• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jimjom

First Lieutenant
Feb 18, 2013
Hi All,

dunno if this question's been asked before but i notice the following in version 2.0.1:
Was crusading for Hungary and i was intent on winning it for myself. So i did what all good Christians should/would: Raised all my armies, hired so mercs and went took the cross. All was going great, i had over 50% warcontribution, and soon enough we won the war (with me STILL at 50%+ contribution)
Imagine my surprise when i DIDNT get ANY land, nor titles. Instead, some random duke (in this case Duke of Rascia) got all the land?! When we get the "Victory-screen" it even mentions me as the winner: as the text goes, i get a month-long celebration in my name... CAN I WIN WARS WITH SOME STUPID CELEBRATIONS?!?!

So the question is: Is this as it is intended or is this some bug?

TiA!

I think that if the title you're crusading for has a catholic holder or claimant, it goes to them instead. It makes more sense, in my opinion. Since you're crusading for Hungary, I'm pretty sure the Duke of Rascia was a claimant to the title. It should say what happens if you win when you hover over the crusading flag.

It would be nice to get a bit more recognition -- a long lasting friendship with the ruler whose kingdom you saved? Trait that boosts vassal opinion, perhaps? I won a crusade for Italy almost single-handedly, and the whole thing didn't change the pope's opinion of me much and Italy went to Venice, whose king isn't particularly fond of me for it.

If you hover your mouse icon over the Crusader flag then it should say who the land is expected to go to, if there's still a Christian ruler with a claim on the kingdom title then it goes to him.

If you hover your mouse icon over the Crusader flag then it should say who the land is expected to go to, if there's still a Christian ruler with a claim on the kingdom title then it goes to him.
Same if the crusade is against land whose kingdom already has a catholic ruler (but where a big chunk is under a different religion ruler),
then everything goes to that catholic ruler if the crusade is won. I've received lots of duchies/counties because of that.

Edit: I guess most of that was said earlier in this thread. I'm tired.

I think that if the title you're crusading for has a catholic holder or claimant, it goes to them instead. It makes more sense, in my opinion. Since you're crusading for Hungary, I'm pretty sure the Duke of Rascia was a claimant to the title. It should say what happens if you win when you hover over the crusading flag.

Tnx, this does make sense, i was just kinda surprised!

Crusades are so bugged in this game since SOA -.-

We had a holy war for heretic France, we won nothing changed...

I think it's also possible that the crusade will be perceived as "won" as long as the holder of the title is Catholic, which allows pagans to hit the magical button of white peace called "convert to attackers religion".

I think it's also possible that the crusade will be perceived as "won" as long as the holder of the title is Catholic, which allows pagans to hit the magical button of white peace called "convert to attackers religion".
You've forced the heathen holder of that title to convert to the One True Faith. That sounds like a successful crusade to me.

You've forced the heathen holder of that title to convert to the One True Faith. That sounds like a successful crusade to me.

Except I don't want to expand the borders of Christianity, I want to expand MY borders. I'm sure you understand my viewpoint. Nothing wrong with it, of course. It's part of the game, as it should be.

Except I don't want to expand the borders of Christianity, I want to expand MY borders. I'm sure you understand my viewpoint. Nothing wrong with it, of course. It's part of the game, as it should be.

Well, that's where claimant wars, de-jure wars, holy wars etc. are for. Don't abuse Crusades for the One True Faith for your own deplorable goals.

Well, that's where claimant wars, de-jure wars, holy wars etc. are for. Don't abuse Crusades for the One True Faith for your own deplorable goals.
Why not :p

At least with Norse Great Holy War, when you call it and win it, you get all the land and can expand this way. It is how I formed my Empire and made the Great British Isles all Norse with my kinsman as the King of Scotland!

I actually play Crusades and Holy Wars as expanding the borders of Christianity. (I like to roleplay extremely pious leaders.)

If I get some land out of it, great, but if I don't, that's okay too. I brought religious correctness to the world. I expelled the Norse from the British Isles, I converted all the lands therein to Catholicism. I imprisoned and executed heretics and those rulers who had been excommunicated, etc. Of course I do have my game where I've been holy warring the hell out of a huge chunk of West Francia that's been conquered by heathens. It's too early for Crusades (It's barely after 1000) so I've just been taking West Francia for myself duchy by duchy. (West Francia let them be conquered by Muslims. I'm certainly not going to let someone so irresponsible take those lands back.)

If you're playing a somewhat less pious ruler (and I'm not that pious IRL) looking to expand your own borders, that's a perfectly legitimate goal. Just participate in crusades to reclaim the Holy Land or some such.

Considering that's exactly what their Norman inventors historically used them for...

Not really, not one ever expanded their holdings from a crusade, almost everyone who gained land in the Holy land gave up their land in Europe to their relatives. Aragon was pretty much the only Kingdom to even try making a long distance cross Mediterranean Empire, everyone else accepted that the communication issues meant holding land at that distance apart was pointless.

Richard the Lionheart is the only ruler to take land for himself in a crusade and he had to sell it off twice.

Not really, not one ever expanded their holdings from a crusade, almost everyone who gained land in the Holy land gave up their land in Europe to their relatives. Aragon was pretty much the only Kingdom to even try making a long distance cross Mediterranean Empire, everyone else accepted that the communication issues meant holding land at that distance apart was pointless.

Richard the Lionheart is the only ruler to take land for himself in a crusade and he had to sell it off twice.
I'm specifically referring to the Normans of Sicily (such as Tancred and Bohemond) rather than mainland europeans, even if it more accurate to say the crusades were used by some of them to gain a domain and increasing an existing one was left for non-crusade holy wars (such as the invasion of Sicily).

The system might not be perfect though, with giving to the nearest catholic ruler in the realm. In my Frisia game, France got crusaded because the King went Cathar, and I presume he must have converted all his vassals....except for the Countess of Vexin, who then proceded to win EVERYTHING when the crusade ended.

I shit you not, all of france was owned by a count. She didn't even create duchy or kingdom titles, just OWNED everything at the Count level. Still is that way in game. She only has barony level vassals.