• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

WaffleTheBard

Central Trading Post Agent
53 Badges
Jan 11, 2012
  • Sengoku
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Iron Cross
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
jQeEBjt.jpg
Fallout Pre-War brings a whole new experience to the Darkest Hour scene. This mod intends to replicate to the best extent the pre-war geopolitical and military stage of the fallout world. The main focus currently on game play is to mimic the resource shortages and desperation of the time. Of course this mod will require massive amounts of work to redo essentially everything. As for the start date that still remains up for debate, but we've been contemplating anywhere from the 2040's to the 2060's. Hopefully the community will answer that question for us, but in the mean time work is steadily going forward.

Progress

The Map - 50%

Tech Tree - 0%​
U.I. - 10%​
OOB - 0%​
Events - 0%​
Flags - 10%​
Ministers - 0%​
Country Skins - 10%​

Story & Resource Information
Since the information on pre-war lore is limited to say the least in many areas, we are currently using several sources to ascertain much of the needed information. Fallout wikia has proved vital in creating the map and understanding the timeline. The story does follow the same premise though some liberties will no doubt have to be taken in some areas. This is were the community comes in, it is very important that feed back from you folks will help shine light on these gray areas of the lore.

Screen Shots

v7R4pWf.jpg

HyRai0F.png

Vault-Tec Employees
EmperorWillham
WaffleTheBard
Gukpa
DeadGrunt
If you would like to join the team, then pm me. (help is needed)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Interesting. How will the dissolution of EU(?) be handled? And the resource wars is gonna be fun. Maybe there will even be an AAR style mod, where you can transit to Fallout mod flawlessly one day.

Observation: The map of Europe is Wrong,Warsaw pact still alive according to Fallout bible,because the cold war haven't ended yet

p.s. I wanna to be part of the team :)

Last edited:
I remember having this idea some time back for HOI2, after playing FODD. I put together a timeline, a chain of events, a tech tree, the whole nine yards. Just never drew the attention of a team to build it with.

I don't have the time or the energy to really spill my guts into this, but I'd be happy to hand over the stuff I came up with. It was mostly conceptual, although I'd made a new pair of intro videos with the original Bink player, new interface (based on the FODD one) and was even in the middle of converting Fallout 2 sprites into HOI2 ones. Not sure how far you'd want to take that angle.

I would strongly suggest you begin in the year 2060, as it marks the end of the Commonwealth-Middle Eastern War, the breakup of the European Commonwealth, and the first major disruptions of automobile transit on petrol due to rationed resources. It also gives you the room to have a different US President elected, which changes whether or not things like the Enclave and FEV are allowed to occur, and might even stop the war.

I would also Very strongly suggest you rework the entire map's resources to a bare minimum and give each nation a pre-calculated resource reserve with what is essentially a countdown to a crash. This period is known as the "Resource Wars" for a reason. Make them actually scarce. Make them actually worth fighting over as players.

Along the same lines, the tech tree ought to include "compromise technology." In my case I had jet fighters next to prop bombers, since the latter would conserve fuel. The same could be said of motorized versus foot infantry, and the reverse with nuclear tech: Can you say Nuclear powered tanks?

And needless to say, give the power armor its due credit. Make them the juggernaut secret weapon that they ought to be, with an outrageous tech tree and ultimate payoff.

I remember having this idea some time back for HOI2, after playing FODD. I put together a timeline, a chain of events, a tech tree, the whole nine yards. Just never drew the attention of a team to build it with.

I don't have the time or the energy to really spill my guts into this, but I'd be happy to hand over the stuff I came up with. It was mostly conceptual, although I'd made a new pair of intro videos with the original Bink player, new interface (based on the FODD one) and was even in the middle of converting Fallout 2 sprites into HOI2 ones. Not sure how far you'd want to take that angle.

I would strongly suggest you begin in the year 2060, as it marks the end of the Commonwealth-Middle Eastern War, the breakup of the European Commonwealth, and the first major disruptions of automobile transit on petrol due to rationed resources. It also gives you the room to have a different US President elected, which changes whether or not things like the Enclave and FEV are allowed to occur, and might even stop the war.

