• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

anomalacaris

Lt. General
51 Badges
Jan 17, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
As title says, I am having trouble trying to invite people to my court. Mostly I just need military leaders for the retinues, but even lowborn do not want to come due to 'no reason to move'. As a feudal lord I usually just throw him a matrilineal marriage, but that is not available for republics.
Also despite several other threads I am also unclear how pushing for other's claim for republics work. In order for them to be my vassal afterwards, do I have to give them a city barony first? What if they belong to my dynasty?
Thanks for any help!

That usually involves the combination of two factors: liking you a lot, disliking the current liege a lot. The courtier having claims also helps. You can increase his opinion of you by sending a gift (it costs 20 gp, the effect on opinion tends to be large).

You could always use the intrigue screen to essentially bribe people into your court. Nobles, young women and holy men.

I've only had success inviting people when they have a claim to a title inside their current realm and dislike their liege. Inviting somebody without a claim usually gets that "no reason to move" modifier because they have nothing to gain from joining you (but not always, I don't know why).

if you're really to try enough times, you should be able to find someone who sufficiently dislikes their liege and sufficiently likes you. It also helps if you're well-liked, so high diplomacy and prestige come in use, as well as bribes. Further if you can't get them, try to get their also unlanded spouse. They should drag the other with them to your court.

You could always use the intrigue screen to essentially bribe people into your court. Nobles, young women and holy men.
And if that fails and you really want that person in your court for some reason you can use the move cheat. I've done that before when I wanted to create a Jewish Arabia or Zoroastrian Persia as Israel.

Getting people to come to your Republic is a bit harder. I've found that the Diplomacy bonuses you get (including the amount you get for sending a gift) seem to be less than as a Feudal lord, so in general, people don't like you as much as a Republic. Also, unless you are very big, Republics aren't going to get as many bonuses for being able to press claims (cause they're less powerful).

As the beginning of any game, it's always hardest to get people to come, because most of the negative modifiers (especially from claims) don't apply yet.

Eventually, the strategy becomes the same as normal games.

Typically you will need two (if not 3) of the following:

1. The person really hates his current liege
2. The person really likes you
3. The person has a claim which his current liege cannot press (if he is a claimant to his liege's title, this often leads to him hating his liege and is enough to come by himself).

That does not help when I need particular trait (e.g. Organizer or Siege leader), or when I need people with claims...

I never claimed it would.