• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RyanFialcowitz

Sergeant
27 Badges
Sep 1, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
I'm doing my first playthrough as a Norse Pagan and I'm getting a lot of titles. I also have a lot of children to hand them out to because of the three concubines. But it's not clear to me what the best strategy concerning their disposition. I initially handed out all the cities and temples but then found I couldn't direct what they were building. . .

So, what's the best course of action here?

- Ryan Paul Fialcowitz

Due to the significance of de iure mechanics in the game, you want to keep the largest titles of your highest tier and then below. So for example if you're a king, you'd want to keep two of the largest duchies (because kings can't hold more than two without penalties). You generally want to keep full de iure duchies for yourself rather than mixing up. If you manage to hold duchies without counts under you, you won't have the problems of counts desiring the duchy.

It's up to you whether you want to hold full counties down to baronies or just the counties while handing the baronies down. I prefer to hold on to county seats while distributing the baronies, unless I have free slots, in which case I hold baronies until I exceed the demesne limit.

With the new levy mechanics it's best to make a duchy with very high troop numbers your capital. Then keep all the counties in that duchy. For the rest, just keep the counties which bring in the most cash. I usually don't worry about what my vassals build or not. If you focus your character on stewardship ("midas touched") your demesne limit should be around 7-8 if you're a king. If you have those 8 filled up with the richest counties in the land you should be swimming in cash.

If getting 8 counties means you'll have more than 2 duchies, just destroy some duchies untill you're at the 2 limit. Duchies are basically worthless once you're a king.

Follow up question - what gameplay benefit do I get for these higher titles?

For example with a city/temple title I can dictate what it's building and, of course, get the taxes & levies directly. If I have a king title I get access to Retinues. But aside from my title, as in the preface before my character's name, what is the gameplay benefit of the higher titles? I mean, I have to pay to make Dutchy and above titles and I'd like to know what I'm paying for!

Also, which ones are the Baronies? Are those the cities with nothing else in them, the ones at the top of the city screen- not the bottom?

- Ryan Paul Fialcowitz

Baronies are basically the castles in the lower part of the county-screen. (The other barony-tier titles are bishoprics and cities). If someone only has a barony, they'll have an orange circle around their portrait.

As for higher titles. Firstly you'll get more prestige for holding a higher title. More important though, is that if you have a duchy title you are able to get county-tier vassals under you. If you have a king-title you can have duchy tier vassals under you. This allows you to expand your realm without going over the demesne limit. You can grant the worst of the counties to someone else.