• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1066 start, as Budec Subic, Count of Zadar in the Croatia kingdom?

You begin with Zadar, a county whose city is under Venetian control. Consequently your income will be much lower than other coastal counties.

Your liege is the powerful king Kresimir IV the great. In the beginning he will declare war on Venice. The subsequent war between Croatia and Venice usually ends up with Croatia winning. However, Zadar will be sieged by Venice until rescued by your king. You would have almost no income during this period.

Right after the war, the king would have much less external pressure. (Byzantine has weak emperor in the beginning, so it won't attack you) The king would turn his attention to his vassals. You are one of the only two vassals not from the king's family. And you usually are the weaker one of the two due to having a city less, and gets devastated in the previous war.

The king revokes your title. You revolt. With mercenary you can get by ~3000 at best. NKM doesn't help at all since all you can revoke is a bishopric! The king's army has usually 4000, sometimes 5000. You lose that war miserably, and becomes a monk (if you grabbed the bishopric) or landless courtier (if you didn't grab the bishopric).

Note that I don't have SoA. The absence of it probably adds to the challenge...

(Note that if your liege revokes your title, you can choose to keep that dialog and resume the game until you have enough power to reject that. This is considered an exploit, which should not be used. )

Chapter 37
Restoration of the Carolingian Empire II
Part III

1.jpg

When I conquered HRE, I got in gift some civil war. Because all my new german vassals hated me at this point, a lot of them joined to some war making entire situation unpleasant.

2.jpg

However, good news. Assaulting one prov of leader was enough to make white peace.

3.jpg

Then I could imprision all those dukes! Ofc. I did it.

4.jpg

View for my old (east) and new (west) retinues.

5.jpg

For vassalization of the pope.

6.jpg

Part of Italy was inde and I was having claimant for some of it lands, so conquered it.

7.jpg

Then I killed few rulers of Modena in the row, to have them as my vassal.

8.jpg

Sign to vassalize him.

1.jpg

One fast anti-pope, war, and wuala! Now I can conquer whatever I want, thanks to papacy claims, yes, he can't refuse.

2.jpg

Example of Papa power. Got claims for 3 principalities from Papa, then fast war for it and it's mine.

3.jpg

Before clearing the rest of Italy.

4.jpg

After. (2 holy wars, few assasinatiosn for orthodox rulers where I couldn't get claim from papa etc.)

6.jpg

Getting that 2 english provs from England. (got claims and CB thanks to papa)

7.jpg

As you can see, almost completed HW for some duchy + taking claim from papa for Barcelona. Created there kingdom of Aragon and gave it to some member of my dynasty.

8.jpg

Crusade in process... what's worst, those are my retinues, which lost the battle!

9.jpg

But hey, I can always use troops from HRE to roflstomp some "harder" enemies.

2014-02-27_00233.jpg

How it looked like at this point.

2.jpg

Then just some fast wars for Britanny, Byz (my son has claim) and well, that's all.

3.jpg

Last edited:
Own the empires of northern india (forgot the name, sorry :/) and the empire of persia as the afghan king :)

Could you try the duke of chud in 867? Not ROI, but it should be interesting as you have to fight off the Russian Vikings. Possibly with forming the empire of Russia a goal.

Interesting choice of entry point in India. In my own Nestorian attempt I used a province in Gurajat, but was only because the Saffarid went Miaphysite ( yeah, really ) and because Gurajat allows faster access to holy warring into the interior of India.

Oh, and how did you got to down there to Ceylon? Unless you got a indian claimant or proposedely fabricated a claim there ( but diplo range would be at limits there, I assume ), it would be hard to get a CB so far away ...

Interesting choice of entry point in India. In my own Nestorian attempt I used a province in Gurajat, but was only because the Saffarid went Miaphysite ( yeah, really ) and because Gurajat allows faster access to holy warring into the interior of India.

Oh, and how did you got to down there to Ceylon? Unless you got a indian claimant or proposedely fabricated a claim there ( but diplo range would be at limits there, I assume ), it would be hard to get a CB so far away ...

2 seazones and I was able to declare Holy War on him:

2014-06-12_00027.jpg

However! Probably in India region it's changed. There, holy war have range of 1 seazone, so I don't know about specifics.
As for those tiny islands in left corner of India, yep, used claims.

Oh. My. Gosh. I just read your entire thread in one long night and I have to say I am almost speechless. Your skills are practically in another plane of existence.

EDIT: Can you do Sigfus, Count of Vestisland from 1066? Usurp Norway and do your dark magic?

Last edited: