• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cetan

Colonel
75 Badges
Feb 26, 2012
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
OpYMAjn.png

Title says it all.

I'm aware that there was an issue with the engine, that requires all sea zones to be connected or something. Coupled with the whole "There's no real Suez Canal" issue that would be the logical sea zone connection... I can see why there hasn't been any put in.

* Would a small "Suez" river zone count to link up the two sea areas, and disallow most ships to pass through?

* Is there a way to make a teeny sea zone that doesn't allow ships to cross?

* Could we just stick the canal there (as a navigable sea zone) regardless, using the claims that there was a basic canal and call it good?

Last edited:
Would a small "Suez" river zone count to link up the two sea areas, and disallow most ships to pass through? Is there a way to make a teeny sea zone that doesn't allow ships to cross? Could we just stick the canal there regardless, using the claims that there was a basic canal and call it good?

The problem is, that the AI can't handle unconnected seazones... And this problem would still e xist with an unpassable sea zone.

There's no simple way to do so with modding, however, surely it was Paradox whom made the naval AI in the first place? Surely the AI could be improved to handle discontiguous sea-zones?

This affects Europa Universalis IV, as well, in the case of the Mamluks, and any other nation which may controls Suez without exploring the Cape of Good Hope first.

There's no simple way to do so with modding, however, surely it was Paradox whom made the naval AI in the first place? Surely the AI could be improved to handle discontiguous sea-zones?
Paradox has tried. The devs said they just could not get it to work. The problem is with the AI sending ships to load troops in a province the ships can't reach.

I guess put a long portage there or something...

Here's a fresh idea - make a sea zone that's actually about as big as a river. Problem solved.

One of my ideas (or using an actual river; I don't know if that counts as connecting the unconnected sea zones AI-wise.)

Not particularly well. Ever seen a 867 boat-less France try to shoo away rebels on mallorca?

Well, what would the player do? Not much better until either side gets boats.

The problem is, that the AI can't handle unconnected seazones... And this problem would still exist with an unpassable sea zone.

My idea was that the sea zones would be connected, but somehow flagged to not allow any ships to enter. I don't know the nuts and bolts of the AI, but that was my idea of "connecting" it.

Paradox has tried. The devs said they just could not get it to work. The problem is with the AI sending ships to load troops in a province the ships can't reach.

Now they have Wiz working wonders with the AI... perhaps the new fresh team (as mentioned by Doomdark) could be able to tackle it? :D

Umbra Spherae has an OK compromise. A ship that wants to get around Africa effectively goes off the map, past the southernmost point and reemerges in the Indian Ocean after a long transit.

Signed.

Umbra Spherae has an OK compromise. A ship that wants to get around Africa effectively goes off the map, past the southernmost point and reemerges in the Indian Ocean after a long transit.

I'm not sure how rounding the cape 600 years early is an OK compromise. I'd rather take the suez canal option.