• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Aardvark Bellay

Lord Wuffington of Grumpytown by the barks
21 Badges
Apr 5, 2001
  • Divine Wind
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
As the name suggests, better building names taken off the localisation files for the 1.092 patch.

Replaces several dull building names in newer patches with the old ones.
Should be timeless/compatible with all patches. More or less.

Compatibility- timeless (most likely)

Download (version for after 2.6 and for before 2.5):
OldBuildingNames (pre 2.5; post 2.6).7z

Old - Download (version for patch 2.5)
OldBuildingNames (patch 2.5).7z

Should work for all languages.

This is a micro-mod i did for myself after Patch 1.10 had been released and simplified the building names even further.
So i thought to share it, in case anyone is interested.

Example (Since and before patch 1.10)

Level (Since patch 1.10)

1 Castle Fortifications (for all 5 levels, only difference being the number)

Level (Before patch 1.10)

1 Shallow Castle Moat
2 Arrow Slits
3 Portcullis
4 Deep Castle Moat
5 Barbicans

--------------------------------------------------

OldBuildingNamesMod.jpg

The difference is quite obvious. :cool:

Potential issue:
Sometimes the names are too long and don't get displayed in full,
especially if some User-Interface font mods get used.

How-to-install-a-mod (without Steam Workshop) in an example:
Unzip/extract the downloaded file with a program like 7Zip or WinRar for instance to your desktop or default download location.

There is now either a folder by the mods name (this should include some folders named as in the ck2 game folder) along a file by the mods name which Windows displays as a media file
or you'll only find a new folder which includes the aforementioned (regular mod folder and mod file).
You will only need the first mentioned folder and mod file.

Now move or copy the regular folder (which already includes folders as in your ck2 install) and the mod file to C:\Users\<Name>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II/mod

If the "mod" folder doesn't exist, simply create it yourself.
Now that both, the mod folder and file are in the "mod" folder, the mod should show up in your launcher. Check it and you're ready to go.

What i did:
I simply copied all building name related lines and descriptions i could find from the localisation files pre 1.10 patch, so from the 1.092 folder.
For the german names i used the changes of the german-translation mod along vanilla.
Basically a copy and paste job.

I'm not aware of it, but in the case that i might have forgotten some names, if you discover any, please report and i will see if i can include them.

(Potential) Ideas for the future:
There were plans to do an "immersive historical building names" mod in the german subforum , which could be expanded on other languages,
but we haven't made any progress (that's in parts my fault, i have to admit )

Please report any issues (though there shouldn't be any, as it worked flawless for me), just like ideas for additional stuff to include.

Thanks and i hope some might find use for it.

Attachments

• OldBuildingNames (patch 2.5).7z
    34,6 KB · Views: 13
  • OldBuildingNames (pre 2.5; post 2.6).7z
    34,5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Reactions:
Great. I hated it when they decided to change the names to what they are now.

I will certainly use it.

Do you think it might have compatibility issues with other mods?

I will certainly use it.

As long as the corresponding files in common/building are not radically changed, i don't think there should be any issues.
As long as there is just additional stuff, the game should look for these names in the files of that specific mod.
Never really tried with overhaul mods though.

I will certainly use it.

Update:
Actually you migh need to add " dependencies = { "modname" } " in the .mod file, so that it looks like this:

Code:
name = "OldBuildingNames" 
path = "mod/OldBuildingNames" 
dependencies = { "examplemodname" }

Instead of "examplemodname" it obviously has to be the name of the mod you use, as long as you want my namesmod to be effective.
Thats what Nivve told me in the Quick Questions thread. Don't know really.

As far as i understand and i don't understand very far.......:laugh:........the mod needs to load last to not get overwritten by the other and for that to work, the "dependencies" line shall be necessary.
Well i'm just no modder. Well i mod here and there, but...well you get the picture.

(In short, i have no clue about load order and i'm not aware of a non-fantasy mod that changes building names quite that much or if, then probably better than this. ;) )

Maybe i should check that myself. :cool:

edit: Scrap my text above. Looked at the files of SWMH, PB and CK2+ for instance and they either have their own buildings and special files (in 'common/building') or just change cultural buildings, which i haven't added in my mod.
I don't think cultural building names have changed after 1.092, just added.

So it shouldn't conflict or not load.....i guess....in general...probably. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
does it actually work without adding
Code:
add_number_to_name = no
to the buiding files ?

does it actually work without adding
Code:
add_number_to_name = no
to the buiding files ?

Yes it does.
The numbers on the left existed before the change in 1.10 and they still do, but not the ones to the right.
Some longer names don't fit, but that was the case from the beginning afaik and some orientation besides the name seems necessary.
Didn't even know such command as in your example exists.

this command prevent the game using only 1st step building text and adding numbers after it to name following buildings in the chain, that is why i asked if it works properly without using this^^

this command prevent the game using only 1st step building text and adding numbers after it to name following buildings in the chain, that is why i asked if it works properly without using this^^

I don't really understand, sorry. :huh::unsure:

I added the line you recommended into the mod file at its beginning and it completely messed up the start menu button names.
Didn't even try to look inside the game.

Maybe you should try the mod then ? :D

This still work with 2.1.1?

This still work with 2.1.1?

It works and i updated it as well.

Added cultural buildings, Republican buildings and fixed two bugs/glitches i found.
Thanks for asking, as i realised that i forgot to update it to the version i use myself for months now. Oops. :eek:o

As long as Paradox doesn't feel the need to change the format of localisation files to the ones used in EU4 it should still work.
I hope they stick with what we got, otherwise it could mean a pain for modders and Workshop sucks anyway....in my opinion. :D

It works and i updated it as well.

Added cultural buildings, Republican buildings and fixed two bugs/glitches i found.
Thanks for asking, as i realised that i forgot to update it to the version i use myself for months now. Oops. :eek:o

As long as Paradox doesn't feel the need to change the format of localisation files to the ones used in EU4 it should still work.
I hope they stick with what we got, otherwise it could mean a pain for modders and Workshop sucks anyway....in my opinion. :D
Cool, thanks for the update. :)

Getting back into CKII with the latest DLC, just checking, still ok to use? Thanks!

Getting back into CKII with the latest DLC, just checking, still ok to use? Thanks!

Should be.
Seems there was no change with anything related.

Aside from that, maybe the idea of the 'historic and immersive building names' mod should advance to a higher level of....err....work investment.. :rolleyes:
Next year....:D

o-PHOTOS-OF-SLOTHS-facebook.jpg

"let me think this through properly first..."

Last edited:
Added version for post 2.5 patch (compatibility issue) and example picture.

No "historic immersive building names" yet.
Sorry.

Any ideas for sources on old historic building names ?
Suggestions ?
Ideas ?

Still working with 2.6 patches?

Still working with 2.6 patches?

I wil check. Didn't have time, but will update if required.

As far as i read localisation files read order has changed back again. So if it doesn't work, then simply using the old version (before 2.5) shoud work fine.
Anyway, will test and update the opening post or if necessary the mod itself.
Thanks for reminding me. :)

Is this compatible with HIP?