• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It depends on what you think is boring. Starting as the child king is hard, because you have 2 starting counties (Paris and Orleans), the Bourgogne has a strong claim (which makes no sense IMO, because he is a cadet-branche), the duke of Champagne usally hates you and support the Bourgogne claim, Flanders wants independance and you have a very powerfull duke of Aquitaine and a lesser powerfull duke of Toulouse as vassals. Winning the support of Aquitaine does the trick, but eventually it bites you in the ass.

For a interesting gameplay you can of course try to claim Normandy back if William wins, expand your royal domain and strengthen the French crown, like what the Capetians did in history, break up your powerfull vassals, play with the pope, go crusading, play with the HRE by supporting revolting vassals, help the Spaniards in their reconquista, or invade the HRE, because you have lesser holdings than the HRE.

Sorry for a week-late post, but thanks a lot for all the answers!

Generally I have some sentiment for France, because it was a small, french county on which I learned how to play CK1.

To address some of the issues people had, yeah, I know it's usually more fun to start as a county; regardless of that you'll end up as leader one day anyway, and then the geographical/political location of France seemed detrimental when it comes to "having fun" - which seemed a little counterintuitive, since it steals like fifty shades of blue on the map which no other county/duchy/kingdom/empire could be using. I kinda forgot that when you start as a huge kingdom/empire, you usually have problems with your vassals...

Anyway, thanks. I hope to have plenty interesting playthroughs now. :>

(Also, I'm not a historical major, but they do seem to have a boring history. I don't know much about it, but they seem to be so bored with themselves that they went for crusades.)

France is one of my favourites to begin in 1066. Since the new patch its tougher to maintain the core integrity of the kingdom whilst expanding. My France games usually pan out by fighting everyone within France for 100 years before I can actually conduct a coherent foreign policy. 'Hey chaps shouldn't we join together against the HRE'

*Map Fragments into many colours* 'Non!'

Maybe I'm not very good but its a lot of fun.

Being that I always like to start as a ruler created count, it usually isn't boring. In fact, it's when I become a king that I begin to lose interest usually. I spend so much time getting the history right and making sure my dynasty is prestigious that by the time I become king of wherever I am, I lose interest. And no, France is awesome. Started a game as the Count of Provence in 867, worked my way up to duke, and for 200 years my family have been dukes of Provence. Originally under Italian jurisdiction, the Carolingian empire split into France (now under Capet rule), Germany (under house Ehraben, a cadet branch of the Karlings), and Italy (di Bergamo family). And the Karlings are slowly dying out, just as planned.

France is one of my favourites to begin in 1066. Since the new patch its tougher to maintain the core integrity of the kingdom whilst expanding. My France games usually pan out by fighting everyone within France for 100 years before I can actually conduct a coherent foreign policy. 'Hey chaps shouldn't we join together against the HRE'

*Map Fragments into many colours* 'Non!'

Maybe I'm not very good but its a lot of fun.

This is exactly the way to play France.

FWIW, I just finished a fun game in France. I started as a vassal count from the Third Crusade bookmark, when England's continental control is at its largest. The first century or so I stayed a loyal vassal, helping take back some lost land, bickering with other vassals over titles, that sort of thing. When it seemed the English were no longer a threat I went independent and started slowly acquiring land towards the Kingdom of Burgundy. My plan was to marry into or snatch enough of them from HRE during rebellions that I could declare myself king, but without searing fealty (that'd be too easy).

Unfortunately I ran out of time, since HRE and ERE (which turned catholic) had this tendency to intermarry and come to each others' aid. No way a midsized duke can beat two emperors. Still multiple duchies + gavelkind was a fun challenge that kept me occupied when waiting for the moments to strike. Since I spent the whole game in count and duke tiers, the game was never boring.

France is not boring!
At least, not when you enjoy wine, rotten cheese, frogs and snails, surrendering and hairy women :p
Otherwise you should play Iceland :cool: