• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PrinceCola

Major
82 Badges
Oct 9, 2012
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
Hi. I really want to starts as an Anglo-Saxon in 867, but Ivar the Boneless and his brother in jorvik. Let me also say i am no expert, and do not like having to many vassals to deal with. I do however want to try to form England/Britain.

Who would you recommend? I looked at Ælla, but he was in a war with Ivar with a 75% difficulty :confused:

Maybe i am asking to much xD

First, throw the difficulty out the window, it doesn't mean anything. You get a really easy difficulty prediction for the HRE because your of all your vassals, which is pretty hilarious considering they're only a burden.

It often just depends on luck. The English kings in 867 are ranked highly amongst the people who will become unlanded the quickest in game, along with people like the Chief of the Canarias, Khazars, the Karen Satrapy and Nubia. I'd honestly not recommend starting as a catholic character altogether when playing the 867 start if you're starting out.

Try Alfred (Count of Dorset). He has good traits and you can plot-kill your brother so that you can inherit the whole duchy.

Use a lot the terrain (try to fight in the hills of skotland). At the beginning of the war you will have a lot of help but your total army (yours and friends) is only like one quarter or less than those of Ivan. He will form stacks that you can kill with some good luck. I speak of skotland for here, on Galloway, you can merge with your allies troops and be on good terrain to take an advantage (look at the rivers also, or better, a strait).

Once you survive the war (even by loosing some territories), you have to play a submissive game: you can either swear fealty to Ivar and eat the kingdom from the inside. You can also swear fealty to one powerful continental king, that works also.

Be aware though that if you don't destroy the special event troops, one of the two kings will start to county invade a lote of britain and become powerful. Then your goal is to make them die quickly. Ivar and Halfdan have good stats but a lot of incompetent sons. Once they die, remember they are pagans : civil war will break out and you will have a chance to expand.

I am doing an AAR on Aella, look at it (there is a link in my signature).

It is VERY though at the beginning but you can manage that.

If you are on the 2.0.1 patch, this is a little trickier than it has been before, and it may be toned down after the next patch - The Norse in England have a lot of event troops in comparison to what you can raise. Start as Wessex or Mercia rather than Northumberland or East Anglia, those two will be targeted first. Especially Aella, as you said, is right in the middle of getting his ass kicked. Wessex or Mercia have some time to prepare though, help each other out in wars and try to delay the enemy as much as possible. If the Viking leaders die, they'll split their realm among their sons and possibly have a civil war, which is great news for you. So try to hang in there for that. Hoard gold so that you can hire mercenaries in a crisis, don't buy any buildings until you're well established.

It can be a tricky start but it's one of my favorites, good luck with it!

The time I played as Mercia it wasn't bad, slowly wearing down Ivar's troops and expanding where I could. Use du jure claims against single Norse countries so you don't end up fighting the entire Norse religion all at once, bide your time and foment alliances with other people on the Island. That was pre-2.0, though, and I know that things have changed drastically since then.

As an FYI, I believe that they nerfed the starting armies and event troops in the 2.0.2 beta patch, so that might be something to try. Also, you could always just play as Ivar and convert to Christianity after you've cemented your kingdom. Then educate your heir to be Anglo-Saxon and you're all set. Pre-2.0 I think I'd captured all of Scotland and Ireland, most of Wales and parts of England by the time he died, and so it was certainly the easiest/fastest I've formed Britannia. Just some ideas...

If you can wait a week or two, the next patch should be nerfing the starting event troops to bring them in line with the levy changes, making the imbalance less ridiculous.

If you can wait a week or two, the next patch should be nerfing the starting event troops to bring them in line with the levy changes, making the imbalance less ridiculous.

Ooo, nice! Ivar and his brother have like 45..ivar 14k and his brother 31k i think.

Thank Paradox.

EDIT: Is the patch dated or is it circa?

Last edited:
Ivar also has the "Strong" Trait, so his Kingdom will be very stable. In my latest game, despite being maimed at age 55, he lived to be 71 because the Strong trait offsets the maimed trait in terms of health, and he has the +1.5 health martial education. I have seen him live to be over 100 more than once. The good thing is that Skotland tends to fall apart once he dies, because he'll have like... nine hundred children ready to inherit and gavelkind succession laws. (My latest game, after his death, Skotland fought a 12 year civil war, and in that time I was able to grab six provinces from them by way of holy wars.)

Probably not in the current patch, but earlier I was able to hold on as Scotland due to jew loans.Hoard money plus loan, plus alliances if you get any.My neighbor norse even converted to catholic :D.

i have seen one of the denmark vikings declare a prepared invasion on wessex.

It can happen. Occasionally Jylland will target wessex instead of Murcia, not sure what the qualifications are though.