• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Anjwalker

Major
39 Badges
Mar 4, 2012
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Dungeonland
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Magicka 2
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
The March for Rome - Venice Rising
An AAR by Anjwalker

Greetings :) It's been a long time since I've done an AAR ... In fact it's been since I built a feeble Croatian kingdom in Victoria II in mid 2012. However I got EU IV about two weeks ago and it has inspired me to make another AAR as one of my favourite countries in history, Venice. This is inspired by something I once heard about the Doge's of Venice allegedly including "Ruler of 1/6th of Rome" in their titular. I don't know if it's true, but it inspired me to try and build the roman empire with Venice. I don't know if it's possible, especially with my crap skills of conquest but I hope you'll follow the journey.

I was puzzled in how to write this to make it enjoyable, but I decided to steal some pages from science fiction and I hope you like the result :)

This will not be ironman, to allow for random lucky nations. It begins in the default start date of 1444.

Goals to achieve by game end (in no particular order)
1) Conquer Roman Empire's territory (See map)
2) Disband Holy Roman Empire
3) Own Constantinople and Rome
4) Conquer Italy
5) Make Venice a monarchy (not sure if this is even possible, but I want to try).

This is what the Roman Empire looked like at it's greatest extent, and my target;

RomanEmpire_zpsf5e5fe97.png

Last edited:
Subscribed!

Prologue - A Watcher

PROLOGUE: A Watcher

I'd been assigned Venice. Venice they'd said, "Queen of the Adriatic" they called it. But who was Venice? And where was the Adriatic that they had ruled over? Presumably it was a human, it was human history class after all, but what made it important enough to be worthy of my attention so long after? It was just lame, nothing more.

I'd come home in huff because of this, muttering under my breath about "Why did I get such a lame topic?" and "How come measly Bazha got America?". Now that was an easy topic, so many things were well known about it. I'd kept brooding all through dinner until my mothers scolding had forced me to stop and pay attention to the meal. And then I'd quickly slipped away to my room as soon as I finished eating, to brood some more.

Around the later half of the 7th star cycle I decided I might as well look up this 'Venice' and get my humiliation over with. And so now I sat in front of the holoscreen, blinking menus floating next to the logo of Extranet while I typed in the name with my hard light keypad.

The computer synthesised voice of the computer began reading the information as it came up on screen.

"Venice, former capital of the Republic of Venice, was a city on the planet Earth, homeworld of the 'Homo sapien' species. It was renowned internationally for its wealth, culture, arts and architecture including its unique network of canals that replaced traditional roads .... the story of it namesake the Republic of Venice begins in 1444 ...

Good luck! I'm a sucker for Roman Empire AARs!

Nice start with the narrative. Hopefully these Homo Sapiens can go far...:D