• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Don't know if the sale is still on, but I just bought it for like $2.50. If you do not own it now would seem to be a good time!

ADDIT: and BTW, this was on Gamersgate not Steam. Not sure if it is equally cheap on Steam right now or not.

I also grabbed Grand Theft Auto Vice City (pretty lame so far) and Dungeon's and Dragon's Anthology. All three only cost about $10!

Last edited:
I bought it a while ago in a gamersgate sale, but haven't played, not even installed it yet. But certainly planning to do so.

What else does Chatnoir's mod change apart from breaking up the 3 big clans (Doesn't that reduce the challenge?)?

I bought it a while ago in a gamersgate sale, but haven't played, not even installed it yet. But certainly planning to do so.

What else does Chatnoir's mod change apart from breaking up the 3 big clans (Doesn't that reduce the challenge?)?

I haven't tried the mod, but I can say that it affects to difficulty. If you're playing as anyone else those big clans can destroy you easily, especially if you play as small clan in Central Japan. But playing as one of the big three is almost too easy.

From the mod thread:

1. Additional events
a. Interactions with the Imperial Court
b. Seasonal events
c. Educational events
d. Historical events for each scenario
e. Building events

2. More thrilling battle
a. x3 Movement of the Army
b. Siege check in each 15 days

3. Provincial management
a. altered building effects of castles and cities
b. added new guild buildings
c. All provinces are specialized as economical base or military base.

4. New traits with Japanese virtues and kanji

LOL. It is too bad though, because I find it to be one of the most fascinating periods of history, of any civilization. Beats the hell out of Roman history, imo.
Eh I find roman history more interesting, but I also enjoy japanese history quite a lot. So this game is quite fun to play most of the time, but this is the first paradox game I've played where rebels constantly popped up with 5k to 10k doomstack all the time. Literally speaking no less! x.x

Eh I find roman history more interesting, but I also enjoy japanese history quite a lot. So this game is quite fun to play most of the time, but this is the first paradox game I've played where rebels constantly popped up with 5k to 10k doomstack all the time. Literally speaking no less! x.x

Rebels are intentionally tough in this game. This was after all the era what Japanese describe as "the low oppressing the high". There were quite a few rebellions that drove the local samurai rulers away from their lands.

Rebels are intentionally tough in this game. This was after all the era what Japanese describe as "the low oppressing the high". There were quite a few rebellions that drove the local samurai rulers away from their lands.
True I suppose, but they pop up so often that I can't even wage war anymore as I had to hire a 30k retinue just to keep up with them. Infact the amounts are so nuts that I have to cheat just to keep up with them. The revolt risks are something like 40+ all over the board. >.>

It's still a fun game, but the rebels are on steroids and would make the CK2's constantly rebelling vassals look tame. xD

Are you having provinces over your demesne limit? If you're over the limit revolt risk can go up pretty fast. Otherwise I haven't ever seen that high revolt risks in my game.

Are you having provinces over your demesne limit? If you're over the limit revolt risk can go up pretty fast. Otherwise I haven't ever seen that high revolt risks in my game.
That is what I was thinking as well, but I couldn't find anywhere that told me what my demesne limit is so I have a hard time saying wether it is or not. I probably just missed it if there is due to not being so familiar with the interface.

Oh yeah... are there any advantages to picking a specific religion to follow?

Max demesne for everyone is 5 provinces. If I remember right every one above that gives +5 revolt risk. Having 6 isn't that bad and you can use revolt risk reducing buildings to eventually hold 7 or 8 provinces without problems, but that's pretty much the max you can have. Rest you should delegate to vassals.

About religions. Shintoism gives you a boost to honour, Buddhism to levy and retinue reinforce speed and Christianity to money. You shouldn't have much problems with either honour or money after the beginning, so Buddhism tends to be the only useful religion to follow. Though you can go with Shinto early on and switch to Buddhism when you start to have more honour than you need to. Switching religion isn't really a big issue so you can go back and forth if you wish to.

Ah I see. Interesting. I tend to pick the religion that makes the most roleplaying sense for the char and clan I'm playing. At the moment that's Nobunaga Oda.

Not to forget that most of these rebels are usually something like Buddhists, and major cloisters had *very* extensive private landholdings and access to manpower as well as trained warriors in their service...until Nobunaga and his successors crushed them.
Of course all of this isn't really modelled in the game due to the province-level superstructure.

...ah, another game that actually decently models the entirity of medieval Japan from 1086-1603 A.D. would be...neat.

Considering the huge success of Shogun 2 i kinda laugh at this.

Maybe he wanted to imply that most people don't really know much about Japanese history.

That the sentiment of "samurai are cool" and "katana are stylish" is pretty widespread is a different matter - which already disregards the fact that Japanese warrior nobles of the medieval era were not even called samurai and also were not sword-fencers but first and foremost mounted archers...so yeah, not a lot of people care about Japanese history.