I would also Very strongly suggest you rework the entire map's resources to a bare minimum and give each nation a pre-calculated resource reserve with what is essentially a countdown to a crash. This period is known as the "Resource Wars" for a reason. Make them actually scarce. Make them actually worth fighting over as players.

Along the same lines, the tech tree ought to include "compromise technology." In my case I had jet fighters next to prop bombers, since the latter would conserve fuel. The same could be said of motorized versus foot infantry, and the reverse with nuclear tech: Can you say Nuclear powered tanks?

And needless to say, give the power armor its due credit. Make them the juggernaut secret weapon that they ought to be, with an outrageous tech tree and ultimate payoff.
Ya I was thinking of starting in 2060, but I would also love to see some of your resources and mess around with them.

Turns out half of the documentation was scrawled into a notebook in the middle of college classes, so it'll take time to put that into text format.

There are an awful lot of resources, much of it multimedia. Complete soundtrack, all the Fallout 2 sprites ripped, etc. The flags aren't in "proper" format; vector graphics, but not turned into waving images. What kinds of things would you be interested in right now?

Turns out half of the documentation was scrawled into a notebook in the middle of college classes, so it'll take time to put that into text format.

There are an awful lot of resources, much of it multimedia. Complete soundtrack, all the Fallout 2 sprites ripped, etc. The flags aren't in "proper" format; vector graphics, but not turned into waving images. What kinds of things would you be interested in right now?
The flags can be useful immediately, because I have a DH flag maker template in Photoshop. I would be interested in taking a look at the fallout 2 sprites and see there potential. I'm also thinking about changing energy to uranium as a resource.

Uranium may not be worth making a resource per-se since it wouldn't require too much to actually power everything. Cutting out the idea of coal, even wood as energy makes the resource wars dicey. Not sure how that could be safely implemented; I always considered the "cheap, efficient" nuclear tech to be resource-less, an end-game objective which tips the scales, prompting a desperate enemy to blow you to pieces.

As for the flags, here's all of them dumped into a small space. Since it's vector art, I can give them to you at any size you need, but bear in mind they're all proportional; they fit the original HOI2 flag sizes.

DoRM36L.png

Many of these flags are Frankenstein monsters made out of the national flags included. In my version of events, large swaths of the map were collected into unions and confederations, since smaller nations had no chance of surviving. (It also made development easier; partisans and general anarchy is easier to manage than a million little independent nations that serve no real purpose).

Note I took a contrary position with the European Commonwealth. I always see people give it a Euro symbol and otherwise look exactly like the current EU flag, but I opted to throw back to the original energy and coal organization flag with disproportionate stars, just to make it look "off."

Uranium may not be worth making a resource per-se since it wouldn't require too much to actually power everything. Cutting out the idea of coal, even wood as energy makes the resource wars dicey. Not sure how that could be safely implemented; I always considered the "cheap, efficient" nuclear tech to be resource-less, an end-game objective which tips the scales, prompting a desperate enemy to blow you to pieces.

As for the flags, here's all of them dumped into a small space. Since it's vector art, I can give them to you at any size you need, but bear in mind they're all proportional; they fit the original HOI2 flag sizes.

DoRM36L.png

Many of these flags are Frankenstein monsters made out of the national flags included. In my version of events, large swaths of the map were collected into unions and confederations, since smaller nations had no chance of surviving. (It also made development easier; partisans and general anarchy is easier to manage than a million little independent nations that serve no real purpose).

Note I took a contrary position with the European Commonwealth. I always see people give it a Euro symbol and otherwise look exactly like the current EU flag, but I opted to throw back to the original energy and coal organization flag with disproportionate stars, just to make it look "off."
These are great, do you think the Soviet Union should have the eastern block or not? I keep on running into contradicting maps, and I'am also using the mass federation and confederation approach to the map.

Here's an example of the T-51 walking animation.

iB0dYML.png

Along with a "rebel" i.e. partisan/militia.

LH5vr1J.png

I had enough raw pieces for a soldier in combat armor representing foot infantry (shotgun/rifle), motorized (SMG), mechanized (rocket launcher), and special forces (flamethrower).

