• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Avonthalonus

Corporal
63 Badges
Jun 8, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
Hello Paradox Developers,

I really love the new Sons of Abraham DLC and think it adds a lot of great content, and adding playable Jewish characters was awesome, so I very much appreciate the DLC and this thread isn't a criticism at all. However, I have some suggestions to improve the mechanics and accuracy of Judaism as a religion in the game.

Divorce - Currently you have Jewish characters needing to get permission from a (non-existent) Head of Religion in order to get a divorce. This is inaccurate. Jewish characters should have the exact same option as Muslim characters to "Arrange a Divorce" for a sum of money (instead of loss of piety) without the permission of the religious head, or, at most, only the permission of their local Court Rabbi.

Interfaith Marriage - Currently you have Jewish characters able to marry characters of all other faiths. This is inaccurate. Judaism is perhaps stricter than either of the other two monotheistic religions about this; there is no such thing as a marriage between Jew and non-Jew in Judaism, it is not permitted. Thus marriage options for Jewish characters should be restricted to other Jews only. In addition, since Jewish religious identity is passed matrilineally, any offspring from a lover or affair with a female non-Jewish character should have the religion and culture of the mother by default. The ruler can, of course, have the child educated by a Jewish guardian to convert him/her, and legitimized afterwards. The offspring of a female Jewish ruler and a male non-Jewish lover can be Jewish at birth. The offspring between a non-Jewish ruler and a Jewish spouse or lover would certainly be claimed by the ruler's religion and be that religion at birth.

Become the Mashiach/Messiah - This is the equivalent of "Become the Saoshyant" for Zoroastrians. A ruler that has restored Israel, built the Third Temple, and restored the High Priesthood, has technically fulfilled all the requirements for being considered the Messiah (according to Judaism), and thus there should be a final, fourth event for that, granting a similar trait to his descendants as a descendent of the Messiah, or, better yet, upon becoming the Messiah, the character's dynasty and coat of arms changes to the Davidic dynasty, as, religiously-speaking, the character must have really been a true descendent of King David to have accomplished all that, and being of that dynasty or having that trait should confer an opinion bonus with Jewish vassals/characters.

I believe interfaith marriage is allowed due to the small number of Jewish courtiers in the world. This could be solved by having negative events fire if you don't convert your spouse shortly after marriage.

I think some changes like this would be good for the game overall, right now, Judaism feels way too much like Catholicism without all of the catholics benefits.

Many of the cultures and religions feel like "Western European Catholic Light".

For example, why do all the pagans take piety hits for things that their particular pagan faith wouldn't have a problem with, just as if they were "WEC"?

At #3

I totally agree. Even though I don't even know about modding in events, I sure as hell wish I could have the knowledge to mod, so that I could make a mod like that for the Jews.