• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's the problem with the current business model for most developers. Half-finished games are published with the plan of completing the game through expansion packs (as opposed to 10-15 years ago when complete games were released and expansion packs were only created if a game sold well), and of course the publisher has the right to decide not to expand the game and leave customers with a half-finished game forever. So as customers we either end up paying full price for a half-finished game on release and then suffer with it for six or more months until expansions come out to complete the game (meaning we pay an extra $20 for a completed game). And if we don't buy the game on release we will never get an expansion pack and never get a finished game. It would be a 100% lose situation for the customers if 75% Steam sales didn't exist.

I wouldn't say this game is half-finished. Sure, it doesn't have the depth of a 'main' PDS title, particularly once they've finished their run of expansions, but it is a very enjoyable game on its own. I think it suffered a little because of:

- It's timing of release. I'm not sure why, but when it came out I had other things on my radar;
- Mixed reactions to Sengoku - while I'm very much enjoying MOTE, I didn't really get into Sengoku. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but it didn't do it for everyone;
- The name - I think "March of the Eagles" is a bit clumsy and obscure. A name with 'Napoleon' in it somewhere imo could have helped the game sell much better. The Napoleonic Wars don't have the same following as WW2, and Hearts of Iron is an established franchise, so I think it needed a bit more selling.

I hope that PDS doesn't discard the idea - I think there's a lot of potential for a quality war game set in the Napoleonic period, and they've already got the groundwork laid in MOTE (which I enjoyed a lot - it's a bit more 'gamey' than the average PDS release, but still very good fun :)). I'd just give it a different name and/or better marketing.

I remember before release Paradox saying in interviews that MOTE would not be another "sengoku" in the sense that it is just a half-baked project to test out up-coming features in the soon to be released flagship game (sengoku- CKII) (MOTE-EUIV).

I find this hard to believe as actions speak louder than words. Not one expansion/dlc to the game

I remember before release Paradox saying in interviews that MOTE would not be another "sengoku" in the sense that it is just a half-baked project to test out up-coming features in the soon to be released flagship game (sengoku- CKII) (MOTE-EUIV).

I find this hard to believe as actions speak louder than words. Not one expansion/dlc to the game
But it's not because it was test of features, it's because this game didn't sell well enough.

I love this game and would have loved more development. Its also probably one of the best games to play MP with. Games aren't that long and wars are amazing.

Yeah I wracked up 12 hours on the week of release which is quite a lot of gaming hours for me these days because I loved it so much, was waiting for an expansion or major patch with some new stuff but it never happened. I just bought the graphical DLC so giving it another shot this weekend.

I don't see why we couldn't have some more official time based scenarios around this time period, a war of 1812 scenario would surely boost sales as well and get into that traditional US military historical section of gamers surely.

What's funny is that they actually did have files for some American generals. They also of course have Suvorov (my avatar) who was dead before 1805.

Is this game that bad ?
I'm a napoleonic nerd, and I want a ' fast-paced ' wargame to play, when I'm tired of Vicky II or EUIV multiplayer.

And it's the paradox sales, I suppose that it will be ln discount.
Would 5€ for this game be that much of a waste ?

And is there any good mods for it ?

Is this game that bad ?
I'm a napoleonic nerd, and I want a ' fast-paced ' wargame to play, when I'm tired of Vicky II or EUIV multiplayer.

And it's the paradox sales, I suppose that it will be ln discount.
Would 5€ for this game be that much of a waste ?
I'd say it wouldn't be a waste, definitely not if you have a couple or more friends to play with

I can't imagine they change much fundamentally to the game, mostly just changing the starting positions and relatively minor unit balances. It's been a while since I played any MOTE though, so that might have changed

Bought the game too, and I like it. Though the focus is multiplayer, a little expansion for singleplayer would be nice. Diplomacy, Events and Economy need an overhaul. I like the combat system with the generals and different flanks - feels like reforming an HOI3 army, very nice. Some more generals, better possibilites for new nations/cores, more events, expanding of the diplomacy system and either expanding economy or simplifying economy(useless right now) - and its perfect. :eek:)
PS: the new autonomy from EU4 wouldnt be bad either, in those times there were still large conflicts between the monarch and the feudal lords.

Is this game that bad ?
If you don't have anyone to play with it it is bad for quite a few. If you are a Napoleonic nerd then you probably won't tire that quickly. After playing it a lot you probably will get bored. I don't think the replayability is as good as, HoI for instance (I use HoI because its more comparable then EU and VII). But MP is godly.

1791 mod, Great Northern War mod, and I hear one guy was making a Revolutionary War mod.

Wasn't there someone talking of making a Seven Years War mod? Though I don't think they ever actually did.

The game looks interesting, & the mods released for it might be great, but unfortunately Paradox in its wisdom decided to block non owners of game looking at mod forums on their later releases. Seems self defeating to me, as I gain a lot of knowledge about a game by looking at the mods available for it..