3LD6Ys4.png
R5IVitE.png
wSLTjse.png
uz35Dqq.png

To make the nukes more interesting, I made really crude 3d models of ICBMs and a warhead.

lZVpEDt.png

And there's this drawn out nuke explosion, since I prefer to see them all on the map rather than dissipate so quickly like vanilla HOI2.

I gave the Soviets complete control of Poland as a Soviet Republic but had them lose their grip on other places. Just because the USSR exists doesn't mean it had to be static or permanently strong. Remember, they were always at odds with Red China. So I explained it by saying they had their Berlin Wall collapse, but they held the USSR proper together, with Poland being the most easily leveraged puppet. It gives the EC plenty of room for breakup, and also explains why the USSR is sort of docile... until the EC breaks up, at which point it becomes opportunistic. Owning Poland gives it a much larger land border, increasing this threat/"bargaining" potential.

ZWyoUQm.png

Edit: I also posted shots of sprites but apparently there's a limit on double posting, or posting too many pictures, so it's waiting for mod approval.

Last edited:
Very interesting. I will keep an eye on your progress.

I gave the Soviets complete control of Poland as a Soviet Republic but had them lose their grip on other places. Just because the USSR exists doesn't mean it had to be static or permanently strong. Remember, they were always at odds with Red China. So I explained it by saying they had their Berlin Wall collapse, but they held the USSR proper together, with Poland being the most easily leveraged puppet. It gives the EC plenty of room for breakup, and also explains why the USSR is sort of docile... until the EC breaks up, at which point it becomes opportunistic. Owning Poland gives it a much larger land border, increasing this threat/"bargaining" potential.

ZWyoUQm.png

Edit: I also posted shots of sprites but apparently there's a limit on double posting, or posting too many pictures, so it's waiting for mod approval.

For me is pretty ok,but I guess that maybe Romania may still are under Soviet control,what do you think about Gorbachev have send aid to Cheochescu,making he crushed the internal Unrest?

Oh,and Korea is ROK or DPRK in your map?
And Why Burma,Malasya,Thailand,Cambodia,Laos,Brazil and Philippines aren't free?You know,Brazil cannot be in a union with all the other south american nations,we aren't castillian

These are great, do you think the Soviet Union should have the eastern block or not? I keep on running into contradicting maps, and I'am also using the mass federation and confederation approach to the map.
Go with the eastern bloc. Because many of these countries have a sense of independence, also the western alliance if there is one, will not stand by and let the Soviets swallow up these countries.

Also think the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and pretty much the rest of the world. Should look similar to our timeline during the Cold War, but with modern twists.

Due to the fact that the fallout world's universe being pretty much the same as ours until the end of world war two.
I'll always like to think of the fallout world is being our world, but on a cultural standstill, and where science is subject to the laws of 1950s pop culture. :)
Also this just makes it easier for me to add stuff. :)

Last edited:
For me is pretty ok,but I guess that maybe Romania may still are under Soviet control,what do you think about Gorbachev have send aid to Cheochescu,making he crushed the internal Unrest?

Oh,and Korea is ROK or DPRK in your map?
From my knowledge of the period, especially military matters, Romania was a relative backwater. The only two states capable of being held by the Soviets through brute force would have been Poland and East Germany. Romania was a mess; I pictured it being roped into the EC like a damsel being swept away by a night in shining armor. In any case, it wouldn't have made much of a difference in my scenario since the Balkan countries put together a heavily ironic "Balkan League" and set out to pursue "Balkan interests," in a complete inversion of our world.

I had South Korea fall to the North sometime in the 2000s when a powerhousing China gives the DPRK the leverage it needed to take a "peaceful unification of the two Koreas" and crush the dissenters from within. Ergo, with the fall of the Berlin Wall, the West starts to slack like it did in our world, but it pays for it dearly here, galvanizing it into being vehemently anti-communist into the 2060s.

Looks Good,but Soviet Union still cannot survive without only Poland under his influence....What do you think about Slovakia or Hungary?

And still,this map lacks many countries,and why Orthodox Ethiopia is under control of the Caliphate?