit the date or sit out the first election, whatever works better for you.

Oh, and please, in the interest of something like political balance, nobody else join the New Society? Please?! :D
((Alright in that case Alex von Bern was born in 1805 :) ))

((I have been thinking about this for a time and finally i have decised to share my opnion. Avindian, i think that given that you are still editing the save game it would be very interesting, for game as for story purpose, to add cores of american nations in those territories (usa, argentina...) that the power is still based in Europe (Venice may not need Brazil). It could be a way to avoid super-empires from the beggining, giving them reasons to worry at midgame. What do you (and other plsters) think?
By other way, I am will to create a constitunional amendment to allow people not born in the Republic to become chancellor))

Manually adding cores would be a headache and very time consuming. I'm not saying I won't do it, but I certainly won't do it now. However, I should mention that just because I said the USA doesn't have cores doesn't mean another country (hint hint England) doesn't have cores there. ;) When I finalize the save before our election, I'll post it so people can take a look.

((Considering Venice only has Brazil I'm pretty sure that they should keep it))

They will!

((Alright in that case Alex von Bern was born in 1805 :) ))

I will fix that.

Good news! NNM is back on the table! If you haven't played Vicky 2 with the New Nations Mod, you really ought to (unless you're using POD, in which case you have NNM already). It adds a lot to the late game, allows for people to change alliances right before a Great War... it's great fun! For our purposes, it adds a bunch of new tags, events, and decisions -- I will post the new decisions which are relevant to us as soon as I finalize the save.

Name: Major Joachim Peymann (retired)
Born: 27th November 1778, Aarhus.
Present Occupation: None besides politics.
House: Assembly
Political Affiliation: Alliance.

A retired military officer sits uneasily with the notoriously pacifist Alliance, but anyone who has heard Major Peymann's account of the horrors of the Battle of Warsaw (1800) and the events leading up to the surrender of Switzerland in 1803 will understand his aversion to further conflict. With the Peymann family well-liked employers in Aarhus, it was easy for him to gain a seat in the National Assembly, from where he hopes to influence foreign policy. It is no secret that Peymann would like to see more devolution for Denmark, but not independence; this, combined with having fought in Germany's armies, means the Danish independence movement regard him with more suspicion than affection. While he himself behaves as if independently wealthy, the truth of the matter is that the Peymanns are affluent shipping magnates, fully in favour of the Alliance's free trade doctrine; Joachim lives in the family home with few needs of his own as long as he is their voice and ears in the Assembly. (In 1836, this sort of influence peddling is not yet regarded as unacceptably corrupt, so this is no secret.)

((Hope that's OK. The Alliance are very short of people.))